X Leaving Baltimore / Mercury Retiring

ShakyBeef

Dear Shakybeef(love your screen name:)),

I'll see your 3 cruise offer and raise it to 4 cruises per year. DH and I are saddened beyond description at the demise of the Celebrity Mercury from the fleet. Not only that, I have implored Celebrity to base a replacement ship in the port of Baltimore. We love Baltimore because of its drivable location for us. If there are others wishing for a Celebrity vessel based in Baltimore, please stand up and whine and let Celebrity know.

Dear Shakybeef(love your screen name:)),

I'll see your 3 cruise offer and raise it to 4 cruises per year. DH and I are saddened beyond description at the demise of the Celebrity Mercury from the fleet. Not only that, I have implored Celebrity to base a replacement ship in the port of Baltimore. We love Baltimore because of its drivable location for us. If there are others wishing for a Celebrity vessel based in Baltimore, please stand up and whine and let Celebrity know.

I don't know when I'll stop being sad about this.:( The beautiful Mercury is gone - on her last voyage, right now. I'll never see her again. I want to cry. I know, I'm pathetic.:o Thanks for the support - you know, the whole 'misery loves company' thing.

Has Celebrity responded to your whining about a replacement ship out of Baltimore? I think I'll go ahead and whine to them, too. It can't hurt, right?:o

PS- Glad to hear you like my name, thanks!:)

I ran across this recent news article about the Port of Baltimore:

Baltimore draws big spenders for cruises

Posted: 5:44 pm Fri, February 11, 2011

By Associated Press

ANNAPOLIS — Carnival Cruise Line’s biggest spenders depart from the Port of Baltimore, the state’s top ports official is saying.

James White, executive director of the Maryland Ports Administration, told lawmakers Friday that the city’s cruise business is “booming” and that Carnival has said the most money it reaps aboard ships are on those departing from Baltimore.

The Port of Baltimore is scheduled for 112 cruise trips this year and has already planned 95 cruises for next year, White told members of the Senate’s budget committee. Carnival began booking cruises from Baltimore in 2009.

This seems to contradict the notion that Celebrity is leaving Baltimore because business is too low at this location. Maybe there's another reason for Celebrity's decision?

Marty

Posted: 5:44 pm Fri' date=' February 11, 2011 [/color']

By Associated Press

ANNAPOLIS — Carnival Cruise Line’s biggest spenders depart from the Port of Baltimore, the state’s top ports official is saying.

James White, executive director of the Maryland Ports Administration, told lawmakers Friday that the city’s cruise business is “booming” and that Carnival has said the most money it reaps aboard ships are on those departing from Baltimore.

The Port of Baltimore is scheduled for 112 cruise trips this year and has already planned 95 cruises for next year, White told members of the Senate’s budget committee. Carnival began booking cruises from Baltimore in 2009.

This seems to contradict the notion that Celebrity is leaving Baltimore because business is too low at this location. Maybe there's another reason for Celebrity's decision?

Marty

we sailed on carnival's legend out of baltimore to bermuda back in may of 2003? so they definetly used balt way before 2009................maybe they meant the pride...............

this has been stated before, but the century would be more than welcome to take over the mercury's cruises after she finishes her aussie cruises. i hear that they want a larger ship with more balconies...........the new reflecton could be the perfect answer, and baltimore could have a smaller X ship back............:D

Posted: 5:44 pm Fri' date=' February 11, 2011 [/color']

By Associated Press

Marty

Thanks for posting this, Marty.:) It helps reassure me that at least we won't be losing Carnival out of Baltimore. I love the Carnival Pride, but she's no Mercury. I hate that our only options out of Baltimore now are Carnival and Royal. I'd like to see Carnival bring in some of their other lines, like maybe Princess. But as long as I have options out of the port of Baltimore, that's where I'm going to be doing most of my cruising from. I'm just sorry I was so late in discovering Mercury - I could have had several cruises on her before she disappeared.

we sailed on carnival's legend out of baltimore to bermuda back in may of 2003? so they definetly used balt way before 2009................maybe they meant the pride...............

this has been stated before, but the century would be more than welcome to take over the mercury's cruises after she finishes her aussie cruises. i hear that they want a larger ship with more balconies...........the new reflecton could be the perfect answer, and baltimore could have a smaller X ship back............:D

Ditto for me -

Dear Celebrity, please send in another small X ship to fill the void Mercury has left!

Archived