Question on Departure date: first time cruiser

sstrunks52005

I'm planning my first cruise and I'm looking for deals now. The date I'm looking for is around Dec 17-20 for a 7-9 day cruise. I've found a few but was curious about the departure dates. If it says dec 17, do I need to be in that departure city dec 16? Around what times do cruises leave? I'm not sure what date to book my flights.

any help would be great, thanks

You do not need to be there the day before if there are flights that get you in early enough, which should not be a problem, the ship won't be leaving until later in the day. The ships pull in in the early morning, and unload and then have to completely clean and reload the ship. You can check the exact itinerary on your cruise line's web site and check on your exact cruise, but generally count on a departure around 5 or later.

That being said, the advantage to getting there a day early, particularly in the winter months is not having to sweat the weather as it affects your flight. If you are going the day of departure, and there is a winter storm where you live or along your way, you might or might not make it in time. If you live where weather is not going to be an issue, then you can go in on the day or departure.

If you go in on the day of departure (and lots of people do that), the cruise line will have bus transportation to the dock if you do not want to arrange that on your own.

I'm planning my first cruise and I'm looking for deals now. The date I'm looking for is around Dec 17-20 for a 7-9 day cruise. I've found a few but was curious about the departure dates. If it says dec 17, do I need to be in that departure city dec 16? Around what times do cruises leave? I'm not sure what date to book my flights.

any help would be great, thanks

Any site your looking at should show you what time the ship is leaving the port. Look under the schedule where and what times your stops will be. Its pretty easy to figure out.

If you're flying in, I prefer to get in the day/night before... find a hotel with a cruise shuttle service (will take you from hotel to cruise and back to hotel when you return or to the airport). That way you're sure to be in town before the cruise boards.

General consensus is to be at the ship early on the day you leave. When I went on my only cruise we left at 4pm and I remember getting to the ship around 12pm. That gave us plenty of time to work through security and get settled before we left.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the info!

I see the one I'm looking at leaves at 10pm so should be plenty of time to arrive the day of.

I found a cruise for the date I want on the carnival victory for 400/person which seems like a very good deal for 7 days! I'm mostly just worried that the airfare will cost a lot more since it's only a month away.

Finding flights will be your biggest problem unless you live in a large city. We were looking at a last minute cruise, but the airfare cost more than the cruise itself. The problem is, airlines are flying less and the planes they use are the much smaller regional jets that only carry around 50 passengers, as opposed to ones that carry 150 or so.

thanks for the info!

I see the one I'm looking at leaves at 10pm so should be plenty of time to arrive the day of.

I found a cruise for the date I want on the carnival victory for 400/person which seems like a very good deal for 7 days! I'm mostly just worried that the airfare will cost a lot more since it's only a month away.

I wouldn't choose the Victory out of San Juan just because of the more expense flight. You can get the Valor out of Miami for $429 and it would be much cheaper to get to.

Also, there is no way if you do stick with San Juan that I would fly in the day of, even if the ship doesn't leave until 10.

There is also a 6 day on the Freedom for $339 and it's out of FLL which is even cheaper to fly to.

Also, there is no way if you do stick with San Juan that I would fly in the day of, even if the ship doesn't leave until 10.
I strongly agree. The one time (won't be doing this again) I sailed from San Juan, my friend and I arrived the day before - at my insistence. This was her first cruise and she was SO glad that I'd insisted on that. We had delays and re-routings to get to San Juan. We arrived about 9:45 p.m. We wouldn't have made it to the ship if we'd arrived the day of sailing. A number of passengers who flew in the day of sailing, didn't arrive in time. They had to fly to our first port to join the ship. Not a great way to begin a vacation.

I wouldn't choose the Victory out of San Juan just because of the more expense flight. You can get the Valor out of Miami for $429 and it would be much cheaper to get to.

There is also a 6 day on the Freedom for $339 and it's out of FLL which is even cheaper to fly to.

O yea I didn't even notice it would be out of state flight..the prices were double what it would be. About $900 compared to a flight to New york (350-400) or something.

I'm from Oklahoma too, actually.

One thing to remember when planning your flights, you have to be checked in and onboard the ship no later than 1.5 hours before the scheduled departure time. You also need to allow plenty of time to get your bags, get ground transportation, and then get to the pier, plus leave some leeway for delays. So for a 10pm departure from San Juan, if you have to fly in day of, make sure your flight is arriving no later than 6pm, but earlier is better. If you are sailing from South Florida, noon for a 4pm departure, 1pm for a 5pm departure is the latest you should arrive.

From Oklahoma, you might find deals out of Galveston and be able to catch flights on Southwest to Houston.

Archived