Do you consider Cozumel safe?

augusta78

Here is why I ask. A friend of mine said they wouldn't get off the boat in Cozumel due to all the mexican drug wars and the tourist kidnappings etc. Perhaps I am confused but I thought it was mainly border wars and not going on in Cozumel. Perhaps I wouldnt do any far out excursions or any excursions not through Carnival for safety reasons but I guess it just didn't occur to me that Cozumel wouldnt be safe enough for us to get off the boat and shop. :confused:

Here is why I ask. A friend of mine said they wouldn't get off the boat in Cozumel due to all the mexican drug wars and the tourist kidnappings etc. Perhaps I am confused but I thought it was mainly border wars and not going on in Cozumel. Perhaps I wouldnt do any far out excursions or any excursions not through Carnival for safety reasons but I guess it just didn't occur to me that Cozumel wouldnt be safe enough for us to get off the boat and shop. :confused:

It isn't just a border war but Cozumel has remained fairly unaffected as far as I know.I have gotten off twice in Cozumel. Cozumel isn't on the mainland so it isn't going to be as impacted.

We were in Cozumel just three months ago with our two kids. We found port area to be quite safe. We hopped in a cab and went to Nachi Cocom for the day. Highly recommend it. My brother and his wife rented a jeep and went off on there own. They had a great time stopping at the local bars and such. The ports of call that stop at islands rely almost 100% of their income on tourism. The locals know this. They will badger you trying to sell you trinkets but they will most likely not try to kill you. When the port of call is mainland port such as Belize, it is a whole different story. Just use your better judgement and don't wonder to far from crowd. Enjoy!

I agree with the others. Coz is very safe. We were there last Dec 2009. In 2008, we took the water taxi to the mainland. There we saw arm men in black uniforms with machine guns walking around. I was to to deter drug dealers and keep the tourist safe. I also saw a platoon of men dressed above with machine guns waiting for a water taxi. soo, their strong presence is felt. I do believe those drug wars are happening on the border cities.

This Dec 2010, we're definately getting off the ship and probably I'll book a private excursion at an AI place (all inclusive). Eat, drink and be merry for a few hours.

The only port city in Mexico i would avoid would be Acapulco. I think Cozumel is very safe. It's an island and not that valuable of a location for smugglers.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

The violence is not aimed at the tourists - it is drug cartels warring against each other and against the government. The only tourist area that has been affected thus far is Acapulco, where even the mayor has said not to stay out after dark.

We spent a week in Cancun (on the mainland not far from Cozumel, in case you are geographically challenged like me) this past March with our kids and my son's best friend. We rode the city bus all over the tourist areas, took public transportation to a town south of Cancun, and never once felt even remotely unsafe.

I take that back, I felt slightly unsafe when we were walking along a sidewalk on the lagoon side of the street. They had big warning signs with a picture of a crocodile. We crossed the street.

Just about every time we have been to Mexico we have seen the Mexican army out in public, with big guns. They are there to keep you safe.

I have lived in Cozumel for the past 11 years. It is really nice and safe. I feel much safer here than I ever did the last place I lived, which was South Florida. You have nothing to worry about in Cozumel. I like to call it Mexican Mayberry (probably dating myself!)

I jokingly say that I could walk through Cozumel at midnight naked without a care.

Seriously, Cozumel is an island that understands being tourist friendly means MONEY.

We have been to this port more than any other .... and never worry about safety.

Yep....getting caught in drug traffic cross fire is not even an issue in Cozumel. I would be more worried about your friends having so much fun in Cozumel and feeling so comfortable that they lose track of time and miss the ship!!!! Maybe THAT would be a reason to consider doing the cruise ship recommended shore excursion....to help guarantee they get back on board the ship on time! But not for fear of the island being un-safe!!! Lol :D

I've rented several villas/condos in CZM. Usually stay 7 days at a time and rent a car every time. I have been all over the island seeking out local restaurants and other places.

One of the main reasons I go to CZM is because I feel totally safe driving around and talking with locals about good places to visit/eat etc...

The only time anyone has ever approached me, besides the vendors, was a worker on the side of the road one day... He approached me and said "mr" I thought, Oh boy, here we go, but all he wanted was a light. So I gave him a pack of matches I had gotten from a local restaurant and he was very grateful...

Cozumel is about as safe as it is going to get. I can assure you there are spots in Houston and other big cities where I would never venture due to high crime rates. When there was a jewel heist on the island a while back they caught the perps on the ferry. (Heist was an inside job). We have friends who have lived there for 20 years and they don't even bother to lock the back door. We fly down regularly and have stopped at least 20 times on cruises and feel totally safe. When we fly in we rent a car and go all over the island. We used to go into town to shop, but I have more silver jewelry and tacky artifacts now than some of the stores so we just hit the beach for a day of R & R with good food and drink and excellent service. We have taken exactly 2 ship's excursions - Passion Island and Mayan Ruins at Tulum. Quickly figured out that on an island that is only about 17 miles long and has one road that circles the island you aren't going to get lost and miss the ship unless you get too drunk to tell time. The people are lovely - very warm and hospitable. They take no for an answer gracefully. Just say por favor and gracias like your Mama taught you and you will be fine. I have friends who felt the same way and refused to go with us on any of our trips. Lo and Behold his company held a function on Cozumel and he had to go to keep his job. They had the best time ever and now act as if they always knew it was safe.

Archived