Just Back from Elation 2/20/05

Cowgirl_Cruiser

Wonderful trip

Beautiful Ship

Great weather

I will work on a trip report but I can answer any questions.

FYI ....We did make an 911 stop in Cozumel on the return trip, we stopped about 7:00 am Thursday morning. I'm sure alot of people who were still sleeping never even knew. There was a woman with a heart problem (or so I was told),

we stopped on the other side of the island from our original dock and we did have a nice view of Cancun around 10:00 am. I hope the poor lady is feeling better.

Can't wait to hear about it! I sail out on the 13 of March on Elation. I got a several questions but the one that keeps nagging me is the luggage. I understand the porters are not hired by the cruise line. But where do we check them in or can we take them directly to our rooms ourselves?Yolanda

We want to do the canopy tour too! When I asked before, others have said it is an awesome adventure. You are zipping across the rainforest but it does not seem too high since the tops of the trees are fairly close. Our group of 9 can't wait! :)

Can't wait to hear about it! I sail out on the 13 of March on Elation. I got a several questions but the one that keeps nagging me is the luggage. I understand the porters are not hired by the cruise line. But where do we check them in or can we take them directly to our rooms ourselves?Yolanda

You will be dropped off in front of the terminal,either by your personal vehicle or a shuttle/limo if you park or come from the airport.

There are plenty of very helpful porters,who take your bags.You will already have your luggage tags on...They will get them to the right place.They are also very helpful,telling you where to go..and how the process works.

We have never had a problem with rude or pushy porters in Galveston.It is customary to tip..about a buck a bag..They will get your bags where they need to be,and they will show up at your doorway (sometimes in your room) later in the day.The porters do work for the Port...But all we have experienced,have been great.You can of course,bring your carry on yourself.

My daughter will be cruising Elation with her roomates in May. She's a little anxious about what to do in Progresso and Belize. If you have any insite, I would appreciate it. They're not into the ruins, one of her roommates is over 6'8" and over the canapy weight limit so that's out. They can't do the trek for cave tubing due to ankle reconstruction surgery, Boy I am making them out so sound horrible!! Had hoped for sea fishing on one of the stops but I can't seem to find anything. They are snorkeling in Couzmel, at least we've got that taken care of!

Loved to hear back from you on any tips you wish to share.

Sounds like they might want to do the private beach club excursion offered for $25 pp on the bus from the Progresso terminal into town.

Can't help you on Belize, I stayed on the ship.

(Before you flame me for not enjoying the culture and sights of a distant land...I've been there before.)

stircrzy

Not interested in flamming anyone!! I appreciate any insite anyone wishes to share.

I am so tired of people lashing out on this board, it's disgusting!

Better manners on some of the yahoo groups than on this forum most of the time. It didn't use to be that way but when people can hide behind screens with aliases, and the masses show up, that's what you get.

Anyway. off thread, Sorry. My little own private flare up!!

I do appreciate your input.

The private beach club is different than the carnival beach offering?? I assume it is based upon your description. Can you tell me where I can find that info, or how I get there??

When you exit the ship at the Progresso terminal, a bus will take you the 6 miles or so up the dock to "town". While riding the bus an offer will be made for this excursion. I personally have not done this excursion, but know of others who have and enjoyed it a lot.

It is not the excursion offered onboard ship through Carnival.

I'm going on the same ship, the Elation on March 13th and this is my first cruise. I am a single, middle aged guy. This may sound stupid but is it pretty easy to hook up with some other singles or groups that I can do some excursions with? Do you have any suggestions on how best to do this or is it just about mingling with as many people as possible? Do they have any activities designed for singles to meet others? What is the ratio of women to men? Good I hope. Thanks.

I have always been pleasantly surprised about how quickly you can make friends on these things. Maybe because everyone wants to be happy, I don't know, but we made made friends without even trying! Started right in the check in line at the terminal chatting with the people in front of us. We continued to wave and chat throughout the entire cruise. It was really very nice.

How fun.. going on the june 19th sailing.. Just read your capers,stircrzy ,big help, I was wondering when the formal nights were. Thanks.

do you know where the laundry rooms are located..? I can't wait to read your review.

I'm going on the same ship, the Elation on March 13th and this is my first cruise. I am a single, middle aged guy. This may sound stupid but is it pretty easy to hook up with some other singles or groups that I can do some excursions with? Do you have any suggestions on how best to do this or is it just about mingling with as many people as possible? Do they have any activities designed for singles to meet others? What is the ratio of women to men? Good I hope. Thanks.

I would think that maybe if you request to be seated at dinner with singles and or people around your age that would be a good place to start.. Maybe at a large table.

At the Welcome Aboard show on the first evening, the cruise director mentioned a get-together for singles. I think it was later that same night--it was listed in the Capers, too. I remember it because she stressed that it was for SINGLES, not marrieds. In her words "for the needy, not the greedy..." Anyway, that might be a good place to meet others and make plans for excursions. And as others have pointed out, it's always fun to see and wave to folks you've met in line, or on a tender or bus! Good luck, I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

Hello! We're cruising in October on the Elation, and I wanted to know if you can store your luggage pretty comfortably in your cabin? Do the suitcases fit under the beds? We have pretty big pieces. What about storage in the room? Is there quite a bit? I'm assuming that there are no fridge's in the rooms. Thanks for your time!

Astros1, we had no problem fitting our suitcases under the beds. And we had a couple of big ones and a couple more carry-on-sized ones as well as a shoulder bag! There are no fridges in the rooms (except maybe the suites) but our steward did a great job of keeping our ice bucket filled throughout the day. There are lots of storage "nooks and crannies" in the cabin, including several wall hooks. Take a moment to look the room over before you unpack and you can find a spot for everything fairly easily. I took a clear plastic 8-pocket shoe organizer (bought at the dollar store at home) and attached it to the towel rack on the bathroom door with a couple of zip-ties and it came in really handy for sunblock, glasses cases, lotion, stuff like that. The mirror in the bathroom has shelves behind it as well--like a medicine cabinet--that we used for the rest of our stuff.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

I think the beach club excursion that is offered on the shuttle to town is for the Reef Yucatan Club. Have read about it on the Progresso board and checked out the Reef's website. It's mentioned in a thread called all-inclusives. I'm not sure exactly about times, etc., but believe that you go to ruins, etc., before the beach club but again, not sure. Can you confirm? It's my understanding that the $25 per person includes lunch and all you can drink plus transportation to and from the ship. Do we purchase this tour right on the bus? Any additional information is appreciated!

Archived