Need Advice on Turneffe Atoll Dive in Belize

Interested in taking RC Turneffe Atoll's 2 tank dive in Belize but would like to hear from someone who has done it recently.

We are newly certified divers who are looking for a good first time experience that is not too rushed or with a huge group.

Appreciate any input or advice on this port or Costa Maya - we can't do Cozumel

My boy's and I are newbies as well. We will be on the Carnival Legend our dive shop said that this it is a must do but there will be about 2 hours to get to the sight from Belize city. well worth the time and cost. We are also diving in Cozumel. But not with sand dollar our local dive shop is setting up something better for us newbies. Our shop said Cozumel can have strong currents but said Belize should be fine for us.

I am new to diving but was with friends who have 100+ and 250+ dives we dove together in costa maya last week thru rccl. The dive operator was dreamtime dive center in Mahahual. Staff was very friendly helped loading equipment. Dive was very nice but their niceness did not over come their lack of organization. Boats are NOT dive boats but dive sites are very close so we got by. Mahaual is a step or two below a middle east war zone. They have a way to go before they recover from the past hurricanes.

I dove with Dreamtime last December. Their boats are not your typical cruise ship cattle boats, but they definitely are dive boats. Just because you have to do a back roll to enter the water rather than a giant stride doesn't mean it's not a dive boat.

I do agree about the Dreamtime staff, they are great!

I did the Belize dive through Carnival last year. I believe they use the same operator as RC. The pick you up right at the ship and take you to their shop on a private island. The ride was maybe 40-45 minutes. Then maybe another 10 minutes out to the reefs. The dive op was great they broke us up into groups of 6 per guide. They will help with your equipment if needed and I never felt rushed. It's a giant stride off the back of the boat. They even put your fins on your feet before you go In!!

Have a great time!

• 2 months later...

It is a petty long trip out to Turneffe. Turneffe is huge (like the size of the whole island of Cozumel), so who knows where exactly they will take you. When I went, the diving was very easy, little current, and good conditions for a new diver. For an experienced diver, I thought it was overrated and expensive and not nearly the best diving in Belize. I haven't dove in Costa Maya yet, but if you can do it the diving in Cozumel is amazing.

Archived