Hook on/Travel High chair

kfinfam

Has anyone ever used the travel type high chairs that hook directly onto the tables while on a cruise? I know there will be high chairs available, and I hate to have low expectations, BUT every time we go to a restaurant the high chairs are SO DIRTY! I would just about rather sit my son on my lap to eat or having to worry about cleaning a chair off 3 times a day :(

So we were considering this travel chair option but wasnt sure if it would work on the dining room tables?? The recommendations say sometimes it wont work well for tables that have only center poles and I just cant remember from my last cruise! We know we'll be getting out and about in port and this option could save us from the dirty high chair issue during those times.....

Also...we have a few more days to stay at a resort after our cruise where this chair might also come in handy so.....any feedback from anyone thats traveled with one would be greatly appreciated!

In four cruises, I have never seen a dirty high chair on a cruise ship. Staff have always been unfalteringly helpful (seeing me walk in with two children, and finding a high chair for me - unasked - and asking where I'd like to put it), and if a seat was dirty, I'm sure they would have taken care of it immediately.

The chairs we've seen have all been one-piece seats without a lot of nooks and crannies to get food stuck in.

Personally, I always feel like I have enough to carry when travelling with children! I would leave a portable high chair at home. Also, a germ here or there will not hurt children but will help build up their immunity. Let kids get dirty once and a while! (I say this after meticulously scrubbing anything my first child was anywhere near, only to find him eating dirt and grass first time he was in my garden... you can't win for losing sometimes!)

If you are really concerned, get some Dettol or Chlorox wipes for a quick wipe down if things look unclean (not that they should! Please notify a staff member if you see such a thing) Much easier to carry than another high chair.

* not to mention that the MDR tables have tablecloths - I doubt you could fasten one of those seats onto a table with a cloth on it.

As far as the ports... you can leave your little one in your stroller to eat, or hold them on your lap if the high chairs aren't up to par.

How old is your little one? Getting ready for a cruise with kids is a lot of work, isn't it?! Have a fantastic time :)

With my first child, I was the exact same way..LOL. :D On her first cruise, I brought our travel high chair. But ours fit on the chair, not the table. The ones that connected to the table always worried me because they didn't look secure.

I loved that seat! Took it with me everywhere.

I had one sort of like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B0000DEW8N

But now I see they make these....

http://www.target.com/My-Little-Seat-Travel-Chair/dp/B002AKLSMW

With my first child, I was the exact same way..LOL. :D On her first cruise, I brought our travel high chair. But ours fit on the chair, not the table. The ones that connected to the table always worried me because they didn't look secure.

I loved that seat! Took it with me everywhere.

I had one sort of like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Deluxe-Booster/dp/B0000DEW8N

But now I see they make these....

http://www.target.com/My-Little-Seat-Travel-Chair/dp/B002AKLSMW

wow thanks for your advice it is very useful!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the hook on seat. It's just one more thing to carry. I brought my girls on a cruise when they were 8 months and I either fed them in the stoller or used the high chairs on the ship. We were on NCL and they had rubbermaid ones. I would just wipe it down with an antibacterial wipe. We've stayed in hotels that also provided high chairs. You could call and see if your hotel will have one.

Our little mister will be 11 months at time of sailing.....

I've seen lots of people talk about feeding from the stroller while in the dining room, but personally I feel like he would be on a whole different level and not enjoying the family dining experience we like to share usually. I have seen pics of the high chairs they provide in the MDR and they seem to come right up to the table which I think we'd prefer.

Planning travel with a baby has been quite overwhelming at times but my husband says I tend to overprepare, lol....ok true, but I dont think any of us would prefer the alternative!! The nice thing about the Chicco hook on seat I had my eye on was that it folds and packs nice and neat in a travel bag and I could easily throw it over my shoulder or put it in the basket under the stroller......

Thanks for the feedback, its always nice to hear all sides to help me make my decision!

Archived