Jewelry Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

sunnysideup

We would like to do some jewelry shopping. I see that there is a Diamonds Int'l in both ports. For those who have been to both, would you recommend one over the other. In gerneral prices are higher in Cayman than cozumel for most things. Does this hold true for jewelry? Are the prices the same at DI Grand Cayman and Cozumel, or is Grand Cayman higher?

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't recommend DI for anything ... having been in the business for a while, I find them to be high, and their grading borderline (i.e. if a diamond is a solid SI-1, H color, they may well grade it VS-2, G color). Their opinions and appraisals mean nothing in the US. Granted, you'll save the sales tax; but check around in the US for what you'd like to buy, so at least you'll have a reference point. Incidentally, the best values, as rated by several sources, can be found at ... Sam's Club! Yes, that Sam's Club. Grading is certified by GIA, which is generally accepted as the industry standard. And don't even get me started on tanzanite. Caveat Emptor!!

Al

Contrary to previous posts, I have bought jewelry at DI for years and have not had any problem. I appreciate those who don't 'negotiate' and pay the first price quoted to them. It has allowed me to get some great deals on jewelry. You just have to do your homework before you go to know what a good deal is, and walk if they don't meet your expectation as to what you want to pay. I feel that the prices for anything in the Caymen's is more than the other islands. However, it is one of my favorite islands.

It's good that you do your research, and don't spend more than you're comfortable doing. Congratulations. Most people just walk in blind, figuring that since it's the Caribbean, and the ship's port and shopping guide said so, they're getting a bargain. I remain skeptical, knowing a bit more than the average bear. I continually read about stones bought in the Caribbean being over-graded, and those worthless appraisals for three times the purchase price. The average consumer believes that, (a) the stone is of a superior grade, and, (b) since the appraisal was for $12,000 and the price was $4000, they bought the piece for 1/3 of its actual value. Neither is close to the truth. This is not to say that everyone takes a beating. Knowledge is power ... and if you know what a 1-carat stone, VS-2, G color, sells for in the US, you'll at least have a starting point. Remember, though, that DI and other major retailers in the Caribbean tend to over-grade ... so a VS-1, E or F color stone would be a closer comparison.

but Cayman is just too expensive. Wait til you cruise to St. Thomas or St. Martin for your jewelery buying. I wouldn't buy anything at DI in any port. I saw a watch there for $800 and bought the same model on line for about $500 w/o tax or shipping.

A friend of mine bought a diamond and emerald ring in Grand Caymen at Diamonds International several years ago and has had nothing but problems with it. The stones keep falling out. Luckily she has caught all the stones and no stones have been lost. She took it back to DI in Grand Caymen on another cruise along with the sales papers. They fixed it by putting the stones back in, but shortly after she got back to the US, the stones fell out again. She took it to a jeweler in the US who told her that the problem was the poor craftmanship of the setting and that unless the setting was completely reworked, the stones would just continue to fall out. At this point, DI is saying that they are not responsible.

Lesson learned, there is little recourse when you make an expensive purchase in the Caribbean. Also, DI's quality is suspect and they do not stand by their workmanship.

I'd stick with fun jewelry that's not too expensive, so if something goes wrong, you haven't invested alot.

We would like to do some jewelry shopping. I see that there is a Diamonds Int'l in both ports. For those who have been to both, would you recommend one over the other. In gerneral prices are higher in Cayman than cozumel for most things. Does this hold true for jewelry? Are the prices the same at DI Grand Cayman and Cozumel, or is Grand Cayman higher?

Thanks for your help!

I prefer Columbian Emeralds to DI. I have purchased quite a few pieces in Grand Cayman over the years and my jeweler at home has been impressed with the quality and the price I paid. However, you have to do your homework before you leave home and then negotiate, negotiate, negotiate and be prepared to walk away if they don't meet your price.

In St. Thomas I buy at House of Rajah. We were sent there by a friend who lives on the island. I usually price exactly what I want at other jewelers and get written quotes and they have always beaten the competition.

Archived