What question did you wish you would have asked before the first cruise?

wrxrob

Comment: The CC boards were invaluable as to learning about cruising.

Lesson learned from first cruise - take alarm clock and night light for bathroom

Other's from the an RCI article on "What's in your suitcase"

-Plan your carry-on luggage, it may be evening before suitcases are delivered to your room. Same applies to your suitcases which generally must be put out the night before disembarking, leave out clothes to wear the next day.

-Consider an over-the-door shoe holder to keep small items from cluttering up the counter tops, especially if traveling with children

-Pack your own first aid essentials - as said before in this thread, particulaly sea-sick medications

-When traveling with children or toddlers take a plastic blowup kiddie pool in which your child in diapers can play on deck.

-Forget the stack of books, plenty in the library

There is no such thing as "reserving" loungers. If you see one that has been unoccupied for more than 15 minutes, simply move the "stuff" on to the floor and take over the chair. No passenger has the right over another to reserve loungers. Some people think that by placing a towel on a lounger it's theirs for the whole day and they can come and go as they please. Well, sorry, not in my book !!

I have never had any problem with chair hogs ~ but if I ever do, I would also carefully move their stuff after a 15 minute time frame. If they come back while I'm sitting in it ~ I would tell them that I'm just keeping the chair "warm" for them.

I wish I had known I was going to get sea sick, and I had taken dramamine while still on shore to get it into my system. I was fine the first night, but spent the next day and a half in misery until I was able to keep the medicine in. I was on Epic, and we had a rather smooth sailing according to the crew, but apparently, I just have a very weird inner ear. ;)

So, my suggestion is to take the dramamine/bonine/patch before you board, just in case.

For sea sickness we use ginger tablets. It's also great for car sickness. You can get them at your local drug store. They are all natural and they really work. Take one tablet a day for the week before the cruise. That way it builds up in your system. Then on the cruise take one tablet before each meal. I ususally take some upon my return until I get my land legs back.

With the patches you end up with the "third eye" behind your ear. Many funny comedian jokes about that "third eye" :D

Also, it helps if you don't watch the horizon out a diningroom window while you are eating.

For instance, what do you know now that you wish you were aware of prior to taking your first cruise.

We are newbies, taking our first cruise in early 2011 to the Caribbean. I'm not so sure what to ask, but I know there are some tips/tricks and secrets that I'll wish I were aware of prior to boarding the ship. :)

I wish I had known:

* that Princess allows you to bring as much wine on board as you want - so long as you consume it in your room;

* that if you wanted appys before dinner you could go to the buffet and fill a plate with cheese, crackers, luncheon meat, veggies & dip, fruit, etc. and take it down to enjoy on your balcony with your own glass of wine. This is especially fun if travelling with others.

* that they start handing out free champagne (on Princess) long before the champagne waterfall starts.

I just create a word document with all the decks and what they have on them and where, FWD, AFT, MIDSHIP, PORT, STARBOARD, and carry it with me at all times, is a great help.

I AM GOING ON THE DAWN NEXT MONTH AND THIS IS WHAT I DID.

Do not need all decks because a few only have cabins..

Deck-6 Forward-Stardust Theater & Dawn Club Cascino

MidShip-Impressions Rest. Gatsby Champagne Bar, Havana Club,

Wine Cellar Le Bistro, Aft Aqua Restaurant, Venetian Restaurant.

