ST Thomas: Beach dive off Coki Beach...

tomsuelaw

DH and I are going to do a beach dive off Coki beach with Coki Beach Dive Club. Just have 2 questions:

1. We are going with my in-laws and 2 small children. In-laws and kids are staying on the beach while we dive. In your opinion, is it safe enough and nice enough to leave them on this beach? I have heard some bad reports about this area.

2. Anyone have any experience with Coki Beach Dive Club or this particular shore dive? Did you like it/them?

Coki Beach Dive Center is nice, the people are friendly. The diving at Coki is hit or miss. The last two times I have been there it was quite murky but the dive shop was running their boat. If you are traveling with non-divers, and the water is clear Coki is so shallow that it can be an excellent snorkeling spot as well.

Don't know about beach diving. I've done boat diving there two times. The boat is anchored on the other side of the road (opposite the beach)Both times I was the only diver out with the owner Pete. The diving was quite good. Saw decent coral growth and fish.

At the beach they also do Discovery diving. My wife and inlaws had tried it there and it was pretty good for them.

After diving, we also snorkled at the beach and it was ok, not great, but it's good warm clear water diving.

I have done the beach dive twice there, once with my 8 year old who did the bubble makers dive with pete. Great staff and though there was not a lot to see there it will be a good place for new divers. Keep an eye out for the Baraccuda, saw him both times I was there.

We love Coki Beach Dive Club. Simple and easy beach dive or you can opt for a boat dive. They're the only dive shop on St. Thomas that offers a discovery dive from a beach, the boat entry can be intimidating for beginners. Their Facebook Page has some great videos and pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-Amalie/Coki-Beach-Dive-Club/140981765935742

Archived