Renting a car ... self guided island tour?

CDNJehn

Just wondering if anyone has rented a car and done their own thing in Grand Cayman? There are 6 ships in port the day that we're there, and I know the tours are going to be packed. We were thinking of renting a car and making our way around for the day at our leisure. I've done a lot of reading, seems like the island is pretty easy to navigate. Has anyone ever done that?

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the link posts, but we used Cayman Auto Rentals right down the street from the tender pier.

We have extensive driving experience in the Caribbean, and GC has some of the best roads and flat surfaces to enable you to have a GREAT time experiencing driving on the wrong side of the road.

You can basically see the whole island before the ship sails.

• 3 months later...

Gosh, I forgot to come back and post after we got back. Thanks for the suggestion of Cayman Auto Rentals. We were able to eventually find it from the pier and were quickly on the road. We used driving tour #1 that goes up to Rum Point. Instead of heading north where it suggests though, we drove around the far eastern end of the island to see the blowholes. Along the way we stopped at Heritage Beach as well, which was really beautiful.

I had read that the blowholes were not as "exciting" as they were pre-hurricane ... the erruptions were quite small, small enough that my boyfriend decided to straddle one of the blowholes ... just as a huge wave came in and errupted from underneath him. Needless to say, he was a TAD wet. :p

Rum Point was far too busy for my liking so we had lunch at Kaibo Yacht Club as suggested ... delicious!

We ended up driving back to Smith Cove, which was just gorgeous and almost completely empty. It was nice to be close to the port as well, so it was just a few minutes back when we were ready.

Only thing I wish I'd stop for was some Jerk Chicken at one of the many stands along the way. Buy one Jerk get one free. LOL.

Thanks TurtleTagger for the info ... we had a great day!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived