What do to about scooter if it starts to rain

Will be cruising western carib in Jan - was wondering what to do if in port with scooter and it starts to rain:confused: Thanks!

I have seen a woman here where I live that was in her electric chair. I asked her what she does if it rains and she said that she always carries a clear plastic bag to cover the arm/hand controls with and a very large golf umbrella.

That to me is a great idea, except when you are on a scooter, such as I rent for cruising...

So, I also need advice from those experienced when on a cruise. I will have an umbrella provided by the ship (I am in a suite) but will that be large enough and or is there something else we should do in advance, other than staying on the ship in case the weather looks threatening??

BTW, we have had 3 St. Bernards over the years:)

Joanie

Hi Joanie, we must be Saint Bernard kindred spirits then. I think you might enjoy my webiste at http://www.saintbernardkeg.com/keg.htm. We sell Saint Bernard kegs - you will love seeing the photos on the gallery pages of some of our 4 legged customers over the years wearing their "bling". Drool is Cool and Slime Flies When You're Having Fun :D:D:)

new2.jpg

I have seen a woman here where I live that was in her electric chair. I asked her what she does if it rains and she said that she always carries a clear plastic bag to cover the arm/hand controls with and a very large golf umbrella.

That to me is a great idea, except when you are on a scooter, such as I rent for cruising...

So, I also need advice from those experienced when on a cruise. I will have an umbrella provided by the ship (I am in a suite) but will that be large enough and or is there something else we should do in advance, other than staying on the ship in case the weather looks threatening??

BTW, we have had 3 St. Bernards over the years:)

Joanie

I carry in my pocketbook, a good old fashioned shower cap to cover the controls of the scooter in a flash -- the type you get (used to) in a box when you checked into a hotel. Then, in the back I have an oversized poncho to flip over me and the controls in a heavy downpour -- takes time however to get it just right. Umbrellas are good -- but steering becomes tricky. Vicki

I have been out on a scooter in the rain. I keep a poncho with me in the bottom of the basket as I find driving and holding an umbrella to be incompatible. I avoid driving through puddles whenever possible as I don't want to get the motor wet. I have two scooters, a large Rascal as well as a travelscoot. When using the travelscoot I cover the motor with a shower cap if it starts to rain.

When we were at Disney this past March, it rained nearly every day. I took a plastic bag from the hotel and wrapped it over the battery. I then wore a an oversized poncho and draped it over the handles and control panel. It worked out fine. But I do like the idea of the shower cap. Never thought of that one.

Thank You all for the ideas!!!

Got a couple of large ponchos a couple years ago for our 1st cruise to Alaska and never got a chance to use them (hope it's the same next month for the Caribbean!!) And will grab a couple shower caps at our hotel before finishing up packing the overnight bag:)

Thank You!!!

saintbernardlover, I am on my way to your site as soon as I finish catching up on today's CC posts:)

Joanie

I was also warned in another thread to be careful sitting on the scooter in a wet bathing suit. Since my swimsuit is really a "swimdress" with a cover up way past the knees, it is not user friendly drip dry. :):( He recommended drying off as much as possible and using a towel to sit on. He also warned that other people may sit on the scooter in wet swimsuits so use a bungee cord across the arm rests to discourage other people and children from sitting on it.

I was also warned in another thread to be careful sitting on the scooter in a wet bathing suit. Since my swimsuit is really a "swimdress" with a cover up way past the knees, it is not user friendly drip dry. :):( He recommended drying off as much as possible and using a towel to sit on. He also warned that other people may sit on the scooter in wet swimsuits so use a bungee cord across the arm rests to discourage other people and children from sitting on it.

I always fold the seat back down and loosen the tiller/steering rod folding down over the seat back. To loose tiller there is usually a knob that turns or a release level somewhere on the tiller. Works great at keeping people off.

We have two scooters. For rain days, we bungee our scooter covers onto the back of the seats. If we have to park outside in the rain we completely cover the scooters. We also purchased hoods that completely cover the top of the tiller. These hoods have a clear plastic window that allows us to see the controls and has slots to insert our hands into. Our hands stay dry and warm. The problem is they are way over priced. Poncho's are used for most of our bodies. We also keep garbage bags in our pouch for backup.

Oh jeepers! I never even thought of this! Thanks so much for bringing this up, now I'll be throwing a big poncho in with the rest of my packing.

I always fold the seat back down and loosen the tiller/steering rod folding down over the seat back. To loose tiller there is usually a knob that turns or a release level somewhere on the tiller. Works great at keeping people off.

This is a concern too? You mean like total strangers will just plunk themselves down on the scooter when it's parked?!! Talk about ballsy. :rolleyes: I'm so glad people are mentioning all these things so us scooter-noobs can find out before we learn the hard way.

Saintbernardlover - we had a Newfie/St Bernard/border collie cross. Best dog we ever had. So smart, best personality and so intuitive. If you didn't feel well, he knew it and wouldn't leave your side. The border collie genes helped a lot with the drool ;) but I ♥ "Slime flies when you're having fun" -- that is exactly when his slime flew! :D I sure miss him. :( ♥ ♥

My son and I were at Disneyland last year and got caught in a heavy rain. The controls on his scooter got wet, water ran down and caused his horn to blow nonstop! It was horrible. The great people at the Disneyland Hotel helped us by calling a reapirman who came within the hour. He brought a loaner, took our scooter and fixed it the same day and only charged us $40. Disney magic;)

I'v had terrible problem with kids climbing on my scooter if I have to leave it. I've come back and found them on it and the parents right there and not saying a word. I have said had a very pointed discussion with a few of them. They seem to think that anything not in use is theirs.

• 4 weeks later...
My son and I were at Disneyland last year and got caught in a heavy rain. The controls on his scooter got wet, water ran down and caused his horn to blow nonstop! It was horrible. The great people at the Disneyland Hotel helped us by calling a reapirman who came within the hour. He brought a loaner, took our scooter and fixed it the same day and only charged us $40.

I am SO glad you were able to get the scooter repaired! I left mine outside my door at a resort in Cozumel and it rained during the night. Dumb, dumb, dumb not to bring it inside! The motherboard was ruined. It is such a helpless feeling to lose your mobility, particularly in places that require a lot of walking!

BTW, I had to buy a new scooter; my Go-Go is so much better (and much cheaper) than the Lexus Light I'd bought from Planet Mobility, I really wish I'd bought the Go-Go in the first place! Since it's my second Pride scooter--I also have a Revo for when I'm not traveling--I can't recommend this line highly enough.

So. . .bottom line . . . truly respect the power of rain to wreck our scooters, and do whatever it takes to protect them!

Sue

Archived