Norwegian Jewel New England Cruise - cabin selection help please.

We were on the jewel last year for a transatlanic crossing... and we had an aft balcony.

The 2 in the centre of the aft are just normal balcony cabins, you should be able to get it for normal balcony rate.

It was lovely..... no wind, and sitting on the balcony staring at the wake was awesome!!

We are trying to decide if we should reserve OV rooms or balcony rooms for our New England cruise with our relatives. Is it worthy the money to get a balcony for Oct? Which side of the ship gets a better view, port side or starboard?

Your help is appreciated.

Our first cruise with a balcony left New York in February.. not necessarily balcony weather. DH enjoyed having that private space so much that he has informed me that he will not travel without a balconyy again. We had an AC penthouse last cruise and he wasn't as adamant about getting another suite as he was about a balcony. (I did manage an AE which he is happy with)... I guess it would depend on how much the difference was and how tight your wallet is at the time. We don't have the time to take a big vaction more than once a year so we don't mind spending extra when we do. If we had more time, I am sure that I'd cut back on cabin to sail more.

I did the Jewel canada a couple of weeks ago. There were lots of issues but that is not what you are asking. I would not invest in the balcony as the weather was rainy and cold and when we went ashore you did not see one person using the balcony. I guess it depends on when you go but they were never even able to use the outside decks because of the wind. Some people just love balconies but this was one cruise that I did not see them even used.

Thanks for the quick replies! This cruise is a gift to my parents and they have only stayed in inside rooms before. We all thought it will be a nice treat for them to either get an oceanview or balcony room. It's $300 more for a balcony. We are going early Oct 2011. Do you think it's worth it? The rest of the group may stay in OV or interior.

Does it make any difference if the balcony room is on port side or starboard? I know my mother would love to be able to see the coastlines from her room.

jkeller527, what kind of problems did you encounter on board? I heard the Jewel had some kind of mechanical problem. Is it fixed?

We have not cruised with Norwegian before. Do you like the freestyle dining? Our other option is Princess Caribbean, but it's more expensive though.

Thanks!

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle asked: ....Does it make any difference if the balcony room is on port side or starboard?....

In general, the cabin location (port or starboard) side for NE/C cruises is not as important as it is for other destinations. Most passages between ports of call are done at night and off shore. The only time a person could see the coastline would be on the arrival at or the departure from the port of call assuming one is an early riser or it is not too dark at departure. What you don't see on the way in, you should see on the way out.

SBtS

jkeller527, what kind of problems did you encounter on board? I heard the Jewel had some kind of mechanical problem. Is it fixed?

in answer to this, no the mechanical engine issue will not be fixed until it goes to dry dock later this year. It has to sail at a reduced speed which meant they had to shorten our port times. That would have not been so bad but then not only were we late to the ports but they either had a problem with the tender or they had a problem with the gang plank at every location. Getting on or off the ship was a night mare. We deemed it the Cruise of Delays. Was just very frustrating. We didnt get off the ship when we returned to NY until 1130. They just had trouble with embarking and disembarking pax where ever we went. I think the crew was ready for the Carribean or they were cold because they were very robotical and except for a few the service was less than I have had on many other sailings. Price is always good and freestyle is great but they need to get more organized. I am now rebooking to go on the Crown in a couple of weeks with Princess. They too could have issues but I have sailed them more and do see a definate difference, in organization. Maybe this is not always the way it is but it was repetitive at all the ports.

Archived