Northern Lights?

mzoom

From what I've read, the best time to see the Northern Lights is later in the year when it gets properly dark eg End September, October onwards.

Have you tried the Alaska ports of call threads - I'm sure there is more info there if you do a word search.

In the summer, the sky is still a twilight colour and so doesn't get dark enought to see the lights.

Also, the Northern Lights are best those years with alot of solar flare activity, we're in a low cycle right now. Also, the northern lights are best with no moon and by the end of your cruise the moon will be close to full, so if you're going to look for them do it early in the cruise!

That said I did witness a freak occurance of the Northern Lights in sourthern Ontario about 12 years back. Happened on a roadtrip to Ottawa while we were in the middle of nowhere. We pulled off at an overpass and stood in ah! While I have seen the white light occationally in the night sky, this time we got the full effect, the multicoloured sheets of light, the waving motion, even the eiry sound they sometimes make. By far the most spectacular natural event I've ever witnessed.

Well...perhaps it was the same night that I saw them? I believe that it was in 1994...about October. I was in Alberta, near Edmonton. I was with a friend in the middle of nowhere. I had never seen them before. I had been there visiting for a few days and had been asking about the Northern Lights and inquiring as to what they looked like and would I know when I saw them...etc. He pulled our vehicle over and I thought that he was about to try to be romantic with me (we were just good friends..nothing more) I could not figure out why he was stopping in the middle of no where! He got out of the truck and walked around to my door and opened it for me and said, come out here...(which I did) He said.. "Look up...they're happening!" OH MY! Yes it was life changing. One of the most glorious things I've ever witnessed! I would love to see them dance across the sky one more time!

Archived