Special dietary requirements

Silvermist

It's very important that I eat low-to-no fat foods (medical reason, not a weight control reason in case that makes any difference). With the Freestyle Dining how do you ensure that your food in the MDRs accommodates special needs like that? Obviously I know to order grilled instead of fried and no buttery rich sauces and all that kind of stuff, but is there a way to ensure food is cooked low fat like with Pam instead of butter or oil? Will I have to tell every waiter every time and will the kitchens even be able to accommodate me? I'd hate to have to eat basically raw fruits and veggies for the whole 2 weeks I'm cruising.

I've done a search and found lots of posts about celiacs and food allergies and the need to contact NCL for special foods to be brought on board for them and separate kitchens, but I don't need special foods or kitchens. I just have to be very careful with preparation of my food.

I have a food allergy where I cannot eat a lot of the sauces the way they are prepared. What they did for me was have me order my dinner at lunch, so my meal could be prepared separately. When we sat for dinner, I gave our server our stateroom number and my meal was delivered with whatever my husband ordered when we were seated.

I did inform our travel agent at booking of my allergy, and I called NCL myself as well before our cruise.

First, I would definitely contact the access desk well in advance of your depature date. They respond in the order of receipt. I have found them to be very responsive. You can get alot done with them via email. Second, I would encourage you to try the buffet. There are so many clean fresh options that you can reallllly figure out what you are eating and in many cases how it is cooked. You can actually lose weight on a cruise...I KNOW this is NOT your concern, but it points out how fresh one can eat. I also have brought some of my own stuff on many trips just to make sure I can have something to sustain me like clean proteins.

You do need to contact the special needs department. They will work with you to identify what foods you can and cannot eat. Generally they'll arrange for one of the chefs to meet with you each day, go through the menu and determine what will fit your dietary nees. They'll also be able to work with you about foods on the buffet. While you don't need "special foods", necessarily, you ARE asking for "special preparation", and that would work the same way.

Have a great cruise!

Do contact the Access Desk/Special Needs Department. They will contact the ship prior to your arrival about your special needs.

When you first board the ship, plan to eat in the MDR. They are usually open from Noon-2PM on the first day. Ask to speak to the Maitre 'd. Show them the information that you sent to the Special Needs Department and their response. He or she will get the process moving for you immediately. The Maitre 'd will ask you what you would like for your first dinner and provide the menu for the restaurant of your choice.

You may be asked to pre-order your menu choices at dinner for the next day. This will save time while sitting in the restaurants waiting to be served. Your special order will be kept under your cabin number. Dont worry, you can eat in any of the specialty restaurants and even the buffet, IF you give the Maitre D pre-notice of where you will be eating.

If you show up at a restaurant without pre-notice expect a longer wait for the crew to prepare your choices.

Have a great cruise!

-Kim

If it's for a medical reason, the Access Desk will send you a form to get more info. Even if you don't order special food, they will advise you to meet with the Restaurant Manager upon boarding (just go to the reception desk and they will call for you).

I'll share some info from our cruise on the Jewel a couple of weeks ago. My g/f needed a gluten free diet and I'm vegan. Her request was handled in advance and all her meals were specially prepared. We ate at 5 specialty restaurants during our 7 day cruise and it worked out well. Since my dietary need is not an allergy, a notation was made on my reservation but it was up to me to speak with the Maitre'd at the restaurants to request special preparation methods. You'll find that they are very accommodating. At various specialty restaurants I was offered items not on the menu or combinations of different items. At Chin Chin restaurant, the waiter went to the MDR kitchen to find me a dairy-free dessert. At Mama's, I ordered a veggie pizza without cheese and it was no problem (and pretty good too). At the breakfast buffet I asked for soymilk and they quickly served up a glass. I asked for dishes prepared with oil and not butter, and again, no problem. NCL has a good reputation for handling special diets and their reputation is well deserved. Even at the buffet, don't hesitate to ask for the chef. Not all working in the buffet are familiar with preparation methods, so ask for the chef or the officer in charge and they will get you the info you need. For dietary needs at the buffet, they will prepare a plate for you if needed, so no need to avoid it. I assure you won't go hungry on your cruise.

I assure you won't go hungry on your cruise.

No Kidding! They offered me so much Gluten Free food that I was "fooded-out" by mid-way through the cruise. They do an excellent job with all special food requests.

Have a great cruise!

-Kim

I am on the Candida Diet: No sugar, no dairy, no gluten etc. I basically only eat fresh foods and I know there will not be a problem finding the foods I eat. My question is, however, is there a way to find out if there are certain foods on board that I would eat normally eat? For instance, I make my own salad dressing with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Will they have apple cider vinegar on board (can't have any other vinegar) or should I bring my own? Same for Goat cheese/feta to put on omelletes as I can't have cow cheese.

