Book Excursion or Not?

Dodger_Girl

My husband and I are going on a royal caribbean cruise next month and would like to know if it's worth the money to book an excusion at George Town or to just visit the seven mile beach for swimming and snorkeling?

What kind of excursion would you book? If you want to swim with the stingrays, then definitely do it, and you can do it at the pier.

Seven mile beach is beautiful. You can take a taxi and have them drop you off anywhere. It's probably easiest to have them drop you off at Royal Palms because that is a central spot, but the whole beach is public, so if you don't want to pay for chairs, you can just walk up or down the beach and plant yourself. Remember that everything in GC is every expensive.

It's a beautiful, safe island, so you'll be fine no matter where you go. Have fun!

You mentioned snorkeling...we were at 7 Mile Beach about 4 years ago. There is really no snorkeling there, from what I can see....meaning, offshore snorkeling (just walking in and snorkeling) - really nothing of interest to see, as there is no coral. At least on the portion of the beach where we were. Perhaps you can go out on a snorkeling excursion from there, and they will take you to where you can view the fish/coral, etc. If you are just looking to hang out on a pretty beach, it is very nice.

How close is the seven mile beach to Georgetown? That is where our cruise ship will be taking us and I'm not familiar with taxis in different countries.

It's about a 5 minute taxi ride to Royal Palms from the port. The island is tiny. Georgetown is the main town and where all the ships come in. You will take a tender to the port and get off there. There will be a ton of taxis waiting for you and you just tell them that you want to go to Seven Mile Beach. It's super easy!

My husband and I are going on a royal caribbean cruise next month and would like to know if it's worth the money to book an excusion at George Town or to just visit the seven mile beach for swimming and snorkeling?

There is good shore snorkeling at Georgetown, but not from seven (really five:p) mile beach. Eden rock is a short walk from the tender pier. Excellent snorkeling with easy iron shore entry. There's a short, one hour, snorkel guide trip on offer for familiarization with the best spots. When you get tired of snorkeling, spend the remainder of the day on the beach swimming an sunning.

Eden Rock is easy to find. You'll see their dive flag from your ship.

Located on the Waterfront at 124 South Church Street, Just a 5-minute walk from the Cruise Ship Tender Dock. Turn right along South Church Street, and walk south past the Paradise Bar & Grill to the first two story blue building on the waterfront. (We have a large dive flag flying)

“The dive shop is located seconds from George Town with friendly helpful staff and very detailed site maps. The shop is easily recognized by its pale blue building and big red apple with a white dive flag slash through it.

Do not be fooled by a sign at Paradise Bar and Restaurant, which has to be passed on the way to Eden Rock Diving Center when coming from George Town”.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/Snorkeling/Snorkeling.html

Archived