Need suggestons! Tabayana Beach via cruise line excursion vs private operator

cruz guy

We've decided we want to spend the day at Tabayana Beach. Trying now to decide on the details.

Should we just book the cruiseline tour? Its a bit more expensive but I believe there are shuttles that run back and forth so we can return to the ship when we want.

or

Book with either Island Marketing or Bananarama for their day at Tabayana which includes transportation to and from Tabayana Beach along with beach chairs...it cheaper per person, but I'm not sure if we can come back to the ship at any time or if we have to go back at a pre determined time.

or

Should we go with a private tour operator? We don't really want an island tour, just to spend the day at the beach and snorkling, but I have read such great reviews of some of the tour operators.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback. There are 4 in our group.

We've decided we want to spend the day at Tabayana Beach. Trying now to decide on the details.

Should we just book the cruiseline tour? Its a bit more expensive but I believe there are shuttles that run back and forth so we can return to the ship when we want.

or

Book with either Island Marketing or Bananarama for their day at Tabayana which includes transportation to and from Tabayana Beach along with beach chairs...it cheaper per person, but I'm not sure if we can come back to the ship at any time or if we have to go back at a pre determined time.

or

Should we go with a private tour operator? We don't really want an island tour, just to spend the day at the beach and snorkling, but I have read such great reviews of some of the tour operators.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions and feedback. There are 4 in our group.

You took the words right out of my mouth - I have the same questions! :)

Me personally, just like to keep things simple when I'm on an island for a short period of time. I think we're only there from 7am to 3pm on the Glory.

I was also trying to decide, and for a few dollars more booked thru Carnival.

My reasons are: I don't want to get off and search for my guide. I read here on the boards that you have to walk quite a distance, up a hill, if I remember correctly to get to the independent guides. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't want to hire a taxi and negotiate a price so that both parties are happy. Saving a few dollars is not worth the hassles. That's just my own personal opinion.

Carnival tour includes your roundtrip transportation, beach chair, some refreshments, plus, a live band for $37.00.

I've searched the tour on You Tube and it's just beautiful. I can't wait. Just hope we have good weather.

Carnival tour includes your roundtrip transportation, beach chair, some refreshments, plus, a live band for $37.00.

Do you know if the shuttles run back and forth all day or if they just run for a time in the morning and then again in the afternoon?

My suggestion is to email the private vendor (if they have that option through their website) and ask if you can come back when you want from the beach. We booked an shore trip through Island Marketing LTD but had a few questions about it and within 2 hours of me emailing them, they responded answering all my questions.

Most local vendors are eager to get your business so they will probably try to accommodiate you to the best of your ability. Whereas when you go with a large group, you are just another person in the cattle call!

• 3 weeks later...

We used Island Marketing 2 weeks ago and went to Bananarama for the day. No one else had booked them that day so we had our guide, Janette all to ourselves. She was wonderful and said we could leave whenever we wanted if we wished to shop or see a bit more of the island, etc. She said we could also have her take us to see monkeys, zipline, etc. Not sure it would have been exactly the same if there had been others. Go to their live chat and ask...they were very responsive to all my questions when we were planning.

We found that time in port was pretty short and it was easy to stay at the beach which had been our original plan anyway We snorkeled when we got there, had lunch, snorkeled again, had a drink while we dried off a bit and then it was time to go back to the ship with only one planned stop (20-30 minutes) at a shop to pick up a few souvenirs and some coffee.

Our price included transporation, chair rental and a welcome cocktail. Very much worth the price to us and we would not hesitate to use them again.

You do have to leave the main area and walk over a hill which is a steep paved road. Once you top the hill, you will see all the private tour operators. Carnival will not allow them to come inside the port area without a guest from the ship with them.

It may be a couple hundred yards from the port area to the tour operators. The hill looks imposing and the heat and humidity add to your physical discomfort, but unless you have mobility issues....it is not at all a concern that should deter you from choosing private operators.

We used Island Marketing 2 weeks ago and went to Bananarama for the day. No one else had booked them that day so we had our guide, Janette all to ourselves. She was wonderful and said we could leave whenever we wanted if we wished to shop or see a bit more of the island, etc. She said we could also have her take us to see monkeys, zipline, etc. Not sure it would have been exactly the same if there had been others. Go to their live chat and ask...they were very responsive to all my questions when we were planning.

We found that time in port was pretty short and it was easy to stay at the beach which had been our original plan anyway We snorkeled when we got there, had lunch, snorkeled again, had a drink while we dried off a bit and then it was time to go back to the ship with only one planned stop (20-30 minutes) at a shop to pick up a few souvenirs and some coffee.

Our price included transporation, chair rental and a welcome cocktail. Very much worth the price to us and we would not hesitate to use them again.

You do have to leave the main area and walk over a hill which is a steep paved road. Once you top the hill, you will see all the private tour operators. Carnival will not allow them to come inside the port area without a guest from the ship with them.

It may be a couple hundred yards from the port area to the tour operators. The hill looks imposing and the heat and humidity add to your physical discomfort, but unless you have mobility issues....it is not at all a concern that should deter you from choosing private operators.

Would it be better to book through Bananarama directly or with Island marketing?

Would it be better to book through Bananarama directly or with Island marketing?

I think you would would probably get the same result/product/service either way. If I remember correctly, I believe that I chose to book with Island Marketing because their deposit and refund policy seemed very straightforward (and I have since found that to be true as our port of Belize was cancelled on this trip and they quickly refunded our deposit). I think I mostly chose them to be booking with a company that potentially had more at stake via return business from me than a single business owner in an island I may never return to.

But based on my experience there in Roatan, I would not hesitate to book with Bananarama directly if they offered a comparable product to the Island Marketing excursion. Check both and see what they offer...what's included and not and then go with the best offer at the time. I would totally trust both.

We even collected information about the Bananarama Resort for a possible return trip for an extended stay.

Archived