Feelings re: no boat limits in Coz?

divinggirl

Hi all,

When I dove in Cozumel on my cruise, I was not overwhelmed for several reasons, and frankly turned off for one major one, being that there is seemingly no limit on how many dive boats can be in one "spot". As a result there were crowds of divers in any given area. Maybe this is an infrequent occurance, and I had a bad day, but compared to my dive the next day in Cayman, it was horrible. There were two other groups, at least, where we were, and as some divers are "better" than others, there were people flailing around under water, and just lots of poor etiquette. Cayman has a one boat per site limit, which is what I prefer. I'm interested in learning if my assumption regarding no limits in Coz is correct, and others feelings about that.

Thanks much!!

Nikki

Nikki,

Oddly enough, your post is the source of major headaches for many people here in Cozumel. There is a moritorium on dive boats (specifically the number of passengers) All boats were "grandfathered" in several years ago, however, the marine park has not issued permits for new boats or more seats in several years. I Know this, since I just recieved notification of denial here at our office.

That doesn't mean the boats that are allowed in don't often "bunch up." I know when I'm out there and I see alot of boats at one site, I'll move to another. There are, however, a few factors in which I will go to a crowded site. If I've been there recently and seen something cool (for example, and eagle ray hanging around Tormentos Reef) If someone has begged me and it's their last day, and they HAVE to go there. I try to be flexible and helpful.

If I do go to one of the busy locations, I try to stagger my entry so that I don't drop on top of another group too! I just hate when that happens to me. On time a fat man dropped out of no where and bonked me on the head with his tank, driving me into the reef, but that's another story!

Phew, I hope that answers your question!

Another thing to consider is that when you dive most places, Grand Cayman for example, the boat ties to a mooring ball. The dive site is specific to that mooring ball and the divers don't wander too far from it. In many cases, it isn't possible for 2 boats to use the same mooring, nor is it desired.

Cozumel is a special case because of the almost always present current, the boats do live boat dives. Also because of the current, the dive sites tend to be spread out over a much greater area. That makes it possible for more than one boat to be at a site. It is important that the divers get in the water at staggered interval, not all at once. Also, some sites are just more popular than others. Give Coz another chance. For warm water diving, it is hard to top.

You know, this fact, as well as that they don't limit how many cruise ships can be in port at one time, are both big reasons why we aren't planning a dive trip to Coz in the near future. Heck, it's the reason we won't likely do another W. Carib. cruise either. The idea of 8 big ships in port at once just makes me shudder.

I know one day I'll bite the bullet and go to Coz to dive, but for now there are so many other Caribbean destinations that it isn't a hardship to avoid Coz.

Maui and Belize this year (Nekton cruise), and Grand Cayman and Maui next year. <G> Rough life, huh? ;-)

Archived