Transportation Houston Hobby / Galveston and back again

rjones683-1

Hello,

I have searched around but have not found the best way to get to Galveston from Houston Hobby. It seems that taxi/van will run about $90 to $100 each way. RCL offers transfers for $62 each way. I did not find any hotel/motel that offers transportation from the airport, if I were to come in the day prior. I thought I would post to see if the anyone here have any other suggestions or how they got from Hobby to the port.

Regards,

R

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I have searched around but have not found the best way to get to Galveston from Houston Hobby. It seems that taxi/van will run about $90 to $100 each way. RCL offers transfers for $62 each way. I did not find any hotel/motel that offers transportation from the airport, if I were to come in the day prior. I thought I would post to see if the anyone here have any other suggestions or how they got from Hobby to the port.

Regards,

R

I was told by the travel agent that RCCL transfer was $62 round trip. Are you sure it is each way?

I did much research on this last year prepping for our cruise last may. It really depends on a few things regarding cost, to include;

1) Day of Cruise departure/return, if you're leaving/returning on Sunday.

2) How many in your party

3) What day you arrive pre-cruise and what you want to do.

I had a family of six and we flew from CA the Saturday the day before we cruise and since we had never been to Galveston we wanted to see the sights. Vans/shuttles/Limo's/Taxi from Hobby to the island were all consistent at about $100. Problem with us was six people (3 were children) with luggage and you need a bigger mode of transportation. Since we never fly in the day of cruise, the cruise transportation on day of departure was not happening.

Ultimately, what I did, was rent a minivan from Enterprise(approx $230) on Saturday, we drove down to the island, toured, went out to eat etc had a great time. Sunday morning, drove everyone to cruiseport, drove to enterprise (which is closed) dropped off van and keys in key box, took $10 taxi from enterprise to cruiseport, went on cruise.

On our return, had scheduled supershuttle (Total was $100 w/o tip), got off ship, through customs and to hobby in plenty of time for our flight late in the afternoon. The only problem with supershuttle was they do not like to wait, when they say they are there, they want you there trouble is getting through customs takes longer then you think. It worked out fine but the driver was not happy having to wait an hour past our scheduled pickup time, next time I would schedule supershuttle later, lesson learned.

So for a medium size group, getting all of us and luggage to the island it was a little more expensive to go with minivan rental, but the convienance of driving ourselves, going to liquor store, finding a place for dinner, touring the island was worth the extra $30 - $40 we paid for the rental car.

Good luck.

So far, what I've found is that it is nearly the same price to rent an economy car than take a shuttle (that is with 3 adults). I will only pay extra for parking, which can be included in the hotel. Then when our flight gets in, we don't have to wait. And when we leave the port, we can stop if we need to . We are coming in 2 days in advance so we can spend a little time in Galveston.

I keep looking for better deals.

Supershuttle is a good deal but it does come with a caveat when disembarking. Carnival will tell you that your off the ship by 1030 - 11am....which is true, but having never cruised out of Galveston I didn't realize that once off the ship you are simply dumped into this massive warehouse to wait in an equally massive line, took us over hour and a half to clear customs. I had setup the supershuttle pickup for 1015 - 1030 and supershuttle was there at the pickup time but alas we were not, he had to wait an extra hour and a half and he was not happy (understandable). We did not do self assist debarkation and we found out later that if you hire a porter once inside customs you go straight to the front of the line. NOt sure if that is still true or not, anyway, here is my experience with them in May (see the end of the thread):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150927

It's a great option for $100 for up to 10 people travelling and yes, all of our luggage did fit....but just barely.

Galveston Limosine http://www.galvestonlimosineservice.com Adult OW $45.00 RT 80.00

Scheduled Limo Service Call for times. 800-640-4826 Child $20.00 40.00

Senior $35.00 60.00

Super Shuttle http://www.Supershuttle.com

From Bush airport; Van is $145.00 for one to ten passengers.. From Hobby airport; Van is $100.00 for one to ten passengers.

They do not gather passengers so you have to do it on your own. Reservation num. 800-258-3826 They said usually had quite a few people

Looking for transportation day of cruise.

Taxi From Hobby airport; each way $95.00 Travel time 1 hour From Bush airport each way $150.00 Travel time 1.5 hr

Fare is for up to 4 passengers but not that much room for luggage. (most are like sedans)

RCCI From Hobby $38.00 check for time, believe only one bus. From Bush $46.00 First bus usually starts at 10.00

Book thru RCCI

Port of Galveston

2702 Harborside Dr. Pier 27

Galveston, TX

Port of Galveston website

Directions:

From George Bush International Airport (IAH) - 71 miles:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...etgray_ico.gifExit the airport and turn right onto Eastex FRWY/US-59. Merge onto US-59 S via the ramp- on the left. Take I-45 south to Exit 1C, and turn left (east) onto Harborside Drive/Hwy 275Continue about 4.7 miles to Kempner / 22nd street (which is the street leading into the Cruise Ship Terminal entrance), and turn left. The are adjacent to the terminal is for loading/unloading luggage curbside only

Parking Information:

Port shuttle buses will take guest parking to terminal and vs.

Payment: Cash, Visa, MasterCard (guests can pre-pay for parking by going to the port website). 4-Day Cruise: Uncovered - $45 Covered - $555-Day Cruise: Uncovered - $50 Covered - $607-Day Cruise: Uncovered - $70 Covered - $80

Security at the Pier:

Please expect delays related to security procedures when arriving at the port to board the ship. These procedures have been designed for your safety and all attempts will be made to expedite you through the process as quickly as possible.

For any day of travel concerns you may have, please contact our local cruise line representative, Cruise Service USA at 1.912.996 5591 or us at 1.800.256 6649 or +1.305.539.4107

Bus Information:

Our Texas Bus Program is provided by EZ Cruise Connection For rates, availability and pick up locations, please contact their Reservations center at 1800-327-6700.

Archived