A Crazie Dream...togas, PJs, blinky lights...and a peter.

floatingaway2525

This was my fourth time to St Maarten and I knew how I was spending it...last times we had a tour that took us to Maho and it was way too short a time there so that was the plan...grab a taxi there, stay how we wanted, and then save some time for walking the promenade at Phillipsburg and having a beer at The Greenhouse to toast my heart peeps who could not make this sail:)

We were in St M from 8am to 6pm so it was a leisurely breakfast again on Lido, a great start to any day...remember what I was saying about the Lido outside omelette station on Starboard side mid-ship? Here is how is looked all week long, at all the different times we were there...

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

See the white sign, there was the line of oh...2 people...:p

ROFLMAO!!! ME too, I need to go back!! Actually I am home now from work and getting ready for Turkey Day with Mama's list of what she wants done by then:eek::rolleyes:...we've been discussing the fact that the Pope is NOT coming, it's just the immediate fam...jeesh...she ain't buyin' it:p

I'm hiding now and I get a respite because her DWTS is having the final tonight!!!:D

But,the bishop called, wanted to know if canoles are on the menu:p :cool:

We head off the ship around 10 and some of us were a few minutes behind the rest of us so we were waiting on the dock and I was amusing the Capt since this was his first time to St M...

IMG_3444.jpg

You know, we still had some seas goin' on, and after a minute there was a whoooooosh! sound that got me over to check out the sides of the ship:eek: Wow had never seen a ship heaving into the dock bumpers like this, actually rolling away from them and then whooooosh! back in, and these pics don't nearly do it justice....

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

St Maarten is an excellent port, lots of choices and easy transport right from the dock. As you exit the gate, to the left is the water taxi which will take you to the center-ish area of the waterfront in Phillipsburg. To the right is the land taxis that you can take anywhere on the island. There are signs to line up around for the most popular destinations, Orient Beach and the French side, or Downtown (Philipsburg). You can see the waterfront downtown and you can walk there in about 15 minutes.

Getting a taxi to Maho can be a challenge, mainly because it's out of the way and through a potentially sloooooow traffic area...we were totally blessed to find Marius, who pulled up for a fare and was the only one coming forward to take us to Maho. You ROCK Marius, thanks for showing us YOUR island!!

Marius is native to the island and we had a merry trip over to Maho, listening to his tales of island politics, and the changes he has seen over his 60-ish years:cool:

The fare was $6 each and we were five...when we got there Marius decided he would wait for us and read until we were ready to go back, he said it could be tricky getting a cab back and cautioned us on the best time to head back to miss the worst traffic (by 2:30). SInce we wanted some Philipsburg time anyhow that worked out perfect!!

IMG_3522.jpg

LOL,where is Vicki when I need her Photoshop skills?Just stick my big old head in there somewhereAnd I love the sign behind yall....BLISS....very appropriate.

HAHAHAAAA Bonfire my love:)...see that space next to me? It's yours...:cool:

Didn't see that sign before and you are exactly right!! That's right next door to the Sunset Beach Bar, which is at one end of Maho Beach and a perfect place for the best (well the best safest) view, AND great lunch and cold beers...that was our destination:D

Maho Beach is by no means the most impressive beach on the island, not even close. It's attraction is the most unique experience on a beach anywhere though...it's right at the end of the runway of Princess Juliana International Airport...and once you see it you never forget it! We had been there in January 2008 for a short time and ever since we knew we would go back for more time!

Now we had some surprises as we walked up through the parking lot there...first of all, Marius explained on the way over that "God takes the beach away in May, and He brings it back in November"...he wasn't kidding, this phenomenon greeted us first thing as there was no beach in view where the last time there was at least 40-50 feet of sand before ocean!!!

IMG_3465.jpg

By now it's a little after 11 maybe 11:30...and the next surprise was the people there...SO many more people than the last time, Maho has gotten famous since we were last here, and the Sunset Beach Bar is the place to be! So we stake our claim on floorspace and hop to a table shortly after when an opportunity arose:D Everyone was waiting for 12:30...

IMG_3461.jpg

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

The Scots are wondering what we're all waitin' for and what all those silly people are doing hanging out on rocks...

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

Another CC critter found the Scots and came over to say hey!!

IMG_3494.jpg

We saw the crowds continuing to increase along the rocks, with the road right behind it so we knew it was almost time...

IMG_3513.jpg

And there was Mama right in the middle of it!!

IMG_3509.jpg

Never thought I'd see Mama in front of a sign like this...she LOVED this place!!!

IMG_3515.jpg

We had an even merrier ride back downtown with Marius lol... and had some time to see what was new on the waterfront...quite a bit, St Maarten is growing!!! This is mixed bag for me, I like things to stay the same on my islands...but it don't work that way and it's wonderful for the folks that live there, mostly...Marius showed us some of the local streets on the way back...

I love this supermarket sign, see the discounts?

IMG_3525.jpg

This is a beautiful sculpture close to the waterfront, Marious was pleased we noticed as the islanders are quite proud of their history and St M had HUGE salt flats at one time....

IMG_3527.jpg

No bad traffic at all and pretty soon we were hugging Marius goodbye until next year and clutching his card as we headed to the front street...

This is a place I could happily spend a week or 10!! Along the beach is a sweet place called Holland House, out your back door and feet in the sand...

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

By next year this will be a Hard Rock, store is already open and my darlin' Cairne got me a pirate HR pin to add to my collection!

IMG_3546.jpg

I will leave you with this gem from Dano while I go get work done...that little lady you see after the first minute is Mama Floatie,she LOVES the MDR fun and is rockin' Jai Ho...you rock Mama!!:)

Tonight we'll get to the last sea days, more parties, special fun, and the CREW, Team Dream was fantastic!!!:D

if anyone is looking for netbooks, RUN to Tarjay, they have a decent one for $189 now through Wednesday :eek::rolleyes::p

Wished I knew that sooner. I will be sitting in the Best Buy parking lot Thursday night probably to get a new laptop/netbook.

Archived