Short visit to Malaga, Spain

I don't know what time of year you'll be going, but I spent a lot of my time in Malaga on the beach! They also have tons of shops along what I'd say is kind of a boardwalk (tons of wooden steps from the streets down to the beach with shops lining them). I ended my trip to Spain in Malaga and bought many souveniers there. My suggestion is to buy some of the 'damascene' there. They sell plates, jewelry, fans, swords, etc. all with gold inlaid in black. I searched for it and here's an example of the stuff:

http://www.lands-faraway.com/damascene-about.htm

I think it was made famous in Toledo, but they have a lot of the stuff in shops in Malaga too -my plates are my favorite souveniers years later. My trip was about 8 years ago so I can't recall much more (like names of shops or restaurants), but I SWEAR by this site for all my travels, especially after I know the exact locations I'm going. There are frequently asked questions on the right and I'm attaching the forum page to ask the local experts!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187438-i333-Malaga_Costa_del_Sol_Andalusia.html

About 50 yds from the ship is a GOGO double-decker stop. comes by about every 20 min.e About 10 min walk is cathedral (you can see it). Across the street are many sidewalk cafes/ upscale shopping

We were a bit disappointed to be going to Malaga on a Monday, when the Alcazaba, Picasso museum and other sites were closed. Still we thought, there is a beach, and very nice it looked too, no more than 10 minutes walk from the ship. However it was raining....

We DID enjoy our stop though- took a horse and carriage ride, had coffee in a very prettily situated cafe behind the cathedral, and went to Picasso's birthplace where we found him sitting on a bench just waiting for company and photos (well, a sculpture of him obviously).

kate

Archived