Jaguar Rescue Center vs. Sloth Sanctuary?

Stacey779

What's the difference between the Jaguar Rescue Center and the Sloth Sanctuary? I know the JRC is further from the port, but from what I've read it sounds like they don't usually have jaguars there, and the main attraction is the sloths. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth it to spend the extra time to go to the JRC or if we should just go to the Sloth Sanctuary. I really just want to see and pet some sloths! :) Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Hi folks,

we are just back from our cruise and this is an overview of our trip to the Jaguar Rescue center on October 21, 2010.

First of all, no one on our ship had heard of it (HAL Zuiderdam). I had researched it (like you are doing) on various web sites. So we walked off of our ship in Puerto Limon and asked one of the many tour operators waiting to greet you near the port exit. (but still inside the port area). First person knew nothing but their boss said it was at least a 3 hour drive away. It is not. Moving on about 20 feet, we found another fellow who wasn't totally sure but made an effort to find out. His estimate was about 1 hr 20 min drive. About right. We told him that all we wanted to see was the JRC , no shopping malls, no factories, no souvenir shops. Just go and be back in time for our 3:30 sailing. So he told us he would arrange it for $50 each. There were just the 2 of us. I said I was thinking more like $40 each. He told us to wait and dissappeared. Meahnwhile, we started talking to a local guide who usually works for the cruiselines but was there on his day off. He told us that he could accompany us and give us a really great tour. First guy came back and said he had found us a ride there and back for $90, best he could do. We said OK. THe guide, Roy, said for him to come with us would cost money for him. Of course, he was there to earn a bit too. We resisted and the guide, the "fixer" and the driver worked out a deal where we would pay an extra $20 and the guide would be ours for the day. So we did. THis was a good deal for us as it turned out. Our transport was one of the ubiquitous red taxis that you see in Peurto Limon. Our drive spoke little english but Roy was great. Off we went, stopping to see some howler monkeys at the side of the road and stopping at a fruit stand for some snacks if we wanted. Roy gave us lots of info about what we were seeing and Costa Rica in general. Neither the driver nor Roy had heard of the JRC but it showed up on Roy's GPS and they knew people to ask along the way. Turns out, the JRC is easy to find, just 3 km south of Puerto Viejo on what looked to be the main road. Had a big sign. We did ask a friend in Peurto Viejo to be sure. Anyway we found the JRC with no trouble.

Here is what we found:

The JRC was created by two people from Barcelona who met, married(?) and settled in Costa Rica. One was a Monkeyologist, one was a snakeologist. Because of their back grounds, local people began bringing them injured animals to see if they could help. From that, grew the JRC. Turns out that they have a 9:30 tour and an 11:30 tour although you can arive anytime and look around. Admission is $12. Larger groups (10) can get a private tour. The tour begins with a bunch of snakes in glass cages that you can get up close and personal with. Fortunately, they are behind glass because there are some very deadly ones. We then visited the monkey house. This is a roughly 10ft by 10ft cage that is full of baby howler monkeys. In we went. In seconds, the monkeys were all over us. Sittling on our heads, draped around our necks, held in our arms, using us for launching pads as they leaped for the dangling ropes. It was a great experience. These monkeys were all brought to the JRC as babies that had either been injured or fallen and been abandoned by their troup. Once they reach a certain age, they are reintroduced to a troup to see if the troup will adopt them. So far, this has been quite successful. Anyway, this was a highlite for us. We also saw some young Toucans who were free to fly away but had adopted the place, an eagle whose wing was so badly broken that it could not be fixed and was now a permanent resident, two spectacle owls, one of which could be released soon but the other was too badly damaged, and a hawk waiting for it's own wing to heal. As well, we say some caymens, various frogs and some baby sloths. We were not alowed to touch the sloths for fear of transferring diseases. We saw both 2 toed and 3 toed baby sloths plus an adult sloth who had had a very badly broken arm. For the first time anywhere in the world, to their knowledge, a vet operated on the sloth to try and fix the arm. Risky, because no one knows much about them and say, how much anethetic they can tolerate. Anyway, after a 4 hour operation, this guy is back climbing. He has 1 more operation to go to remove the external splint that is screwed into his arm. Eventually, they hope to release him. The final animal was a Marguay. This is a jungle cat that looks like a jaguar but is about as big as an Ocellot. Beautiful but not touchable unless held by the owner. There are no Jaguars at the center. At least, there wasn't when we were there. The guided tour was very informative and the interaction with the monkeys was a highlite. The JRC is essentially a place trying to do some good for the injured animals of the area. We recommend it highly for a visit. Our guide and driver both accompanied us on the tour as they had never seen it themselves. They both thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to bring their families back.

On our way back, we stopped for lunch and a walkabout in Puerto Viejo. THis is a really charming little town and our local restaurant, (Some stools right on the beach) served us a great lunch. We bought lunch for our driver and guide. Total cost for 4 including beers and other drinks and tip, $40.

We were back to Puerto Limon by 2 pm and had time to wander the streets before the ship left. There is a large, trafic restricted street about 1 block from where you exit the port. This streets has lots of shops and a large market if you are interested. An easy walk.

All in all, this was a great day for us. All the more so because our driver and guide were as enthralled as us with what we saw.

Other notes: If you walk right outside the port gates where the taxis are waiting, I'm sure you could arrange an even better deal than we got. THe website for the JRC is http://www.jaguarrescue.com/. the only tour operator I found was JJ, mentioned on this site. He needs a minimum of 6 people and charges about $80 a head and gives an all day tour. His email address is joiner72@hotmail.com

If I can provide any further information, let me know.

Gord

O

Great review- thanks for sharing it with us!!

We went back in September and the JRC was the highlight of our cruise. The main attraction at JRC is not sloths although they do have them there- babies and one adult right now, but it is definitely the baby howler monkeys. Where else can you go and be surrounded by all these little baby monkeys climbing on you, playing with you, etc? Too much fun!

JRC and the Sloth Sanctuary are close to each other. One can easily do both in the same day, but they look like two totally different experiences. We would definitely do both next time. And I totally agree about stopping in Puerto Viejo- great little beach town!

The Sloth Sanctuary just has sloths and you will not get to hold them. Sloths are easily hurt or made sick from too much handling. I held one in Cartagena for a photo but after going to the sanctuary later on the cruise I was sorry I did. People using them for photos to make money often don't take care of them. If they die you just get another. The sanctuary is a nice tour and you will learn a lot about sloths.

<<<Karen>>>

Archived