Roll Call NCL DAWN Nov.28

hot4l69

• 3 weeks later...
We are flying into Fort Lauderdale Thanksgiving night and will be hanging out there until Sunday.Any recommedations on must do's in Fort Lauderdale.

Hi there!

We are Fort Lauderdale locals... so I provide lots of recommendations. Just out of curiousity, how are you getting to the port?

We were planning on driving, but $100 for parking (5 days x $20) seems a bit steep. Though, I haven't found any more affordable solution.

What are you looking for as far as Fort Lauderdale? Are you familiar with Wilton Manors? This is the "gay" district within town. Let me know if you're seeking shopping, relaxing, bars, etc, and I can make some recommendations.

Chris

Hi chris,

We are renting a car and then dropping it off in Miami.We are using sas transportation to get back to Fort Lauderdale it is 15 dollars per person.Check them out on line.It appears many cruisers use them.We would do an invite but we have an econo car and probably would not fit with luggage.When in Fort Laudrdale we are interested in a decent place to dine but not over the top,a bar would be nice and were on the beach is a good place to hang out.Actually are there any bar/grill type places on the beach that are gay friendly?

Thanks deb

Hi chris,

We are renting a car and then dropping it off in Miami.We are using sas transportation to get back to Fort Lauderdale it is 15 dollars per person.Check them out on line.It appears many cruisers use them.We would do an invite but we have an econo car and probably would not fit with luggage.When in Fort Laudrdale we are interested in a decent place to dine but not over the top,a bar would be nice and were on the beach is a good place to hang out.Actually are there any bar/grill type places on the beach that are gay friendly?

Thanks deb

On the beach, my favorite restaurant is Casablanca (which is right near the 'gay' beach - Sebastian.) The food is great at Casablanca, service good, and a nice atmosphere.

Traveling off the beach, but not far, check out Mojo for dinner. Mojo is on Federal Highway (between Commercial and Oakland Blvds on the east side). Try the specials. Gay owned/operated. I've NEVER had a bad dish at Mojo.. and there are few restaurants I can say that about!

Be sure to make it in to Wilton Manors (about a 4 mile, 10 minute ride from the beach). Within the manor:

Sidelines Sports Bar -- a very, very popular 'sports' bar that has fair drink prices (and great happy hours). Say Hi to Tanner or James - both great bartenders.

New Moon is a lesbian bar.. I've never been, but it's pretty popular. It's right across the street from Rosie's which is an icon in Fort Lauderdale (used to be Hamburger Mary's). The food isn't gourmet, but the burgers are good... and it's consistent.. and reasonably priced... almost always full.

I'm also a fan of "The Manor" - which is a large night club that has a restaurant component. Most complain drink prices are too high.. I don't drink these days, but I find the food to be great! Sometimes service is slow, but I think they are working those kinks out. Live music most nights.

The Shoppes at Wilton Manor is home to Java Boys, a great coffee shop to just relax.. free wifi. I happen to like Gigi and Gavin's gourmet chocolates as well for a tasty treat.. they are right next to sidelines.

That sunday morning we may hit courtyard cafe - a favorite breakfast spot amongst locals. Great prices on traditional breakfast food.

as an FYI, everything that is within WIlton Manors (SIdelines, New Moon, Rosie's, The Manor, Gigi and Gavins, Java Boys, Courtyard Cafe) are all within walking distance (.5 - 1 mile).. and scattered in between you'll find art shops/boutiques/etc.

Las Olas, though not "gay", is of course a very gay friendly small tourist district to check out.. they've got a bunch of great restaurants there and some higher end art galleries if I recall.

The beach is great (again, try Casablanca) but you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't venture out :)

Archived