~QUESTION regarding CCL group prices!~

Sailingstagediva

We have a large group going out on the Miracle in July. We are primarily on deck 6, a few on 5, mostly inside cabins. My dad is retired and looking up prices constantly! He has come up with significantly lower prices through a few websites. He has called CCL to see if those prices are legit and if they include taxes and PC's. They seem to be on the "up and up."

Upon calling my TA, she informs me that they are early saver prices and have a few conditions that will take away our group points, along with a few other negatives. She also said that these rooms were not as desirable and it's about location.

Just looking for some words of wisdom as well as advice on the situation. Thanks in advance!! :confused:

Groups usually have some OBC which is as good as a lower fare... at least to the extent they cover your tips, etc.

Cabin location can be important to some folks... we ususally book a guarantee so we can get on a higher deck than we pay for. Exact location is unimportant.

We have a large group going out on the Miracle in July. We are primarily on deck 6, a few on 5, mostly inside cabins. My dad is retired and looking up prices constantly! He has come up with significantly lower prices through a few websites. He has called CCL to see if those prices are legit and if they include taxes and PC's. They seem to be on the "up and up."

Upon calling my TA, she informs me that they are early saver prices and have a few conditions that will take away our group points, along with a few other negatives. She also said that these rooms were not as desirable and it's about location.

Just looking for some words of wisdom as well as advice on the situation. Thanks in advance!! :confused:

You can book "any" room with an early saver rate as you did for a group rate.

We just booked cabins for a group for next year and booked each cabin as early saver (all cabins together) because we paid much less and the OBC and grp points offered weren't as good of a deal as the early saver.

We also booked the exact deck, location (rooms) we wanted. We chose the rooms before calling.

I have a group through Carnival for Nov 2011. Our rates are about $15 per person higher than the EarlySaver rates (which DO carry restrictions). It probably depends on the popularity of the ship, itinerary and time of year, what type of group rates you will get. I don't think the group cabins are restricted to certain cabins. I have been a part of large groups before and once you are fully deposited, you can choose your cabin. On the one coming up we were able to get a highly coveted cabin.

Groups no longer get the good deals that they used to...Carnival has made it very difficult for outside sources (TA's) to put a great deal together...they are trying to get the group business for themselves. However, groups still get amenity points to use how they see fit...we have $100 OBC for each cabin for our cruise.

Once the Early Saver rates are gone, the prices for your group should look much better. If they don't, I would again approach your TA to explain why. Hope this helps and that you all enjoy a great cruise!

I have a group through Carnival for Nov 2011. Our rates are about $15 per person higher than the EarlySaver rates (which DO carry restrictions). It probably depends on the popularity of the ship, itinerary and time of year, what type of group rates you will get. I don't think the group cabins are restricted to certain cabins. I have been a part of large groups before and once you are fully deposited, you can choose your cabin. On the one coming up we were able to get a highly coveted cabin.

Groups no longer get the good deals that they used to...Carnival has made it very difficult for outside sources (TA's) to put a great deal together...they are trying to get the group business for themselves. However, groups still get amenity points to use how they see fit...we have $100 OBC for each cabin for our cruise.

Once the Early Saver rates are gone, the prices for your group should look much better. If they don't, I would again approach your TA to explain why. Hope this helps and that you all enjoy a great cruise!

I agree Linda. Our group chose the early saver again because on our cruise we just took last month on the Dream we had 4 or 5 price drops. Our prices went from $779 balcony at booking down to $599 before we left. We wanted to gamble again. We'll see...it's worked the last couple of cruises for us.

Sometimes the bulk travel agents will contract for a few cabins that are undesirable to many, but it allows the agents to advertise these as "come-on" rates. They are legit IF you can book them... they often sell quickly. Once I discovered that the rate was for only two rooms, and on the crew level. But they were legit... and perhaps a great deal.

The other issue is that there often is not enough of them for a group to book. There might be a handful of those cabins... but not enough for any group, which requires a minimum of 8 cabins in the same category. But the rooms exist, and for some they are deals. Carnival won't say anything that might embarrass these larger bookers of rooms.

Early Saver, Fun Saver, Super Saver are all rates that allow Carnival to manuever the prices, terms and conditions to make it difficult for us to ever do a good side-by-side comparison... particularly for groups. You may find that when it comes down to actually booking the room, to stay in the group and keep your amenity points, those rates will change if you are booking outside of your original allotment. It can be frustrating and I'm not sure Carnival wants us to figure it out... :o If they wanted us to understand, they would not have so many different categories and fare types. Keep your eye on the ball... the shell is constantly moving.

With a group, sometimes a few of your members will be uncomfortable living with all the restrictions, changes and uncertainties. Others, it doesn't bother them and they enjoy the game.

Archived