Can you get a taxi at Mahogany Bay?

tampabrat22

We are still undecided on what to do while at this port, but I've been reading about the steep hill and I know some of the members of our group will not be able to make it due to health/mobility issues.

If we choose not to do a ship sponsored excursion are there taxis available or would we still need to walk outside the gates? Are the taxis just basic one way trips or can you have them take you on island tours (like in other countries)? Or better yet, could you hire a taxi to take you out the gates to the independent operators?

I don't know the answer to your questions so hope you don't mind me posting a thought. If you decide to do one of the private tour guides like Victor Bodden (loved it) or Rony's mentioned on these boards but some in your group can't make the hike up the hill, I can't imagine there wouldn't be a taxi driver that would take you up the hill for a charge. Just have an idea of what you would be willing to pay and ask before you get in the taxi and settle on a price. We loved Roatan when we were there last November. I truly believe this is a port that people should experience and not just stay in the cruise dock area of Mahogany Bay unless they really just want a beach day without experiencing seeing any of the island they are visiting.

I hope you have as fabulous a day on beautiful Roatan as we did!:):)

Archived