Are We Being Upsold??

gaelan

I have always researched independent tour operators before making any bookings and the CC'er ports of call area has been terrific in assisting with many of the decisions. We are on a cruise this December and have read all the posts in the Aruba area ....for the good and bad. Having a full day in port to work with...we attempted to make a reservation with an often recommended operator on this site for a full day excursion as our ship gets in at 8:00am leaving late at night. We did promptly get an email back from the operator, but indicated that because our ship only arrives at 1:00pm they could not offer the full day tour, however they would be more than happy to accomodate us with a private tour.....but..... at a few more dollars more than what it would have cost us for the full day tour..... and for only 4-hours. I double checked our ship Itinerary and sure enough it shows the ship arriving at 8:00am in the morning.....I sent back an email to the operator...who again promptly emailed back indicating that after confirming with the port...the ship is confirmed to arrive at 1:00pm. This is starting to get a little frustrating so I just called and spoke with the cruise line customer service....the vessel is indeed per the "official" schedule arrriving at 8:00am in the morning and that the operator is wrong. Additionally, I also checked the cruise line web site and it offers multiple excursions in the morning for the Aruba port call.

Now I am wondering if something is up and that we are being given the good old "up sell". Am I overreacting and this is an honest misunderstanding on the part of the operator or is there something fishy in Aruba??

I suspect it is the opposite...they are trying to save you having a problem. Here is the posted port schedule for Aruba: http://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to-aruba/aruba-cruises/#bydate

I looked at roll calls, and you are on the Dec. 3 sailing of the Westerdam? If so, the port schedule does show you docking at 1. So either the cruiseline changed it and didn't let the port know yet, or the port people have not updated their list, or it was a typo to begin with? Who knows, but it doesn't appear to be the fault of the tour operator. Perhaps if you sent them a link to your cruise itinerary? Of course, it could be the people answering the phones at the cruiseline who have it all wrong, too, in which case you certainly don't want to be on a confirmed a.m. trip!

Someone's wrong, but it's not you or the tour operator!

From my experience in Aruba, the people there are honest and genuinely want you to have a pleasant vacation experience. Tourism is their bread and butter and they take it very seriously. The Tourism Authority does their best to make sure that tourists are happy and treated fairly. However, like many islands, the people live at a much more relaxed pace than we do. I'm sure it is just a mistake, and they will check into it eventually. Probably either the itinerary hasn't been updated from the ship or the tour company hasn't updated the correct info. We love Aruba and it's people, and vacation there in the winter.

The "official" Aruba Cruise Tourism website http://www.arubabycruise.com/cruisecalls-2010/december.html

shows the Westerdam's hours in port as 13:00-23:00 (1 pm-11 pm)

Arubalisa, this likely explains why the operator believes the Westerdam is arriving at 1:00pm. I am going to forward this to HAL and ask that they clear up the confusion.

Thanks for the investigative work!!

Arubalisa, this likely explains why the operator believes the Westerdam is arriving at 1:00pm. I am going to forward this to HAL and ask that they clear up the confusion.

Thanks for the investigative work!!

That's what I was trying to tell you in post #2.

The tour operator has been very fair and patient about this whole issue. We are now booked for a full day tour....and with the asuumption that HAL is correct with the Westerdam arriving at 8:00am. The operator has indicated if this turns out to be different they will works with us despite the conflicting information.

Cannot ask for anything more....they have been very good to work with and again thanks to those who indicated that they do indeed work hard to support the tourist business.

The tour operator has been very fair and patient about this whole issue. We are now booked for a full day tour....and with the asuumption that HAL is correct with the Westerdam arriving at 8:00am. The operator has indicated if this turns out to be different they will works with us despite the conflicting information..

Cannot ask for anything more....they have been very good to work with and again thanks to those who indicated that they do indeed work hard to support the tourist business.

