Captain Marvin's or Stingray Sailing for GC?

cruisecrazy82

If the time in winter is the same as GC, that will mean we can't do the tour with Stingray, we arrive at 10:00 and their tour leaves at 9:15.

I mean standard saving time.You should be there at 9 AM then as the tour won't leave before the ship arrives unless other ships are in port before you guys.I don't know you got me confused now..LOL

Email Michelle and ask her for clarification. It don't make sense to me why they leave before the ship even arrives.Sounds like miscomunication somewhere.

We used Stingraysailing. They only have one snorkeling stop if that helps you make a decision.

How was the snorkeling? This will be both of my daughters first time to snorkel and I want them to enjoy it...Did you see a lot of fish and coral?

Was the water very deep? Daughters can swim, hubby can't;)...

If' date=' however, you are serious snorkeler, you might consider Eden Rock or Sunset house. [/b']

Snorkeling from their docks is excellent sans the boat crowds. Eden Rock offers a one hour guided snorkel to help find your way thru Devil's Grotto.

What was the cost of the guide for 1 hour?

Thx

If' date=' however, you are serious snorkeler, you might consider Eden Rock or Sunset house. [/b']

Snorkeling from their docks is excellent sans the boat crowds. Eden Rock offers a one hour guided snorkel to help find your way thru Devil's Grotto.

What was the cost of the guide for 1 hour?

Thx

How was the snorkeling? This will be both of my daughters first time to snorkel and I want them to enjoy it...Did you see a lot of fish and coral?

Was the water very deep? Daughters can swim, hubby can't;)...

First of all, Stingray Sailing is great! Went last Thursday with Buster and Chip. The water at the sandbar is waist deep. The water at the reef is about 10-15 feet deep, however there are areas where you can stand on the sand in the middle of the reef and its only to your chest.

The Coral and fish were amazing!!!! Better than Jamaica and Cozumel in my opinion. chip was great, he swam with us and pointed out new and amazing fish and coral. we even played with a green moray eel (chip knows where he lives). It was amaizing. they provide the equipment and the life jackets if needed (for hubby). The sandbar and reef are 4.3 miles off shore and it never gets over 14 feet deep. Hope this helps. Kelley

Stingraysailing.com has shade and free ice cold water and after free fruit to eat.its about the only thing free you will find on this island!!

The catamarans are less motion due to less hull in the water They also have a bathroom on board incase..The Catamaran kinda cuts through the water like a knife. You will really enjoy the less crowed catamarans and lots of room as they limit the amount of people on the boat. Very nice people also.

Completely agree. Kelley

We just got back from our cruise and we used Captain Marvins for the 4th time. We always have fun when we have used them. They have a new fleet of boats which have grown in size from their former fleet....they are very big. It appears that they are going commercial (just as another poster mentioned). I miss their smaller fleet of boats which helped keep the numbers down so it wasn't so crowded.

As good as they are, I will be considering a different company next time, one that offers a less crowded experience.

we booked stingray city and went last week - great excursion...had 13 and 15 year old kids, husband and myself - Chip was great, so was Mark, his assistant- boat not crowded - stingrays were not hungry by the time we got there - Chip said it was the end of spring break and they were getting fed for the past 3 weeks, so he went and grabbed some stingrays and brought them over to where we were - it was so cool to hold them and feed them. Then back on the catamarn to another area for snorkeling - I never snorkeled before, so Mark gave me a private lesson - very patient!! Would highly recommend them - you can book directly on their website - stingraycity. They met us immediately when we got off the ship so it was really easy to locate them.

First of all, Stingray Sailing is great! Went last Thursday with Buster and Chip. The water at the sandbar is waist deep. The water at the reef is about 10-15 feet deep, however there are areas where you can stand on the sand in the middle of the reef and its only to your chest.

When you say that the water is 10-15 feet deep at the reef, is that from water surface to top of reef or to the ocean floor? The reason i'm asking is because while I can snorkel, i can't dive down under the surface (too bouyant). If the coral and the fish are 10-15 feet from the surface, i would think that's too far away to really get a good view,and pictures, of the coral and fish. Could you please let me know if the coral and fish are actually closer to the surface than that?

Also one last question for those who went with Stingray Sailing, i've looked at photos and youtubes of the catamaran. I see that there is an angled set of stairs to enter the water. My question is this.. how far into the water do the stairs go? Both my sister and I have mobility problems and the thought of trying to get onto the bottom rung (if it's at the water's surface) seems like a hip dislocation waiting to happen lololol. If the stairs are in the water quite a ways, climbing them to get back on the catamaran shouldn't be a problem, i'd think.

The Coral and fish were amazing!!!! Better than Jamaica and Cozumel in my opinion. chip was great, he swam with us and pointed out new and amazing fish and coral. we even played with a green moray eel (chip knows where he lives). It was amaizing. they provide the equipment and the life jackets if needed (for hubby). The sandbar and reef are 4.3 miles off shore and it never gets over 14 feet deep. Hope this helps. Kelley

Thanks a bunch!!

I saw that you left out of Galveston...I'm confused on the time situation... With daylight savings time, will our ship time be the same time as GC and Jamaica? I know it is for Coz...

This is the first thread I've seen since "discovering" stingray city online today (and now wanting to go SOOOO badly!!!) Thanks for the info about the pros and cons of Captain Marvin vs. Stingray Sailing. I've been on a catamaran before and LOVE it, plus I feel less seasick on them, so I think the extra $6 will be worth it. I'm planning on emailing them this week to book well in advance (as a birthday present to myself)!!

Archived