we lost our 4 year old

bill turcotte

When we cruise with our twin sons (now 5) we always make it a game to have them memorize our cabin number. We sing it as a song, play "quiz games" with them about it, DH and I stop in front of another door so that they can "correct" mom and dad and tell us we are wrong (they love that!) and make them tell us where our room is every time we go back to our cabin. It usually works so that by the second day they know the number by heart and can repeat it back. Hokey I know, but it has turned into a bit of a fun tradition. Now, in the middle of the night, I am not sure if they would be disoriented and shy to repeat it to someone else if they wandered out but it can't hurt to try this.

When we had connecting cabins, we put our big suitcase in front of the door just in case. Ours had a bolt but I was paranoid.

WOW!!!! Thank you for posting this. I am traveling with my 3 year old granddaughter in April and have had a horrible fear of losing her. She is a runner and likes to hide. I actually bought one of those backpacks that looks like a bear with a tail I can hold for shopping. My husband and my kids were horrified by it, but she ran off one time and the feeling in my stomach was worse than any look or comment I might get from people I don't know.

I always pack a sharpie and LOVE the idea of putting our cabin number on it just in case. Glad your little one was taken care of and returned safely.

• 2 months later...

I cruise with my 4 y/o and as soon as we're booked, we start memorizing our cabin number so she knows it.

I also decorate the outside of our door with something from home so she can easily recognize it.

When we're returning to the room, I ask her... which one is ours?

These things are in case of emergency and no, she doesn't run around on her own :-)

You've just confirmed to me why we're going to cram our family of 5, 2 parents, 12, 6, and 1 yo into one cabin. My husband stressed concern over this very thing when I booked so I booked 1 cabin, much to my dismay. Thank God this ended well.

Mack2, which ship has the swing bar lock at the top of the cabin door? I have been on two ships, and neither had a lock like that. I was under the impression that while hotels have those locks, ships don't because they don't want people deadbolted into their rooms should there be an emergency onboard. Can you or someone else clarify whether this is indeed the case? It would help families with young children to know whether the cabin door can be secured so a little kid can't get out at night, or, whether they should consider a door alarm as OP mentioned.

I'm so glad everything turned out O.K.! In our former house my son was 3 years old. I was sound asleep in the middle of the night when the house alarm went off. I jumped up and saw that the front door was open... and my little boy was gone. I thought someone took him! I ran outside and screamed for him -- then I heard this little voice, "I'm right here, Mommy." He was standing on our next-door neighbor's porch about to ring the doorbell. He had just remembered that we had their little girl's Popsicle in our fridge, and he decided to return it at 3:00 in the morning!

I'm also a fan of a temporary tattoo, like this http://www.safetytat.com/ Put a parent's name and cell phone number on it. On a ship, mom or dad's name should be enough to help the crew. I wouldn't put the cabin number on it, though, for fear that the wrong type of person might "scope out" my child and then try to access the room.

Children under the age of 12 get an identification wristband as soon as they board. No need for a temporary tattoo.

I've been on 3 cruiselines (Disney, Royal and Carnival) and about 7 different ships and have never had swing bar locks on the doors.

Children under the age of 12 get an identification wristband as soon as they board. No need for a temporary tattoo.

I've been on 3 cruiselines (Disney, Royal and Carnival) and about 7 different ships and have never had swing bar locks on the doors.

Good points.

I thought the bracelet that the kids are tagged with were linked to your cabin. Does anyone know for sure? Does it only provide your muster station info?

About to embark on cruise 17 (nearly all the major lines) and I haven't seen a swing bar lock yet. I do think its a good idea, but I've only seen it in hotels.

Archived