Jamaica Rockland Bird Sanctuary

Am trying to put together a tour through a wheelchair accessible tour company in Jamaica because I will be on my scooter. Has anyone been to the Rockland Bird Sanctuary in Mobay and do you think I will be able to do this? I can walk very short distances and climb a few step if not too steep. I have searched the disabled threads but with no luck. Any other suggestions for Jamaica?

• 5 months later...

Found this over on 'Disabled Cruise Travel' board...

"Have just returned from Montego Bay, Jamaica. I'm partially disabled with limited mobility and used a Go Go mobility scooter. I was with my husband, daughter and 90 year old MIL. We hired a tour guide for the day through Admiral Bailey transportation services. Our driver was Steve. Although the Admiral does not have a wheelchair lift, we had no problems with the Go Go breaking down into 5 pieces. The car Steve drove was like a station wagon, so plenty of room and easy to get in and out of as opposed to up and down steps on a big tour bus. The admiral does have other size buses and vans, but this worked well for what we needed. Steve took my DH and DD to a Zipline and while they were zipping, he drove me and MIL to the Rockland Bird Sanctuary to hand feed the hummingbirds. There were a couple of small steps but easily managed for both me and MIL. It was an awesome experience. Then we picked up DD and DH and Steve took us to Pork Pit for lunch. Also, easily accessible. Steve was very informative, a great driver and lots of fun. Crazy experience to drive on the roads in Jamaica but he took us all around Mobay and safely back to the ship on time. Admiral Bailey called me several times before the trip and was able to answer all my questions and ease my fears. He even called us when we got home to make sure we had a good time. Admiral was very flexible with all of our requests. He had another group that day but made a point to meet us at the pier and also later in the day to make sure everything was going OK. Would highly recommend him if you do not need a wheelchair lift. Website is admiralbailytransportationservicesjamaica dot com and his email is admiral07@cwjamaica.com . Admiral also does tours out of Falmouth and Ocho Rios. We loved Jamaica and the people were very friendly. We always felt safe with Steve. No problem Mon!!!"

Archived