Doctor on the SUN?

CruiseSuse

We will be cruising on the SUN in less than one week...yeah!

And, of course!!, my 21/2 year old was diagnosed with an ear infection yesterday! Wouldn't you know it?! :rolleyes:

Anyways, the doctor said he will be fine flying and cruising, but we should get him checked by a doctor in 10 days. So my question is: is there a doctor on the cruise who could check his ears?

Only 6 more days...can't wait!

And is there anybody else cruisin on the SUN on 02/26??

My DD (now 18) had frequent ear infections as a child. I remember getting ready to go camping when she was about 6 months old, and of course, the night before, she came down with an ear infection. I asked the doctor if it was OK to take her, and he said the antibiotics would work just as well camping as they would at home, so we went. A little different, because of course we weren't flying, but as long as it isn't bothering him I wouldn't feel too guilty.

There is a doctor available on the Sun, but I have no idea what the fees are. Maybe someone else will have more info.

We sailed on the Sun on 1/29/05. I actually had to go see the doctor. I am not sure how insurance works for covering it (i.e. your own health coverage and/ or travel insurance). It might be something you want to look into to see if it would be possible to submit it to one of those to be reimbursed.

The big key is to go during regular hours, which are very limited. I don't know exactly what they are, but I was contemplating going around 3:30 in the afternoon and found out that they the medical center was open from 4:00 - 5:00 pm and I knew I could wait another 1/2 hour. When I got down there, I was glad that I did. The office visit fee was $50 during regular hours and $100 during off hours. The doctor was very nice and seemed to know what she was doing.

I've only been to the health office once on a cruise and actually it was a good experience. Never actually saw the doctor, a nurse treated me and she was just great. You are right about the hours though, going during the posted times can save you a bunch.

Anyways the bill for the visit and the meds went to my onboard account, the office gave me a detailed invoice I sent off to my insurance company who treated it as an out-of-network claim. Relatively painless overall.

As always it's really important to check your health insurance will cover you outside of the country. My plan is ok so I just make sure I get insurance to cover cancellation and medical evacuation.

Could your home doctor maybe give you 14 days of antibiotic to cover the cruise time and then get him checked when you get home? When my son had frequent ear infections the ENT didn't even trust the pediatrician to catch them. I'm not sure you would want to rely on a cruise ship doc who probably doesn't do a lot of ear checks (although chances are after 10 day antibiotics, there isn't anything to see anymore). :)

Thanks for all your replies!

I will go to the doc just the day before we leave and then he will have been taking the antibiotics for 6 days. They are prescribed for 10 days and he should be fine. He is a tough little one and I'm sure there is enough distraction on the ship for him ;) . There are fridges in the room though, aren't they? I also take a cooler and ziplocks for ice!

5 more days and counting!!!!

Archived