Special Occasions

long_shot45

Congratulations!! It will be very special and I hope your dh is excited when you tell him.

I asked my dh about a ROV ceremony on our 25th when we were aboard the Amsterdam in 2000 and he wasn't interested so it was a good thing I didn't surprise him. LOL

Don't give up hope yet, I asked my wife to do it for our 25th and she did not want to, we finally got around to it last year on our 39th and it was great!

• 4 months later...

I am thinking about surprising my DH with the vow renewal. We will be celebrating our 5th Anniversary on the Westerdam in June 2011.

We had a very small wedding back then--about 15 people.

My question is in regards to the guests for the ceremony. We are not traveling with anyone else. Is it going to be weird just DH and me? Do people normally only to the ceremony when they have friends or family joining them?

This is so important to me because it is not just a vow renewal but a celebration of his 4 years of sobriety. We almost did not make it pas tour first year of marriage because of his alcoholism. We have had to work hard to make our marriage work after his final "drunk". To make a long story short--it took some jail time, counseling, and treatment to save his life and our marriage.

So my next question is that if we do this...Can I say my own words to my husband. What I mean is not write our own vows, but more read a love letter to my husband during/before/after the ceremony.

I want to do the vow renewal to celebrate all of it! The good, the bad, the ugly, and our love lasting and growing stronger each moment of it all!

Any thoughts, advice, and answers will be appreciated! I have learned to listen and trust a lot of you since joining CC. Thank you everyone!

We will be on board the Eurodam in June for our 40th anniversary along with our two daughters(both single young adults). I had planned on just letting the dining staff know ahead of time of our anniversary but now am thinking a Renewal of Vows may be the way to go.

My question is in regards to the guests for the ceremony. We are not traveling with anyone else. Is it going to be weird just DH and me? Do people normally only to the ceremony when they have friends or family joining them?

IMHO It will not be weird. When we did our RoV (last year for our 35th) we wanted it to be private time just for us and we got our wish. We were the only RoV couple on our cruise and, therefore, had the planner and the Captain all to ourselves. After the ceremony, which was both meaningful and brought tears to our eyes, we sat with them chatting and sipping champagne (provided) for quite sometime before we went off to our Pinnacle dinner (also included). The album and photos are priceless reminders of looking at your favorite person and saying out loud that you are happy with the decision you made so many years ago or that you still have the desire to be with them forever.

So my next question is that if we do this...Can I say my own words to my husband. What I mean is not write our own vows, but more read a love letter to my husband during/before/after the ceremony.

YES and I think it would not only be special but fantastic!

I want to do the vow renewal to celebrate all of it! The good, the bad, the ugly, and our love lasting and growing stronger each moment of it all!

Any thoughts, advice, and answers will be appreciated! I have learned to listen and trust a lot of you since joining CC. Thank you everyone!

We will be on board the Eurodam in June for our 40th anniversary along with our two daughters(both single young adults). I had planned on just letting the dining staff know ahead of time of our anniversary but now am thinking a Renewal of Vows may be the way to go.

I think the RoV would be the better way to go. While there is slight added cost for "guests", having your daughters there would have to make it even more special for you and (I'm guessing) quite insightful for them to see their parents in a wonderfully romantic setting.

Rudy and madera ... See answers in red above. Also ... while the PG dinner is included, you can make your reservations for ANY night. We just chose to eat there right after our ceremony. It brought many congrats from other diners based on our attire and the bouquet my DW was carrying.:)

Cheers!

We did the RoV for our 20th, just us. It was lovely. For our 25th, DH muttered that we had already done the RoV (sigh) so I talked to the priest onboard and at the mass that day the priest did a vow renewal for us. I didn't want to hold anyone up so I asked that he do it after the mass, but to my surprise everyone in the room stuck around to watch!

I think I'll try for the RoV for our 30th :)

Archived