Silly question about snorkeling!

Sunnymom02

Hi! I am just wondering how "safe" snorkeling is??? I have never done anything like this before but I am willing to try:p . I am just wondering when the tour guide draws out all of these fish like the moray and baraccutas etc. if they are just as scared of you as we are them? Has anyone ever been bit by any fish while snorkeling? I guess I just need some reassuring;) !

Thanks

Sunnymom02

Carnival Conquest 4/2005

I and my wife have snorkelled in Hawaii, a week in Cuba, and numerous day trips throughout the Caribbean.

If you are a decent swimmer, snorkelling is very safe. We have seen barracuda and moray eels. Truth be told, the most aggressive fish in the ocean (or so we are told) is the damsel fish. Do a Google search and you will see how cute this aggressive fish is!! You really don't have to worry about the barracuda or the moray eels, they won't bother you at all if you don't pursue them.

THe only thing you have to be aware of are jelly fish. But if you are on a guided tour, they will be sure to take you to a spot where there are no jelly fish.

I have been stung by jelly fish and it is no worse than a small bee sting.

So go enjoy the beautiful sights you are missing!!

My DH and I went snorkeling several times on our first cruise. We didn't have a clue what to do the first time but the guides were very helpful. We didn't have any problems. The guides will keep you away from anything dangerous as well.

Rebecca

In Cayman...we walked off the ship...turned right...walked a couple of blocks and snorkeled at Eden Roc....it is a bit dicey getting into the water....coral type rock...but not overly difficult if agile just a bit.

We stayed within the "buoys" marked off....one time I was just snorkeling away...and all of a sudden the fish were bigger and such! Took my head out of the water....I was beyond the buoys...so buoy oh buoy!!! Got my "self" back on the marked off side! Thoroughly enjoyed it and had never snorkeled before.

Lou

Hi! I am just wondering how "safe" snorkeling is??? I have never done anything like this before but I am willing to try:p . I am just wondering when the tour guide draws out all of these fish like the moray and baraccutas etc. if they are just as scared of you as we are them? Has anyone ever been bit by any fish while snorkeling? I guess I just need some reassuring;) !

Thanks

Sunnymom02

Carnival Conquest 4/2005

I only started snorkeling last summer. I had purchased a "dry" snorkel at Costco. My DH and I went to Hawaii. I hadn't tried snorkeling before. We did a day sail on a Catamaran. We were supposed to snorkel off the boat. I did not do well. :o When we got back I dragged my DH into the pool with me and practiced until I was comfortable. The next two mornings we went to Hanauma Bay (at 5:30AM!!) I LOVED it! I took my snorkel to the GC on our Conquest cruise in Dec. I felt like a fish!!! Loved it! The only difficult time what when on a boat in Jamaica. They insisted that we just jump into the water. I did not like that but once I got in it was great!

Good luck!

Lesley

Snorkeling is very safe - especially on a tour. There will always be a guide or two or more in the water able to get anyone back to the boat who is uncomfortable. They are also there to help you in/out of the water if you need. In addition, there are either snorkel vests or life jackets that make it impossible for you to sink - which is hard enough to do in salt water.

The places they take you to have fish accustomed to people. They are looking for free food and you aren't food.

In the wild, none of the fish would approach you with the exception of a barracuda, which is really just trying to figure out what in the heck is that?

I think very safe, esp with the given tourist type places in the Caribbean. Practice in a calm pool before a open water trip is a great idea. Just to get used to the whole experience.

It may just be a wife's tale, but have heard not to wear sparkly jewelry. The barracuda and such are attracted (take a look a any fishing lure). Not that they wold bother you, but they would swim around to take a look. Hey its only fair, you came out there to swim around and look at them, huh?

You should not anyway, but do not take anything to feed. The little fish will swarm around and sometimes 'pick' at your bathing suit or fins, thinking they are in the buffet line.

As said above, jelly fish are the only plausible threat. They are foating, slow moving creatures - so as long as you see them, they are very easy to avoid. Notify your guide if you see any, but I never have in many trips. The beaches of Texas? Yes, but not the Caribbean.

Archived