Eurodam vs Disney

tinwonder

We loved the Disney Magic, and thought we wouldn't find a cruise line we liked as well. However, we did...HAL. We cuised the Eurodam this past spring. The staff was a sweet and caring on the Eurodam as they were on the Magic. (Maybe even a bit more!) I think the Lido had more variety than Disney, the MDR room meals were equal to Disney's. I preferred DCL's entertainment more, but then again I'm a disney nut. My husband enjoyed HAL's shows more than Disney's. Both ship are beautiful, but HAL had fresh flowers everywhere and the smell was awesome. An added plus with HAL is there variety of itineries, DCL is very limited.

Opps, forgot you asked about cabins too. The cabins were the same size with all the same amenities. However, the Eurodam doesn't have the split bathroom like DCL category 10 and above. I think the shampoos and soaps are Elemis on HAL, whereas DCL uses h2o.

By the way the Eurodam, was my favorite sailing so far.

I've done 9 DCL cruises, and 11 on HAL. I'm also a major Disney nut and DVC member who spends lots of time at Walt Disney World. That said, DCL is a great cruise but it pales beside HAL. HAL has much more elegant (without being stuffy) atmosphere, and service is even better than on Disney. I like the HAL entertainment over Disney's, because DCL gears almost every show to the pre-school set and I'm long past that <g>. HAL's cabins are just as large & nice (deeper balconies) but don't have the split bath. That's no big deal for me, since I usually cruise solo. HAL's promenade deck is much nicer and I like the smaller ships (and fewer passengers on board the ships of similar size to DCL). Mostly I like not having 1000 kids on board!! DCL's Palo was my pick for best specialty restaurant at sea, until I tried Eurodam's Tamarind. I'm not even a big "asian fusion" person but Tamarind was incredible in terms of food AND service. It made Palo (my previous favorite) seem like a Sonic Burger joint by comparison (ok, somewhat of an exaggeration but Tamarind set the bar much higher than Palo).

I'm on Eurodam for the 2nd time in March, doing the same itinerary & staying in the same cabin as I did last November. I'll be booking Tamarind very soon, too!

Sue/WDW1972

Zuiderdam 11/23/10

Eurodam 3/5/11

Thank you for the replies. I have been nervous to try another line because I feel we have been spoiled. We are Disney nuts as well. Thanks for the info., it will make our decision easier knowing that the Eurodam is a quality ship. Now to do all kinds of research! Any recommendations on where to find the best info. on the Eurodam?:)

I'm sure you will enjoy the Eurodam. I have sailed both Eurodam and Magic, and I liked them both for different reasons. On Disney, it was our family of 10, including kids. Can't beat DCL with kids. But, as stated, HAL offers a more refined cruise exeprience.

Haven't sailed on the Eurodam yet (will in less then 2 weeks, though), but have sailed on the Oosterdam and 2 of the Disney ships. I liked all 3 alot. I liked that Disney had the curtain to divide the room, no other ships I've been on had that. I also liked that Disney had a LOT of adult only areas, which they kept that way, and it's easy to enjoy a Disney cruise hardly ever seeing any kids. I liked the idea of the changing restaurants that Disney has and to date, Palo has been my favorite dining experience (looking forward to trying the Pinnacle and Tamarind on the Eurodam since I hear a lot of good about them). I also liked the Disney movie theatre and the new movies (Disney, but they were still good). When we were on the Oosterdam, we were told the "movie" room was being used for a special group so there weren't movies. But from what I saw, the room wasn't a theatre. I'm hoping there's a theatre on the Eurodam for movies separate from the main stage---I thought I read that there was. On the Oosterdam, I liked the decor better. Also thought the food was the best of the lines I've been on so far. I thought the shows were better --- not being based so much for kids. I also really enjoy the computer and culinary classes offered on HAL. Best of all, we're sailing in our first balcony in 2 weeks for less then half price of the Disney OV room we had. ohhh---and LOVED Castaway CAy---even have an adult only beach there. I'm hoping Half Moon Cay is as nice. Our Oosterdam cruise was out of California so no private island there. PS--I may sound like a kid hater, but I work around kids and like a little more peace and quiet on vacation.

We sailed on the Wonder and have been on the Noordam, too. Service is close, with an edge to HAL. I agree with all other posters about the flowers and elegance of the HAL ships.

As for the food, though, we found the HAL food far, far superior to that on DCL. I also found the dining rooms on DCL to be, while creative, a bit claustrophobic with the low ceilings and location with few window seats available.

On the other hand, the deck parties on DCL were really fun, and I, too, love DW and WDW.

You will have a great time!

I also liked the Disney movie theatre and the new movies (Disney, but they were still good). When we were on the Oosterdam, we were told the "movie" room was being used for a special group so there weren't movies. But from what I saw, the room wasn't a theatre. I'm hoping there's a theatre on the Eurodam for movies separate from the main stage---I thought I read that there was.

None of the HAL ships have movie theaters as big or as nice as on DCL. However, 9 of the HAL ships have decent rooms for watching movies. Those ships are in the S class, R class, and the Prinsendam.

Oosterdam is a Vista class ship and has a tiny screening room (and the same, unfortunately, is true for the Signature class ships Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam).

LOVED Castaway CAy---even have an adult only beach there. I'm hoping Half Moon Cay is as nice. Our Oosterdam cruise was out of California so no private island there.

Half Moon Cay does not have an adults only area, but HAL cruises usually have fewer children anyway. Tendering is also required for Half Moon Cay, unlike the operation as Castaway Cay.

However, Half Moon Cay has a wonderful beach for sunning and swimming. The BBQ lunch area is decent as well. It does seem to be one of the favorite ports for HAL guests, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Half Moon Cay might be crowded when 2 large HAL ships are there at the same time but I haven't been there on such an occasion to judge for myself.

Half Moon Cay does not have an adults only area, but HAL cruises usually have fewer children anyway. Tendering is also required for Half Moon Cay, unlike the operation as Castaway Cay.

However, Half Moon Cay has a wonderful beach for sunning and swimming. The BBQ lunch area is decent as well. It does seem to be one of the favorite ports for HAL guests, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Half Moon Cay might be crowded when 2 large HAL ships are there at the same time but I haven't been there on such an occasion to judge for myself.

I'm really looking forward to Half Moon Cay---crowded, or not! I just hope it's sunny and warm and not too windy.

Archived