Tropical Fish Identification

banditoo

After looking at so many pictures of the beautiful fish we can expect to see on our upcoming excursions in French Polynesia, I would love to be able to identify some of them. Does anyone know of a good website or book for identifying tropical fish?

I' m sure if you visit your local book store there will be books of tropical fish. In fact, I remember years ago there was a booklet that had coated paper, and you could take it into the water with you snorkeling, so you could actually use it to identify fish as you were in the water. If not in your book store, then try Amazon.

After looking at so many pictures of the beautiful fish we can expect to see on our upcoming excursions in French Polynesia, I would love to be able to identify some of them. Does anyone know of a good website or book for identifying tropical fish?

You might check here http://coralidea.com/download3.html and download the guide

This card is exactly what I would be looking for. I checked my local dive shop but they don't carry the Tahitian ones though. On the website, the cards cost $5-6.00 but the shipping is $20.00 (and the cards aren't much bigger that a 5x7 laminated photo)! I will keep looking and maybe even find them in Tahiti. The dive shop figured they should be available everywhere one we get there. I wonder if anyone who has been to Tahiti before recalls seeing the cards there?

This card is exactly what I would be looking for. I checked my local dive shop but they don't carry the Tahitian ones though. On the website, the cards cost $5-6.00 but the shipping is $20.00 (and the cards aren't much bigger that a 5x7 laminated photo)! I will keep looking and maybe even find them in Tahiti. The dive shop figured they should be available everywhere one we get there. I wonder if anyone who has been to Tahiti before recalls seeing the cards there?

I did end up ordering that fish ID card after all by ordering it to a friend's place across the border in Washington a few minutes from us. Shipping to her place is $2.24 vs the $20.00 it would cost for it to be shipped to Vancouver!

Hi Folks:

I tried to download this and was able to do part of it without descriptions. It says you can download to an IPOD touch, but I couldn't find any way to do it and they have no contact info on the site. Does anybody know?

Thanks. Narnia1;)

I haven't been on the page for a while. I went back and here are my thoughts.

1. On the home page, http://coralidea.com/index.html, you will see the following:

"10.8.08 Well here it is, the first complete Fishidea guide to reef fish identification and information. Putting together this guide was a whole lot more work than we had anticipated but the result has been well worth the effort. We will be working to develop separate webpages for the Coral and Fish guides but in the meantime you can visit the download page to learn more about each one."

2. The Fishidea link takes you to the page that contains the pictures for the fish in the inventory. This appears to be a computer only application. It downloads as a .zip file and can be extracted into any folder on your computer. Of course, the files can also be printed after extraction.

3. The download page takes you to the coral id program. The download button will place the coral program on your computer. Next to the download button is a link to viewing the program with instructions on how to extract files to the iphone. I own a blackberry so I can't verify if it works. Nevertheless, all the coral files can be extracted to a computer folder and printed out the same way as the fish id files in 2 above.

4. It doesn't look as though much has been added for a couple of years so I'm assuming no work is being done to make the fish id into a phone app. They either ran out of money, time or interest.

If you have any further questions, just post.

Archived