Thanks in advance,

cdemo

I am on the Candida Diet: No sugar, no dairy, no gluten etc. I basically only eat fresh foods and I know there will not be a problem finding the foods I eat. My question is, however, is there a way to find out if there are certain foods on board that I would eat normally eat? For instance, I make my own salad dressing with olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Will they have apple cider vinegar on board (can't have any other vinegar) or should I bring my own? Same for Goat cheese/feta to put on omelletes as I can't have cow cheese.

Thanks in advance,

cdemo

I can actually answer the vinegar question with 100% certainty because I also require apple cider vinegar. I contacted the Access Desk and asked that same question and this is the answer I received:

Be advised that we do not carry organic 100% apple juice or apple cider vinegar; you may bring these with you on board. There should be no problem with the other food items on your list. Once on board please

contact the Restaurant Manager to further discuss your dietary needs.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Regards

<name removed> Access Coordinator

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this info! I am a vegetarian but I do not eat dairy or eggs (I will eat honey so I do not say eat vegan:)). I will be sure to use your advice and go to the main dining room at lunch time on the first day.

If it's for a medical reason, the Access Desk will send you a form to get more info. Even if you don't order special food, they will advise you to meet with the Restaurant Manager upon boarding (just go to the reception desk and they will call for you).

I'll share some info from our cruise on the Jewel a couple of weeks ago. My g/f needed a gluten free diet and I'm vegan. Her request was handled in advance and all her meals were specially prepared. We ate at 5 specialty restaurants during our 7 day cruise and it worked out well. Since my dietary need is not an allergy, a notation was made on my reservation but it was up to me to speak with the Maitre'd at the restaurants to request special preparation methods. You'll find that they are very accommodating. At various specialty restaurants I was offered items not on the menu or combinations of different items. At Chin Chin restaurant, the waiter went to the MDR kitchen to find me a dairy-free dessert. At Mama's, I ordered a veggie pizza without cheese and it was no problem (and pretty good too). At the breakfast buffet I asked for soymilk and they quickly served up a glass. I asked for dishes prepared with oil and not butter, and again, no problem. NCL has a good reputation for handling special diets and their reputation is well deserved. Even at the buffet, don't hesitate to ask for the chef. Not all working in the buffet are familiar with preparation methods, so ask for the chef or the officer in charge and they will get you the info you need. For dietary needs at the buffet, they will prepare a plate for you if needed, so no need to avoid it. I assure you won't go hungry on your cruise.

I am on a worse cardiac diet than OP: extremely low fat, but also no animal protein. That is to say, vegan but additionally no added oils, etc. For what it is worth, it is the Caldwell Esselstyn (from the Cleveland Clinic) diet, the same diet as Bill Clinton!

Over many cruises, with NCL and others, I have had no difficulties. I have always made arrangements as soon as I board (no prior arrangements with special desks), by talking with the maitre d', and as others have said, each evening we go over the menu and either choose a meal for the next evening which is within my diet, or the kitchen will make a special dinner, usually whatever I request (a vegetable curry, for example, or a pasta with a vegetable sauce - no oil). Or modify an existing menu item. Frequently, the chef is consulted to make sure a dinner satisfies my requirements, or can be modified.

The one exception to not contacting a special services desk in advance of the cruise was when I decided to start taking NONFAT soy milk with me. Since my own experience was that all cruises have soy milk, but none seemed to have nonfat soy milk, I did email to ascertain if I had to bring it myself, and I got the same answer as Silvermist. Fortunately, soy milk does not have to be refrigerated, so bringing it myself has never been a problem. (Nor have I ever been sent to the naughty room, with all that liquid in my suitcase. Not that I would have minded -- you meet the best people on line there.:))

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Are you allowed to bring perishables on board? Is the fridge in the cabin (family balcony cabin) cold enough to store things like soy yogurt or is that something that the special needs dept. will order for you? On RCI you aren't allowed to bring any perishables and the fridges were more like a cooler than a true fridge.

Thanks,

N.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you allowed to bring perishables on board? Is the fridge in the cabin (family balcony cabin) cold enough to store things like soy yogurt or is that something that the special needs dept. will order for you? On RCI you aren't allowed to bring any perishables and the fridges were more like a cooler than a true fridge.

Thanks,

N.

The email I got from Accessdesk says no perishables are permitted.

We are traveling in March with good friends. Best friend's husband has shell fish/shrimp allergies. I know he is capable of taking care of himself, he's a medical professional. However, do they need to contact anyone about that, or should the normal precautions be enough? Just wondering?

Debbie

Thanks,

N.

If you have a documented need for it, special needs will order it for you.

If it's just a preference, no, you'll have to make do with standard yogurt just as everyone else does.

We are traveling in March with good friends. Best friend's husband has shell fish/shrimp allergies. I know he is capable of taking care of himself, he's a medical professional. However, do they need to contact anyone about that, or should the normal precautions be enough? Just wondering?

Debbie

If he has a severe allergy and cross contamination is an issue, then yes, I would contact special services. If it is a moderate allergy, then it may not be as essential. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than going into anaphylatic shock when you are in the middle of the sea and far from shore. The special kitchen is there, why not take advantage of it, besides, it is interesting to find out what is on the menu for dinner the next night.

Archived