Navigators Balcony or Regular Balcony or Oceanview

single76

Is it worth the upgrade to regular from a navigators balcony? This will be a first cruise for 3 of us (2 adults and a 4 1/2 yr old). I think I would use the balcony, but will I really have time to enjoy it? Also, I'm debating an Eastern or Western 7 day. Which would you think would have the most for us to do?

I love balconies but I never used them enough to make up for the cost difference. On a 7 day cruise we were probably total an hour out there.

We were never in the room, we were out having fun.

Now with a young child you might be in there a bit more for naps but if it were me I would use the extra money towards souvenirs ro excursions.

I have had young kids with us on both itenaries and we felt the Eastern had more to do with younger kds than the Western plus we loved the extra sea day tp enjoy the ship on the Eastern.

Both islands have a Butterfly farm for little ones that great.

Also St. Thomas has Coral World which the kids loved. Go to www.coralworld.com to see what is there. It si a ways to ride to get there so I would use a Disney excursion in case you return late they will wait for you. Traffic coming back was aweful. Kids slept so it wasnt bad for them.

The semi sub there is fun too.

There is also a tram ride up a small mountain. The ride is fun and at the top there is a tropcial bird show kids love. If you tender you will need to catch a cab to get there, its not far but if you actually dock at St. Thomas you can walk to the far back side of the shopping area by the dock and you can see the tram right there and there is a cross walk to get to it.

Remember if you should go to a beach on either island many are clothing optional.

Good luck with your choice.

Kathy

I think the cabin selection thing is very personal... we prefer a balcony and actually do spend time out there, especially in the morning with breakfast and in the evenings just watching the water go by. It's a big part of things for us. I know people who don't care about the balcony but just want the natural light coming in or a bit of a view, so a window is fine. I even know folks who prefer an inside because they like sleeping in total darkness. If your 4 year old goes to bed early, you will really enjoy the balcony. Navigators verandahs are nice because they have a little bench out there to sit on. It's almost like having a little extra room with a view.

I agree that the eastern itinerary is probably a better choice with a 4 year old. The western's excursions seem more geared to older kids in general. And the extra day at sea is a big plus. My dd loved the butterfly farm in St. Martin also.

No matter what you choose, you'll have fun. :)

We loved the balcony. We could sit and watch the ship pull into Castaway while still in our jammies. I would read on the balcony while my daughter napped. It was our private piece of the ocean. I don't think I could cruise without a balcony. I don't think I would like the "porthole" balcony. First, our daughter would have had to stand on something to see out (NOT a good idea) and second, I love the open expanse of sea.

I don't think I would like the "porthole" balcony. First, our daughter would have had to stand on something to see out (NOT a good idea) and second, I love the open expanse of sea.

Hmm, good point. I never thought about that. My kids are teens now, so I no longer worry about them standing on stuff to see over. :) (But DD was 4 the first time, and DH nearly worried himself to death before the cruise thinking she would fall over the regular balcony.)

We have always cruised with a regular verandah, but some people we met last time had the navigator's verandah and we got to see it. I thought it was nice for its unique features like the bench and the "little ocean view room" feeling, but completely different from the regular ones.

DW and I get a lot of use of the balcony when our kids go to sleep. They go to be early (by 8 pm) so for us it was a great place to relax at night when they were sleeping. I would say balcony for that reason. Of course if you all go to bed at pretty much the same time you may not find it that handy.

One feature of a verandah that we like is the ability to sleep with the door open, letting in the clean fresh ocean air and the sound of the water sweeping by.

Since leaving the door open automatically cuts off the A/C, it's not real practical in hot weather, but at the cooler times of the year, it's great.

Navigator -looks like a hugh port hole cut out in our balcony

Balcony with a white wall so when sitting on a chair you can not see out

Regular balcony - plexi glass that you can see thru

I like to see out so I get the last type and leave the door open for fresh air also

Archived