RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

This may not be a secret but it was great nevertheless.

On sailings where we have been lucky enough to have a balcony, in foreign ports and when your balcony is on the docked side of the ship, when the ship is close to sailing time, instead of going up to a deck or lounge for sailaway, just hang out on the balcony - Then as you see all the folks running for all glory be down the dock so as to make the ship on time start cheering and hootin' & hollerin' (you won't be alone) - it was hilarious! This was one of our favorite activities on more than one ship.

Shamed to say, I love to do that with fingers crossed it will NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR be us doing the running. Or missing the ship. :o

Bryan & Roger

I'm a tour operator & sleep in more hotel beds than my own. On my last Feeedom cruise (Sept 2010) our room steward bumped into us as we were headed to the solarium & said your room smells so nice!

Since I am a creature of comfort, I keep one thing around that feels like home. The scent. I ALWAYS bring a glade plug-in with the same scent I have at home. (I also bring a surge protector for extra outlets.)

-Ria

Great idea! Do you pack it in your checked luggage? Can't believe that security at the airport will allow it in your carryon, though. :rolleyes: Thanks... Bev

I know the ladies room outside the windgammer overlooks the water either on the Mariner or the Explorer, that is if my memory is correct. It is aging fast so I could be wrong. If we got ride of all the PCness the world would be a better place, remember sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me (only if you let them). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if you do not agree, and I for one am not happy that the 1 or 2 persons spoil things for the many. Just my opinion.

Any special hints for 1st time inside roommers. I am bringing nightlights, but anything else (love the idea of using spa fac for shower and extra dressing room).

Quoted from travelpeon:

Since there's no self-laundry, a reasonable substitute for those looking to pack minimally and not send their wash out is a large ziplock bag. There are 2.5 gallon ones available. Pop your clothes in, add water, then add a dollop of the provided shampoo, seal, and shake to create your own washing machine.

Love this idea! Thank you for posting it. I've been kind of dreading a 9 nighter with no self serve laundry and only outrageous priced laundry service. This is awesome! Shake shake shake.....lol.

Going on a 14 nighter, will remember the 2.5 gallon zip lock bag. already have the tide to go little packets.

I know the ladies room outside the windgammer overlooks the water either on the Mariner or the Explorer, that is if my memory is correct. It is aging fast so I could be wrong. If we got ride of all the PCness the world would be a better place, remember sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me (only if you let them). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if you do not agree, and I for one am not happy that the 1 or 2 persons spoil things for the many. Just my opinion.

Any special hints for 1st time inside roommers. I am bringing nightlights, but anything else (love the idea of using spa fac for shower and extra dressing room).

Last December was our first time in an inside room. We found that we didn't mind it one bit. Had our cell phone or alarm clock right next to the bed so that we didn't loose track of the time in the morning since it does stay nice and dark in there...but that's not entirely a bad thing. We didn't need a night light because there was a little light coming from under the door but bring it if you need more light than that. We didn't mind is so much that next week we'll be in another one of them :)

If you get caught short on a Freedom or Voyager class ship, remember that the boy's bathrooms are on the port side and the girl's bathrooms are on the starboard side.

However, I've still to work out how this ties in with the carpet colours :(

Thanks Jared, it will be a tight fit, as my dd and I are booked and possibly her boyfriend, and maybe dh, if he has a job by the 1st of the year. I put a little something in his bank account for christmas, wonder if he sees it. We have until 14 days out for him to make up his mind. We are driving to port so air fare is not an issue. If we like the insiders, especially on trips where we have seen the sites before, waiting until the last minute to book and saved a bundle looks like how I will be cruising in the future.

Last December was our first time in an inside room. We found that we didn't mind it one bit. Had our cell phone or alarm clock right next to the bed so that we didn't loose track of the time in the morning since it does stay nice and dark in there...but that's not entirely a bad thing. We didn't need a night light because there was a little light coming from under the door but bring it if you need more light than that. We didn't mind is so much that next week we'll be in another one of them :)

We actually prefer an inside cabin sometimes, especially if the weather won't let us use our balcony. (Outside cabins are becoming a thing of the past on the newer ships.)

The best story was when we did a Norwegian Fjords cruise. We chose an inside cabin and we found we had an extra bonus! We went above the arctic circle and we experienced the "midnight sun." We went to bed about 12:30 a.m. and woke refreshed the next morning. Many, many people, however, were complaining that they didn't get much sleep because it was like daytime in their cabins! Ours was dark and sleeping was not a problem! LOL

The inside cabins can be better, too, if you are going to be sailing in rough waters since they are in the center of the ship instead of on the outside. You feel less motion in the center of the ship (forward to stern and top to bottom, as well).

Hope this helps. Really nothing more than a night light, if you want more light then what usually comes in under the door, is all you really need.

Bev

In an inside cabin, the TV is your friend. One channel shows you the front view from the ship (tells you if the sun is up). Another channel gives ship time and tells you where the ship is at. It can also be a night light.