what is the tour company you will be using? We are going in december also

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to come back and provide feedback on our ABC Tour we had in Aruba. After some intial confusion about our ships arrival time we did book a full day Jeep excursion of Aruba including lunch. Our group of four DW, DBIL and DSIL were met promptly after we exited the cruise terminal and taken to the ABC offices. We were required to sign waivers and then joined three other jeeps of thrill seekers. The jeeps are land rovers and in excellent condition, with driver, front passenger and two long bench seats for eight in the back. Seats and roll bars were well padded and a cover to protect us from rain and sun (both present on our trip) as we toured the Island. Somewhat surprising was that two of the jeeps were driven by guests....no previous experience and the third driven by Wendell our leader. Our first stop was the lighthouse, Wendell gave us some facts and figures about the island, but at other spots we for the most part did our own thing. On our jeep we were lucky to have a couple who had been coming to Aruba for some 20 years who gave us a great background of the island. Next stop was the seamans church overlooking the sea on the west side of the island. Here we were given some background from Wendell....lots of feral dogs about. What was interesting was the many cactus but green vegetation made so by the weeks of rain that Aruba had. Next stop was to the Natural Bridge....the main bridge had broken several years past but a small one was forming. The scenery was wonderful. Stops at the old gold mine and Ostrich farm (wow do they really stink) preceeded lunch...chicken, ribs, beans, rice and fries...not gourmet but good. Our next stop was the Natural Pool in the National Park. This was the most hair rasing and wild trip in a motorized vehicule I have ever been on and certainly not for the faint of heart or those suffering from a bad back. The already rugged trail to get there up and down and large hill was made even more dangerous by the recent rains which with the run off created gullies in the trail. With our non-proffesional drivers we wondered if this was really smart..however they both were amazing and we followed right behind Wendell without issue. Once arriving at the Natural Pool you will need to hike down a rather steep path to get to the ocean. Apparently because of the weather we were the first group to be allowed to swin in the pool for almost 2-weeks. After a return gut wrenching ride back out it was off to Baby Beach for a swin. We saw lots of wild goats, donkies and dogs and the 10 large windmills along the way. Again the scenery was spectacular. Finally after a long day which started at 8:00am and finished a 6:00pm we were dropped off at the ship terminal and after thanking our amazing drivers waived good bye to our jeep mates thoroughly happy and enjoying a great day.

Just a couple of comments, if you get car sick easy, have a bad back or frighten easily, I would shy away from this tour.....otherwise it was a blast.

I wanted to come back and provide feedback on our ABC Tour we had in Aruba. After some intial confusion about our ships arrival time we did book a full day Jeep excursion of Aruba including lunch. Our group of four DW, DBIL and DSIL were met promptly after we exited the cruise terminal and taken to the ABC offices. We were required to sign waivers and then joined three other jeeps of thrill seekers. The jeeps are land rovers and in excellent condition, with driver, front passenger and two long bench seats for eight in the back. Seats and roll bars were well padded and a cover to protect us from rain and sun (both present on our trip) as we toured the Island. Somewhat surprising was that two of the jeeps were driven by guests....no previous experience and the third driven by Wendell our leader. Our first stop was the lighthouse, Wendell gave us some facts and figures about the island, but at other spots we for the most part did our own thing. On our jeep we were lucky to have a couple who had been coming to Aruba for some 20 years who gave us a great background of the island. Next stop was the seamans church overlooking the sea on the west side of the island. Here we were given some background from Wendell....lots of feral dogs about. What was interesting was the many cactus but green vegetation made so by the weeks of rain that Aruba had. Next stop was to the Natural Bridge....the main bridge had broken several years past but a small one was forming. The scenery was wonderful. Stops at the old gold mine and Ostrich farm (wow do they really stink) preceeded lunch...chicken, ribs, beans, rice and fries...not gourmet but good. Our next stop was the Natural Pool in the National Park. This was the most hair rasing and wild trip in a motorized vehicule I have ever been on and certainly not for the faint of heart or those suffering from a bad back. The already rugged trail to get there up and down and large hill was made even more dangerous by the recent rains which with the run off created gullies in the trail. With our non-proffesional drivers we wondered if this was really smart..however they both were amazing and we followed right behind Wendell without issue. Once arriving at the Natural Pool you will need to hike down a rather steep path to get to the ocean. Apparently because of the weather we were the first group to be allowed to swin in the pool for almost 2-weeks. After a return gut wrenching ride back out it was off to Baby Beach for a swin. We saw lots of wild goats, donkies and dogs and the 10 large windmills along the way. Again the scenery was spectacular. Finally after a long day which started at 8:00am and finished a 6:00pm we were dropped off at the ship terminal and after thanking our amazing drivers waived good bye to our jeep mates thoroughly happy and enjoying a great day.

Just a couple of comments, if you get car sick easy, have a bad back or frighten easily, I would shy away from this tour.....otherwise it was a blast.

Thanks for your review! We may do this tour also! Jean in MO

Archived