Country Girl Doesn't Know What Some Of The Menu Is??

lilmsonry

Hi everybody, I am just a regular country girl that doesn't usually get dressed up for much or do fancy things. So, how do you go about finding out what the menu items actually are in the dining room if you don't know? Some of the stuff I couldn't tell you one thing that is in them. Don't want to sound like I just crawled out of a hole yesterday, but would like to know what it is. Would it be toooo uncouth (sp) to just ask? What does everybody else do, or does everybody else know what everything is? Appreciate info:confused: Thanks!!

Just ask. Even those who go out all the time don't know everything about every item on every menu. I suspect you will have a good idea by the menu description of what you are getting, but when there is a sauce with a fancy name, just ask in case it's something you dislike. Or if you already have menus, just ask here.

Our waiter was great at explaining every dish! I work in food service so I know what just about everything is, but that was not the case with the entire table. On the first night he went through and explained how the menu was laid out. I hope you have the same experience because it made looking over the menu easier. They have 6 starters. Three of them say what they are on the menu, 2 hot soups and the last one was always a cold soup. Then the salads(2) one tossed and one that comes prepared with its own dressing. Next are the entrees(6) 1 st was always a pasta dish, the next 4 varied and then a vegetarian dish. They have at least one fish/seafood entree every night. As the others stated you can ask. HTH

I tried a few dishes that I would not have tried if I had seen them on a menu. I think it helped me to venture out knowing that if I did not like it I could always have something else brought. Of course this was not the case I did like what I order.

Have a great time!

TC

Laylow

The menu has a description of the dish printed underneath each dish. It tells you basically what the dish is. If you aren't sure, ask the waiter. They are used to it. Also, always remember, if you don't like it, all you have to do is ask them to bring you something else.

On one cruise, my husband order something he didn't care for. The waiter saw he wasn't eating it and immediately came over and asked him if he wanted something else.

You can pretty much bet on a pasta dish, beef dish, fish dish, poultry dish, seafood dish and vegetarian dish at each dinner.

lilmsonry-

We were on the Conquest 3 weeks ago. They had the menu posted on the tv each day. You could go and look at each individual item and it would give a discription of each. This helped us with a picky 14 year old. He chose before he even got to the dining room. Many times he also asked for the sauces to be left off his steak.

The best part of a cruise is you can try foods that you might not order at home. Some you will like, some you might not, but hey you tried them. I have tried a number of the cold soups and frankly not my cup of tea, but it was fun to try them. Be brave and remember if you order something you don't care for send it back and get something else. It is your special vacation indulge. Lydia of Ohio

P.s. and don't be afraid to order more than one dessert and just try a couple of bites of both.

Lil - This is one of the many nice things about a cruise. Think of your dining experience as yet another adventure! You get to try foods that you have never even heard of before!:D The waiters are very knowledgeable about items on the menus, so don't hesitate to ask.

I can appreciate your not wanting to 'waste' food, as I was Food & Beverage director for hotels in N.O., and I hate to see waste. So - thank you. So many folks just don't care, because it's "already paid for"...:rolleyes:

However, if you really don't like something you ordered, DO feel free to send it back and order something else.

Also - if there's absolutely nothing on the menu that interests you, you can order a sirloin strip steak, baked or broiled chicken, and baked potato and other veggies - any night.:)

I bet you'll go home after the cruise raving about the fantastic food!!!

Hi everybody, I am just a regular country girl that doesn't usually get dressed up for much or do fancy things. So, how do you go about finding out what the menu items actually are in the dining room if you don't know? Some of the stuff I couldn't tell you one thing that is in them. Don't want to sound like I just crawled out of a hole yesterday, but would like to know what it is. Would it be toooo uncouth (sp) to just ask? What does everybody else do, or does everybody else know what everything is? Appreciate info:confused: Thanks!!
You don't always have to know exactly what's in an item to decide, but my advice is, if they offer Rocky Mountain Oysters, PASS.

Thanks to all!! Enjoyed this post! Lots of good info here! Jim, no problem with passing on the RMO!!!! :) LOL.....okay, got another question for you past cruisers: Am I correct, you need to inform tablemates if you are NOT going to be at dinner, as not to keep them waiting.....when do you do this? If I wait until the daily menu is out, and I choose then to skip the dining room, how do I let them know? Thanks, I am cruising on a daily basis, here on land that is!!:cool:

Anything you see on the menu you can also order as room service at no cost ( a 3-5 dollar tip will make your stewart happy). That way, you can experiment in private and laugh at the mistakes.

My wife and I eat at least one "dining Room" meal in our cabin. We started doing it for heath resons but it's kinda nice every once in awhile just to be alone at dinner together.

Anything you see on the menu you can also order as room service at no cost ( a 3-5 dollar tip will make your stewart happy). That way, you can experiment in private and laugh at the mistakes.

Huh?

Perhaps on your other cruises, but not on Carnival. You can get only what is on the room service menu. And even at that, your cabin stewarD does not deliver room service food to the cabin - it's delivered by room service personnel (whom you should tip $1 or $2.)

I can't remember exactly were I found it but someone posted the 8 day Legend menu from web shots and you can print them and look them over so you get an idea. I liked these cause they had the desciption written under the entee. I'm not a big meat eater and real picky so I like to see what the veggie dishes are and I try them most nights.

Do a search here under menus or on webshots and you will find them. I also found out something you might not know either. All CCL ships use the same menu.

Hope this helps some!

Thanks to all!! Enjoyed this post! Lots of good info here! Jim, no problem with passing on the RMO!!!! :) LOL.....okay, got another question for you past cruisers: Am I correct, you need to inform tablemates if you are NOT going to be at dinner, as not to keep them waiting.....when do you do this? If I wait until the daily menu is out, and I choose then to skip the dining room, how do I let them know? Thanks, I am cruising on a daily basis, here on land that is!!:cool:

Yes, yes and yes . . . just let the matre de (okay, so I can't spell) know so your tablemates (and wait staff) know they don't have to wait for a late arrival. Believe me . . . they will all thank you for your consideration.

No, you cannot. Not on Carnival at least.

Redundant and repetitive (see Cotton's post 3 posts before yours).

No real need to try to make AltMagic feel dumb. He was only trying to be helpful and answer this ladies question.

Maybe on his cruise the steward did deliver the meal the one time they ordered room service. Never know.

I enjoy and appreciate your many posts by the way. You are quite knowledgeable about cruising. Maybe a little too blunt and terse.;)

Archived