Carnival more class than Regent??? Say it isn't so, Joe!

We too were on the Oct 3rd cruise and although very disappointed in the cancellation and the loss of an interesting itinerary I cannot fault the way Regent dealt with the situation. We spent 3 nights on the ship and then another 3 nights at the Intercontinental Athens hotel before Regent was able to arrange a flight home. Regent had staff in the hotel the entire time we were there to answer questions and make sure we were well taken care of. All expenses were covered and the company set up tours for us everyday we spent in Athens. The only difficulty we experienced was the flight home. It was initially going to be about 16 hours at the end of the scheduled cruise but ended up being about 31 hours after having to reschedule. In addition, MH Ross, our travel insurance company, refunded our entire insurance premium even though all I asked for was it to be transferred to a future cruise.

Basically we ended up with a week long vacation in Athens for free so I really can't complain although I would have appreciated a slightly larger credit towards our next cruise. I guess it is human nature to always want just a little more.

Shipless, my expenses were much like Marc's, the normal and expected reasonable expenses, including the hotel in Athens, transfers, etc. I had prepaid hotels at my gateway airport coming and going as well, as I am a long drive from a major airport, and those were reimbursed (well, how expensive can Priceline'd hotels be, even if 4*) along with the one I prepaid on my unexpected date of return.

I would not expect for Regent to reimburse me the full cost of the cruise plus my expenses coming and going, and then turn around and send me on another vacation completely at their expense. Apparently, this is where our opinions diverge

Everyone will not be happy. Can't please all in every instance. But in my particular situation, I feel that with the reimbursements, and the accommodation made for my ff award ticket, along with the value of the substitute cruise I am taking (I know you cannot do this), Regent has dealt with me fairly as they always have in the past.

Have to agree with JHP, Marc and ogie58. We too were extremely disappointed at the cancellation, but were overall very happy with how we were treated and compensated by Regent. They not only flew us home even though we had not done air with them, but refunded our purchased tickets to get to Athens, a subject I believe I have discussed previously. We did not ask for refund of our Athens hotel and stay. I too would like to have seen a little higher cruise credit, but all things considered, we are pleased with our compensation and how Regent treated us and handled everything given the circumstances. Have to agree also, no way could they have spent time assisting with alternative arrangements, they had enough to do just to get everyone home and they are not a travel agency. Their immediate responsibility here was to get everyone off the ship and home, or to a hotel until they could fly them home.

Agree too, this has been rehashed over and over and whats done is done. If you have not received adequate response from Regent I cannot imagine why, as they were very responsive to us and many of those we were traveling with. Since you booked directly with Regent porschecarl, I can't imagine why your consultant has not been more helpful. Have you contacted Gar O'Neill, director of Customer Relations?

Archived