sight seeing in Belize

erRN2be

We will be in Belize in April 2005 off of the Miracle. We orignally had planned to do the cave tubing, but after much thought and reviews here I am concerened with my grandmother's neck (an injury from falling) and therefore I have changed our mind. My husband and kids want to stay on the boat while we are in belize, but I would really like to go with my grandmother shopping and seeing the local areas and sightseeing a bit.

I was wondering for those of you whom have been there, are there taxis available that are safe and dependable, and is there really any place that they can take you to sight seeing and shopping. In another post I saw something about a flea market, my grandmother would love that. I would just like to see some of Belize and have an enjoyable day, maybe eat some local meal and shop a little.

Can anyone recommend anything, or let me know if there are taxis available and where exactly that we could go.

Would appreciate any advice that you could give

Chelle

We will be in Belize in April 2005 off of the Miracle. We orignally had planned to do the cave tubing, but after much thought and reviews here I am concerened with my grandmother's neck (an injury from falling) and therefore I have changed our mind. My husband and kids want to stay on the boat while we are in belize, but I would really like to go with my grandmother shopping and seeing the local areas and sightseeing a bit.

I was wondering for those of you whom have been there, are there taxis available that are safe and dependable, and is there really any place that they can take you to sight seeing and shopping. In another post I saw something about a flea market, my grandmother would love that. I would just like to see some of Belize and have an enjoyable day, maybe eat some local meal and shop a little.

Can anyone recommend anything, or let me know if there are taxis available and where exactly that we could go.

Would appreciate any advice that you could give

Chelle

Hi Chelle!

First of all, I will discourage you from taking your grandmother on the cave tubing excursion. I have not gone, but if she has an injured neck I just think the nature of the activity might be inappropriate.

That being said, we really enjoyed Belize on our Princess cruise in December. The ships anchor pretty far out and then the passengers are tendered to shore (it can be a little rough). The main activities are either water-oriented (snorkel or scuba) or history/nature related (most take you out into the countryside where the real attractions are). We took the Lamanai and New River excursion and it was terrific - but it is all day and might not be right.

Belize City is not very attractive, but I think there are a few tours that stay right in the port area. Check with your TA for suggestions.

Archived