unscientific way of room availability?

bones774

I've been watching one specific cruise the family is interested in and the price has been fluctuating quite a bit. It is now getting within 5 weeks and the price just went up a bit. If I go to NCL website and see that there are still plenty of rooms left(true) in all categories can I assume that the ship still has lots of vacancies?

Thanks

I've been watching one specific cruise the family is interested in and the price has been fluctuating quite a bit. It is now getting within 5 weeks and the price just went up a bit. If I go to NCL website and see that there are still plenty of rooms left(true) in all categories can I assume that the ship still has lots of vacancies?

Thanks

Sure. Of course that doesn't mean prices will drop.

there may be plenty of vacancies. Or NCL may have sold (but not yet assigned) a lot of guarantee cabins. If the latter, one day soon the guarantee passengers will be assigned, and a bunch of cabins will disappear from your search. The unscientific way to assess guarantees is to go to the roll call for the cruise and ask your fellow cruisers. Of course those unassigned cabins could be sold to an agency or group anywhere in the world or to people who don't post on cruise critic.

so bottom line, you won't know how many cabins, but NCL does. If you are now 5 weeks out, you will soon need to decide whether or not to pull the trigger and book. good luck.

First off, I am making an assumption that the OP has NOT booked anything yet, but looking at it.

If there are lots of cabins, in lots of categories, then there are probably openings. But, you did mention the price went up a bit - was that for one category, most, or all? If a category is close to full, they will raise the price on the remaining cabins.

As the ship fills, prices may go up knowing somebody will call last minute and want to go, no matter what the price.

As to visiting the roll call, you MIGHT get some help. But, since such a small percentage of people have ever heard of cruisecritic, you may not get a good representation of what is happening. I would still go there though as there might be somebody with some more intimate knowledge such a a group coordinator, agent, etc.

What you do not know is if there is some group that is about to call and take 50 cabins this afternoon.

It sounds to me like there is plenty of space, and I'd expect the price to go down to fill the ship. I'd think you are in a good position to get a real bargain, but I don't have a cryrstal ball. Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping. If I miss the cruise it's not such a big deal. It's thanksgiving and I'm a bit ambivalent about taking the kids outta skool for a few dayz anywya. They might end up spelling like me.

Anyway I check a least once a day.

Thanks

If I were you I would get with an online TA and ask them to put you on that ship using a group rate. I did that once...3 days before final payment...and a year after initial booking deposit....and I got $750 off per cabin!!! Then I made the final payment:D..because I knew I could cancel and rebook..as did the TA..so he made good and got me a better rate.

either way if there are fluctuations on this cruise price...i say it is time for you to call...and...negotiate!!!.....this is the sort of thing that can't really be done online....you need to talk to a TA on the phone....and get them to deal.

If I were you I would get with an online TA and ask them to put you on that ship using a group rate. I did that once...3 days before final payment...and a year after initial booking deposit....and I got $750 off per cabin!!! Then I made the final payment:D..because I knew I could cancel and rebook..as did the TA..so he made good and got me a better rate.

either way if there are fluctuations on this cruise price...i say it is time for you to call...and...negotiate!!!.....this is the sort of thing that can't really be done online....you need to talk to a TA on the phone....and get them to deal.

Im well within final date, cruise would have to be paid now. I've been dealing with and dealt with in the past an online agency and developed arrangement with one of their agents who has been good to me in the past, have tried to negotiate prices in the past and even cancelled ressies in the past to get discount and the agent still does not negotiate.

Thanks

Wow, I wonder if we're looking @ the same sailing. I check the price and cabin availability daily....hoping that it will drop some more.....since it's past final payment I'm holding out for the best deal. We're considering a few different cruises over the same time period and we'll go with the best offer eventually! lol I usually book cruises several months in advance but for whatever crazy reason this time around I feel like taking a risk...which is driving my husband nuts...everyday he asks "which cruise did you pick?" Hopefully I'll have an answer for him soon.

Wow, I wonder if we're looking @ the same sailing. I check the price and cabin availability daily....hoping that it will drop some more.....since it's past final payment I'm holding out for the best deal. We're considering a few different cruises over the same time period and we'll go with the best offer eventually! lol I usually book cruises several months in advance but for whatever crazy reason this time around I feel like taking a risk...which is driving my husband nuts...everyday he asks "which cruise did you pick?" Hopefully I'll have an answer for him soon.

Thanksgiving week, Jewel, out of NY! 15 1/2 y.o daughter going on 25, 13 y.o daughter and 12 y.o. son.

bones 774.

We booked the Jewel Thanksgiving cruise 2 weeks ago and since the price has gone up a couple hundred each cabin. The one bit of advice I would tell you is check all the online sites.

They vary widely and change every day!!

Hope you can join us!

bones 774.

We booked the Jewel Thanksgiving cruise 2 weeks ago and since the price has gone up a couple hundred each cabin. The one bit of advice I would tell you is check all the online sites.

They vary widely and change every day!!

Hope you can join us!

Yup, that's what i'm doing. As i say it's not urgent. Kids?

We're not that far from you in Northville.

Bones774,

Did you get some snow on the ground yet in Northville?

We have always brought our kids on all 13 of the cruises

we have done. Usually always on the break/holiday weeks.

They can miss a few days, and 2 of mine are in college so its becomes

hard for us all to get away together.

Good Luck!

Im well within final date, cruise would have to be paid now. I've been dealing with and dealt with in the past an online agency and developed arrangement with one of their agents who has been good to me in the past, have tried to negotiate prices in the past and even cancelled ressies in the past to get discount and the agent still does not negotiate.

at this point..you really don't need to negotiate....just look around for the best price....and maybe a different TA who wants a booking.....I am just suggesting that when you are ready to book...just ask that TA to find a group to put you in....that's what mine did 3 days before final payment....of course it was not a cheap last minute cruise...so even with the 750 per cabin I saved...the TA still made out very well. It was 6 pax in 2 cabins on a 12 day Carnival Med cruise...wasn't cheap cheap...but was very well priced for 12 days...better than most Med cruises at the time.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Bones774,

Did you get some snow on the ground yet in Northville?

We have always brought our kids on all 13 of the cruises

we have done. Usually always on the break/holiday weeks.

They can miss a few days, and 2 of mine are in college so its becomes

hard for us all to get away together.

Good Luck!

we are actually leaving our college junior behind this time...but she has been to Italy 3 times in the past 2 years...on her own dime as well

We bring the kids all the time also, and they do well in school, funny thing though if i asked them to miss school for anything other than a cruise they would fight me.

No snow but frosty ground just about every AM in Northville.

That's what I'm hoping. If I miss the cruise it's not such a big deal. It's thanksgiving and I'm a bit ambivalent about taking the kids outta skool for a few dayz anywya. They might end up spelling like me.

Anyway I check a least once a day.

Funny :D:D:D

Archived