Carnival Ship's security

bodog402

OK OP, once again, lets look at your "scenario". Now we're talking about a new level of "pirates" that don't exist, at least on the high seas. These pirates are of a higher level of pirate than I have read about operating at sea in the last 10 years. Your imaginary pirates have a higher level of intelligence, better hardware and more financial backing. In order for you scenario to work they are going to have to invest more money and time into setting up and prosecuting the operation. Also the type of people involved are going to want a larger "cut" for their participation, therefore they are going to need a bigger "payday" from this act of piracy. Even with the ransom you have mentioned, there just isn't enough of a guaranteed payout to make the operation worth while. If so we would have already heard of an attempt at this, and we haven't. I think the "Walmart" analogy works well here. Anyone who [I]could[/I] try this would only get a payoff like that of robbing the local Walmart, making it not worth while, and those who [I]would[/I] do don't have to backing or the ability.

Your intentions I believe are well meant but your suppositions need a lot work in reality. Conspiracy theories can be fun, but if you want others to believe in them you need better arguments and support than you have supplied.

I'm traveling Christmas Day and briefly gave the matter of Jihadist martyrs boarding the ship in the middle of the night...not for ransom but to make a statement to the Western Christian world.. As I have a vivid imagination I wondered what, if anything, the Officers onboard would do? Good to read Host Mach's and a lot of the informed replies in here. Yeah, it would be pretty difficult to take us over and contain 3,000 pax.. Besides, after two days, we would drive the terrorists crazy with our complaints...:D

I guess I can get some sleep and not have to keep watch:)

[quote name='LemurCat']And there are no pirates in the Caribbean.

Does anyone want to know why?

No?

Too bad, I'm going to explain way.

It's quite simple. It's called the Roosevelt Corrilary to the Monroe Doctrine.

The Caribbean basin belongs to the US Navy, and anyone pulling any shenanigans will have to deal with said US Navy. It's more or less been this way since the 1930s.[/quote]
Cat, you are way smarter than the average bear;)

This whole scenario sounds a bit like the "what it" story my son used about 30 years ago when he was telling me how imperative it was for him to be allowed to take karate lessons.

Sooooo, I gave in and paid for his karate lessons. But even though he is all grown up now he has never once had to subdue any pirates. I guess I wasted all that $$ for nothing.

So, OP, I am on to your trick....you just want us to pay for your karate lessons, right?

Oh wait....maybe you want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action 200-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time?

Like many have said, something could....maybe....possibly happen. Now I am not going to worry about it.

BUT.....all of you worried, please don't book a cruise. Maybe if enough of you worry, the price of cruising will come down and I can book my entire family again this year!! :cool:

God Bless our troops!

Bo are you possibly doing a story line for TV? LOL So your scenario is they are trying to get Carnival Corp to pay bucks to keep the highjacking quiet??? How would the CC get the 2000 passengers to be quiet when it was over?
As for robbing the passengers, most of the money exchange on the ship is through credit cards, so it seems like a really high risk with really low dividends to me.
Cheers, Carole

No?

The Caribbean basin belongs to the US Navy, and anyone pulling any shenanigans will have to deal with said US Navy. It's more or less been this way since the 1930s.[/quote]
Ooh Ra Lemur, Go NAVY!!!!!

[quote name='kyrisong1']Ooh Ra Lemur, Go NAVY!!!!![/quote]

I love me some sailors. If the Philadelphia Navy Yard was still open, I'd be on my third marriage by now.

Back on topic, let's not forget the popularity of cruising with our servicemen and women. Does anyone thing they would allow a ship to be hijacked? Or any law enforcement personnel on board? I highly doubt it.

[quote name='LemurCat']I love me some sailors. If the Philadelphia Navy Yard was still open, I'd be on my third marriage by now.

Back on topic, let's not forget the popularity of cruising with our servicemen and women. Does anyone thing they would allow a ship to be hijacked? Or any law enforcement personnel on board? I highly doubt it.[/quote]
If they play like the Eagles we might be in trouble;)

[quote name='LemurCat']I love me some sailors. If the Philadelphia Navy Yard was still open, I'd be on my third marriage by now.

Back on topic, let's not forget the popularity of cruising with our servicemen and women. Does anyone thing they would allow a ship to be hijacked? Or any law enforcement personnel on board? I highly doubt it.[/quote]
Heck, I fear for any pirate(s) who decide to block stairways/hog chairs/remove auto tips/smoke/cut in line at the buffet .... :eek:
They'd be jumping back overboard before they could start anything at all.

[quote name='kerrytens']Heck, I fear for any pirate(s) who decide to block stairways/hog chairs/remove auto tips/smoke/cut in line at the buffet .... :eek:
They'd be jumping back overboard before they could start anything at all.[/quote]

Well, we all know the Cruise Critic Militia would be mustering on the Lido deck to take them on.

[quote name='bodog402'][SIZE=5]Thanks for all the replies and for clarification, the weapons I am primarily referring to are viruses, such as computer viruses that can take "virtual" control of the ship. I can assure you, that in the middle of the night, in total darkness, when the ship losses power, the lights go off, the circulating air stops and the pirates start several controlled [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]fires within the ship, I truly believe that there will be unbelievable chaos and the staff will be helpless and not be able to control the situation and this will leave a window of opportunity for a potential attack from pirates. If you believe that my scenario is that far feted, so be it. [/SIZE]
[/quote]

There is thinking outside the box then there is lala land. In this case it appears there is a fine line.

FYI- Carnival Corp (not just Carnival Cruise Lines but all of their lines) does have a security office in Miami that does data analysis and looks for threats. Most major international corporations have these. I know someone who just applied for a job a Carnival's Miami office. Apparently, a pretty high tech operation.

[quote name='TVMet']FYI- Carnival Corp (not just Carnival Cruise Lines but all of their lines) does have a security office in Miami that does data analysis and looks for threats. Most major international corporations have these. I know someone who just applied for a job a Carnival's Miami office. Apparently, a pretty high tech operation.[/quote]

Private Security is a very lucrative field. It's a shame most people think of it simply as "mall cop" positions. I know the bank I work for has a very extensive private security force to look after their various assets.

[quote name='funship freddy']Achille Lauro, 1985. Not Somalia.[/quote]

Taken off the coast of Egypt by the PLO.

Egypt has not a coast in the Caribbean, where the vast majority of CCL cruises operate. Also, the PLO isn't exactly in the ship-hijacking business these days.

I think if people consider where they are cruising, they'll find the possibilities of this happening to be very small indeed if they stick to the Caribbean. Even the Med is less volatile these days.

[quote name='kerrytens']Heck, I fear for any pirate(s) who decide to block stairways/hog chairs/remove auto tips/smoke/cut in line at the buffet .... :eek:
They'd be jumping back overboard before they could start anything at all.[/quote]

:D Too true ! A ship full of cranky cruisers would be hard to negotiate with :) If they withheld the chocolate melting cake from me for a day or two, I'd consider taking them on myself...

[quote name='bodog402'][SIZE=4]Once entry is made by those claiming to be migrants or lost at sea or any other reason, an opportunity then presents itself for the armed group to force their way onto the ship. What if planted employees already working joins in and assist the Pirates by immediately taking over the ships communication, the ships electrical grid and bridge. [/SIZE]
[/quote]

I must admit to enjoying this thread...your responses sound like a great beginning to a mystery novel, keep the scenarios coming please.

No?

Thanks for sharing this...I love reading/learning obscure information like this. This is one of the reasons I love coming to cc, there are so many folks here who are so knowledgeable about so many things. I'm serious by the way, in case you can't tell.

Archived