Shopping for a watch

allen.crawford

Much like jewlery, you need to know what you are shopping for and how much it would cost back in the US to know if you are getting a bargain.

There is a real Rolex dealer there, but I wouldn't buy something assuming it was a deal.

Better to shop a local Rolex dealer to find something you like and then compare prices. Often, you can call up a dealer in a another country and get ahead to know whether to fool with or not.

I feel I have gotten a decent deal on a watch in Grand Cayman. The jewelry store right across from the tender pier (can't remember the name...white building, entrance on the main road) I was able to get as good of a deal on Movado watches. They had a deal on 2 leather banded for a certain price (which is good if you have small wrists) or a stainless watch with black dial (faceto model). The list was $995 and I got it for $299. They were good to deal with although making the deal had them playing the old "if my boss finds out about this one..." game.

I looked around for a Citizen Skyhawk Blue Angles Titanium as well but was unable to locate one. The best deal I could find on this watch was on the ship and at $325 was just a hair better than I have found state-side.

The Movado price looks great.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/index.asp

JR3090-58L JR3090-58L-z.jpg Citizen Titanium Blue Angels Skyhawk $289.00 $289.00 JR4010-51L JR4010-51L-z.jpg Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium Sailhawk $269.00 $269.00

Wow, I wish I had found that site before. When I came home in after that cruise, the TI Blue Angles was all over the TV (race car driver ad) pre-christmas and online retailers couldn't beat the price I got. I think the closest I found was $369. Finding it locally in a jewelry store would have had me pounding the pavement all over. :)

Wow, I wish I had found that site before. When I came home in after that cruise, the TI Blue Angles was all over the TV (race car driver ad) pre-christmas and online retailers couldn't beat the price I got. I think the closest I found was $369. Finding it locally in a jewelry store would have had me pounding the pavement all over. :)

Pre/post Christmas can make all the difference. Nobody wants to discount the toys before Christmas, but just after, they want to move any remaining inventory.

Just before Chritmas is probably not the best time to get the best prices, so what the website shows now isn't really a fair price comparison to what you saw before Christmas.

Archived