We do not spend much time in our cabin, so we save $.

Room service and all of the other nice things still work in an inside cabin.

Edited by jackretired

RCI doesn't tell you about the lack of sound-proofing between staterooms. We were awaken at about 1AM every night of our cruise by the activities of the honeymoon couple next door!!!! We didn't want to, but, we could hear everything... :eek: We did report this and several other problems to the Corporate Guest Relations of RCI. They said "Sorry... hope you have a better experience the next time you sail with us..." Are they kidding!!!:rolleyes:

Check the floor of the elevator as they change a plate as the days go by, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday etc. Take a picture of it each day so it helps u organize pictures later. Also there is something a out different colored carpet on port and aft? Please help on this one CC'ers...

On Independence the starboard carpets are red and the port ones blue.

If you plan on bringing a glade plug in for your cabin to smell nice you need to remember this....

1. You will need the plug in unit plus a NEW glass bottle scented cartridge w/ cap. Make sure the cap is on tightly & put both parts (unattached) in a ziplock.

2. TSA will take it away, you must keep it in your luggage. The glass wont break, roll it up in a pair of socks or something.

3. It won't fit properly in the little outlet under the mirror vanity. You will need to bring a surge protector. When you plug it in make sure it sits upright! You don't want the liquid to spill. The back of the plug should swivel.

4. Be sure you store the cap to seal the cartridge when it's time to go home. ;-(. This way you can store it in your luggage & have it ready for your next trip! (I'm a tour operator remember?)

If you use the gel plug ins then you dont need to worry about spilling liquid, but I get the costco packet that comes with 6 refils, so Im used to them. I know this may sound like too much work, but it's so much worth it! ESPECIALLY when you are in a non-smoking hotel room that clearly does not smell like one!!! Plug it in, plug it in!

Edited by Cruise718

If you plan on bringing a glade plug in for your cabin to smell nice you need to remember this....

1. You will need the plug in unit plus a NEW glass bottle scented cartridge w/ cap. Make sure the cap is on tightly & put both parts (unattached) in a ziplock.

2. TSA will take it away, you must keep it in your luggage. The glass wont break, roll it up in a pair of socks or something.

3. It won't fit properly in the little outlet under the mirror vanity. You will need to bring a surge protector. When you plug it in make sure it sits upright! You don't want the liquid to spill. The back of the plug should swivel.

4. Be sure you store the cap to seal the cartridge when it's time to go home. ;-(. This way you can store it in your luggage & have it ready for your next trip! (I'm a tour operator remember?)

If you use the gel plug ins then you dont need to worry about spilling liquid, but I get the costco packet that comes with 6 refils, so Im used to them. I know this may sound like too much work, but it's so much worth it! ESPECIALLY when you are in a non-smoking hotel room that clearly does not smell like one!!! Plug it in, plug it in!

Our inside cabins never had a problem with cabin smell. I think a plug in would be overkill in such a small space. I just don't feel the need to have our cabin smell like the great outdoors. Just MHO. We all have choices.

Bonnie,

You're right, we all have our opinions.

This is based on a prior post of mine. As a tour operator I spend over half the year on the road in hotel rooms, and it's tough, stale, and lonely. I dont get strong scents, I prefer light ones that smell like clean laundry. I tend to book balconies or jr suites so I have the space & the plug ins have a dial to adjust how much you prefer.

This was just a hint.

Bonnie,

You're right, we all have our opinions.

This is based on a prior post of mine. As a tour operator I spend over half the year on the road in hotel rooms, and it's tough, stale, and lonely. I dont get strong scents, I prefer light ones that smell like clean laundry. I tend to book balconies or jr suites so I have the space & the plug ins have a dial to adjust how much you prefer.

This was just a hint.

You gave your opinion, I gave mine. It's all good.

If you get caught short on a Freedom or Voyager class ship, remember that the boy's bathrooms are on the port side and the girl's bathrooms are on the starboard side.

However, I've still to work out how this ties in with the carpet colours :(

Port side has blue carpets...blue for boys...get it? ;)

Some ergonomics/design engineer worked many many months to come up with that. :D

More helpful hints!

If you're traveling with kids -- Some insist on bringing their own favorite pillow from home. If you do, be sure to put a colored/patterned /cartoon pillowcase on it. If you bring a white one, you want to make sure you leave with your own property.

If you're looking to buy ship souvenirs, T-shirts & such (besides stuff you bought in ports) wait for the last 2 days on board. That's when they unveil all the stock & clearance items! Just be careful you don't get trampled on at the watch boxed sets table! Haha!

There is nothing worse than hearing your neighbor's activities & conversations. (I roomed next door to a bitter, squabbling drunk couple last time & swore I would never do it again.) If you should happen to be in a connecting rm bring a roll of blue painters tape to seal the doorway & earplugs just in case they are honeymooners. And remember... If you can hear them, they can hear you.