Tarquinia

Last July, the "Oceanic" docked also in Civitavecchia, and having visited Rome several times, we decided to rent a car, and make a tour of "Etruria", and went to Tarquinia.

It is very interesting, and surely very recommended. Tarquinia was in its days a very important (perhaps capital) of Etruria.

It is a rather short drive from the port. On a hillside a little outside the towns is the grave field : Tarquinia has many tombs with frescos. They are under the earth. A little hut with a staircase is built above the grave, so the field looks like a meadow with several entrances to underground parking garages. You do donw the stairs and there is the door to the grave chambres. This is made of glass to protect the frescos. You push a button to make light. It is very touching.

It depends on the day which tombs are open. Not all of them are open on the same moment, but there will be at least some important open.

Tarquinia itself is a rather nice italian provincial little town, with a rather good Etruscan/archeological museum in the former episcopal palace.

A full day I would consider rather long for Tarquinia alone. Apart from the tombs and the museum there is little spectacular.

we went further to Viterbo, which was a mistake

before going to Cerveteri, the other main Etruscan grave field, which is with tumuli, built upon th eground, in logical patterns, so it is really a city of the death. There is one underground tomb with important reliefs. You wander along the tombs and the grass. It is very atmospheric.

I would certainly recommend visiting Tarquinia and Cerveteri when in Civitavecchia, rather than going to Rome, where you have been.

CVTV is half way Tarquinia and Cerveteri - if you want there is a motorway, or you could drive your car through the roman/etruscan countryside, which is very calm.

Enjoy your trip !

J

Belgian Cruiser -- we're going to be disembarking in Civitavecchia, and rather than spend our post-cruise time in Rome we're going to stay in a castle in Procena, which is not too far from Viterbo. I've read good things about Viterbo -- can you fill me in on why you felt it was a mistake to visit there?

We're also planning on touring the entire Tuscia region, including Orvieto, Tuscania, Bolsena. Have you been to those places? If so, any comments? Thanks!

LeeAnne

• 1 year later...

This area has much to offer, but since it is usually bypassed (the tour companies dont make enough money) the independent traveler must find out by him/herself.

I've lived here for 14 of my 40 in Italy. Spas, Etruscan and Roman ruins, medieval hill towns, fab. food and inexpensive wine, our own extra virgin olive oil from our own 80 trees, friendly people , very few tourists, two int'l school programs and a growing expat community. I heartily agree with previous posters that renting a car and doing your own exploration (guidebook, map studied ahead of time) will make for a wonderful day's excursion.

Archived