New challenge

Silvermist

What kind of medical facilities are on ships? I have a bit of a gallbladder problem and it started acting up again last week. Do they keep the strong painkillers on board like I'd get if I had to go to the ER for a gallbladder attack? Is the only thing they can do to basically send me on a helicopter to the nearest land hospital? And scariest question of all... how much does it cost to be flown off the ship in case of a medical emergency?

This gallbladder thing is a "pre-existing condition" so no insurance. :eek:

If you would have bought trip insurance within 10 days of booking your cruise, you would have been able to cover the gall bladder problem, as early policies can be bought with a "pre-existing health" clause.

But now -- your best bet is to talk with your doctor and get a prescription for whatever medication he suggests.

The ship is not prepared to do gall bladder surgery, for sure. They may .. or may not .. have heavy duty pain pills, but your doctor can prescribe those and you take the filled prescription with you, "just in case".

Evacuation to the nearest medical facility starts at around $30,000. Another option is to be dropped off at some hospital at the next port. Depending on where you're cruising, that could be a consideration. But then you'd have the cost of any medication, plus the cost of getting home.

When is your cruise scheduled? If you qualify for laproscopic gall bladder surgery, that consists of a small incision, about 3 inches long or less, and a recovery of just a couple of days (no heavy lifting for about 6 weeks thereafter). So if there's time, you could have that done and be done with it.

A change of food (especially to richer foods) can really set off a gall bladder attack. A bacon and tomato sandwich finished off my gall bladder and I was traveling.

This isn't a risk worth taking. Have a heart to heart talk with your doctor. You do not want this to go from bad to worse on a cruise ship with the serious chance of being put off the ship at the next port of call.

Like uppity said, if you buy your insurance within 10-14 days (depending on the company/policy) of booking your trip, pre-existing conditions are included in coverage. So, if you bought insurance then, check your policy! Otherwise, do your best to not have to be helicoptered off the ship!! ;)

I'd get the prescription pain-killers from your doctor, since you can't count on what they might or might not have onboard the ship.

Evacuation to the nearest medical facility starts at around $30,000. Another option is to be dropped off at some hospital at the next port. Depending on where you're cruising, that could be a consideration. But then you'd have the cost of any medication, plus the cost of getting home.

OP really can't plan for the option of being put off at the next port. Beleive the decision is up to the ship's doctor due to liabilities issues.

Don't forget to the add the cost for emergency hospital medical services and any other Hospital expenses.

What kind of medical facilities are on ships? I have a bit of a gallbladder problem and it started acting up again last week. Do they keep the strong painkillers on board like I'd get if I had to go to the ER for a gallbladder attack? Is the only thing they can do to basically send me on a helicopter to the nearest land hospital? And scariest question of all... how much does it cost to be flown off the ship in case of a medical emergency?

This gallbladder thing is a "pre-existing condition" so no insurance. :eek:

Talk to your doctor about having it removed. The laproscopic surgery is a breeze. A few years ago I had it done on Tuesday and was walking around Disney World on Saturday with little or no pain. If it gets too bad,

they can't do it laproscopicly. That was almost the case with me. Then recovery time is alot longer.

Thanks for the info y'all.. I will have to have a chat with my Dr but in Manitoba it's not likely that I'll be able to get surgery before we leave unless it's an emergency situation. They're not real keen on hurrying things along here in Manitoba for "elective" surgery and I'm the only one who has a sense of urgency in the whole equation, y'know?

Such. bad. timing. :(

Silvermist, I know what you mean. I am from MB too. I am waiting for MIR again. See if you can get in in Winnipeg or maybe Brandon. If not cancel cruise now at least you will get some money back and wait until after you have date then rebook. Get insurance when you book.

Good idea about checking with Brandon, Capt! Our DS needed a CT scan and it was a month wait in the 'Peg vs 1 week if we wanted to drive the 45 minutes or whatever to Carman. Duh. We drove to Carman. I hope you get your MRI soon, I had to wait 18 months for mine although I got held up with that whole uranium or whatever it was shortage. :rolleyes:

Dr appointment this afternoon. We'll see what we can find out. I'll drive to Dauphin if that's what it takes to get me surgery in the next couple of weeks.

Well, just back from the Dr. And he actually laughed when I asked if there was any chance of having the surgery in the next couple weeks. I asked about going out of the city and he said nope, wouldn't likely help. I knew that I am the only person in this equation that thinks there's any urgency in this. His nurse is setting up an appointment with a surgeon for me. Hopefully I'll get that appointment before we leave.

He gave me a prescription for codeine in case I have an attack on the ship, and put me on antibiotics for the next 10 days hoping to clear up any infection that might be lurking within. At least he figures that we might be able to settle it down with the antibiotics before I leave so he didn't recommend canceling the cruise. He knows this is a once in a lifetime trip, and this is the only cruise with this itinerary for this year so it's not like if we cancel we can just book another one in 3 months.

So fingers crossed that the antibiotics stop the current flare-up and my Dr is right that since my last attack was over 6 months ago, it might be months before my next one. I hope.

As an FYI my DH fell ill several cruises ago and he couldn't have gotten better care in the ships infirmary. After returning home he was diagnosed with Legionnaires Disease (NOT the cruise ship's fault), which took a few weeks to identify. This can be fatal and it was touch and go for two weeks. However, while he was aboard ship he was treated very aggressively with antibiotics and had it not been for the ship doctor's quick thinking, DH would just be a memory now. Yes, it is a good idea to be prepared in the event of a health problem but the few times DH has had to request their assistance, we couldn't have been happier with the care they gave him.

After returning home he was diagnosed with Legionnaires Disease (NOT the cruise ship's fault),

LOL, but I can just imagine somebody coming on these boards to complain that the cruise ship gave their husband Legionnaires and, therefore, they should get a free cruise!!!! :p

LOL, but I can just imagine somebody coming on these boards to complain that the cruise ship gave their husband Legionnaires and, therefore, they should get a free cruise!!!! :p

We were far from LOL but unfortunately you will probably be right...that's why I emphasized NOT. It's not our way especially since we do know where he contracted it.

Some companies; for example, CSA Fre-estyle & Freestyle Luxe will wave pre-existing conditions if insurance is for full cost of trip and is purchased no later than 24 hours after final payment is made. You might like to check out the trip insurance store website TripInsuranceStore.com or 1-888-407-3854 (Canada or US)

Archived