Cigarette prices

Sailed the Oasis-Eastern in September. We visited St. Thomas. Allowance on Cigarettes was 5 cartons each person of age IF they were bought in St. Thomas (for US citizens). If they were purchased elsewhere you were only allowed 1 per person. The first person asked how many cigarettes we had and we reported honestly. We were actually stopped and pulled to secondary inspection point. After waiting in that line the agent said "you are going to owe us a lot of money". I told him they were purchased in St. Thomas and we were released once we showed the receipt. Others traveling with us, including some that purchased theirs in St. Maarten were not stopped. :mad:

so if i purchase on ship..how many can i bring back?:o

ONE carton........the rule is: You are allowed to bring back into the U.S.A. 5 cartons per person as long as at least 4 were purchased in St. Thomas. It doesn't matter where you bought the other one.

If your ship is not going to St. Thomas you are allowed 1 carton per person...and if you are going to St. Thomas it is cheaper, by a $1 or so, to buy all 5 cartons in St. Thomas and NO hassle from Customs.

Archived