Deck-7 Forward Dazzles Lounge & Night Club, Dazzles #2,

Photo Gallery Mid- Sake Bar, Sushi Bar, Orient Restaurant,

Teppanyaki Rest, Aft Java Café, Grand Atrium, Shore Excursion Desk,

Port of Call Shop, The Pearly King’s Pub, Blue Lagoon Rest. Galleria Shops

Deck-8 Mid Ship Salsa Restaurant- Deck-9-Mid Ship-Internet Café

Deck-11 Aft-Treatment Rooms, Juice Bar, Fitness Center,

El-Dorado Beauty Saloon, Men’s & Women’s Sauna & Steam Rooms

Deck-12 Forward- Spinnaker Lounge, Port Life Styles Room,

Chapel, Kuala Lampur, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok,

Shuffles Card Room, Cinema, Auditorium, Library, Activity

Center, Reading & Writing Room, Mid Ship-Oasis Pool,

Topside Bar, Sprinkles Ice Cream Bar,

La Trattoria, Kids Café, Aft Garden Café, T-Rex Pool,

Deck-13 Forward Bimini Bar & Grille, Mid Ship-Steak House,

Star Bar, Golf Driving Net, Sports Deck, Video Zone, Teen Club,

Deck-14 Sports Court

That sounds like some work to put that together, but it would certainly be helpful. I'm always lost on board, and my biggest beef with Princess is that they do NOT EVEN MAKE those nice little pocket sized deck plans. Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean had them and I used them constantly.

It was realy simple to do. Finished in about 30 minutes.

This way I can carry it with me so hopefully I do not

get lost..

That sounds like some work to put that together, but it would certainly be helpful. I'm always lost on board, and my biggest beef with Princess is that they do NOT EVEN MAKE those nice little pocket sized deck plans. Both Carnival and Royal Caribbean had them and I used them constantly.

DH - dear husband

DW - dear wife

DS - dear sister or son etc.

Thank you for posting this. At first, I thought everyone was traveling with their divorced:eek: husband or wife

OK, I see.. thank you for your answers.

Also.. If I could ask.. Does the "20 dollar sandwich" work with cruise lines as well?

:D I can tell you're a Vegas regular too. I asked the same question earlier this month. See this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1307547

When we have been on Princess we have always used the pocket sized cards. They are available near the pursers desk for sure, but sometimes as days past they can run low.

• 4 weeks later...
When we have been on Princess we have always used the pocket sized cards. They are available near the pursers desk for sure, but sometimes as days past they can run low.

On the Ruby Princess I asked at the purser's desk for a pocket map and they said they've never had them. I also asked on the Golden Princess (first day) and they said no, there weren't any.

1. Fly in the day before.

2. Board early.

3. Pack lightly, mix and match outfits, wear clothes multiple times.

4. Book your cruise and air early for best rates (like 6 months).

5. On Carnival....ask for a "refill" on your drink. Instead of a fancy glass, you will get your cocktail in a plastic drink cup for almost half the price. In essence you are not paying for the "souvenir glass" over and over again.

6. Expect that you are going to wait in line for things and don't get worked up about it.

7. Don't be afraid to sit with other people in the diningroom. We have met, partied with, and continue to write to table mates that we met in cruises. You can always ask to be moved to another table.

8. Research your ships and cruise lines - they do vary. For example....Carnival is less formal, party boat. Celebrity...more formal, less nightlife, older crowd.

9. Make your luggage stand out from the hundreds of others. Tie bright rope around the handle, etc.

10. Cruises are not all-inclusive....you will pay for drinks, soda, photos, excursions, tips, internet access - prepare for those additional expenses.

• 2 weeks later...

If you fly in the night before you may see a representative from your cruise line waiting for passengers who have booked a hotel through the cruise line. Ask them where and at what time the first shuttles leave for the ship. We check at the airport information desk if we don't see the cruise rep. Then when we get to the airport in the morning we know exactly where to find the shuttle.

At the port wait until you see your luggage loaded onto a cart before leaving the area to board. Luggage does disappear between dry land and the ship.

We always carry on a change of clothes etc. as sometimes your luggage does not arrive at your room until late in the evening.

If you board early the chances are you will not have access to your state room so head straight to lunch and with luck you will have no trouble finding a place to eat. The buffet restaurant is like a zoo for that first lunch as it is the only place to eat. Breakfast is always busy too, so if you want a quieter breakfast go to the main dining room and have table service.

Unless you want to pay extra for a souvenir glass, request a regular glass for the "special" drinks and save yourself some money.

Some cruiselines discount the price of photos, late on the last night. If you don't want to buy a bunch of photos just tell the photographers not to take your pic. For first timers I would suggest that you at least pose for a pic when boarding and have one taken on formal night.

We drink a lot of sodas so either board with some or pick them up at the first board stop. If you need any basic items ask the cruise director or his staff where they shop, they always know the cheapest and most convenient places.

These are just a few things I would have liked to have known for our first cruise. If you have any questions feel free to ask, if I don't know the answer I guarantee someone else will.

Archived