Captain Dino Sagani - any comments

salty56

Has anyone sailed with Captain Sagani lately. What sort of captain is he.

Great Captain, youngest ever Princess Captain. We spent 38 nights last year on the Diamond with him, he is very sociable and willing to talk to all passengers. He even did an interview in the Princess theatre with the CD answering all sorts of questions. He also has a very lovely Australian wife who is from Wollongong. Would be very happy to sail with him again!

Happy cruising

Chris

Hi, I have also sailed with Dino Sagarni.. twice...once when he was on Pacific Princess,( before becoming Captain ), and on Dawn Princess since he has been made Captain. He is lovely.

and I am biased ..his wife is an Aussie.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to him at the most cruised passenger luncheon on the Dawn, and he is the nicest , down to earth person you could meet.

I would love to cruise on any other ship he is in charge of.

another favourite captain is David Calabrese.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Captain Dino Sagani is a great captain. He communicates so well with the passengers. Rather than just having the officer of the watch make announcements, Captain Sagani makes regular announcements to keep passengers informed.

On the Sapphire, there was a medical emergency, which required a helicopter medical evacuation of a passenger, by the U.S. Caost Guard. Captain Sagani kept all passengers informed, every step of the way. He explained that the delay could delay the ship's arrival at the next port, but he would sail full speed ahead, once we were underway again. (We really did make it to Victoria right on time, right on the stern of the Oosterdam. The Sapphire seemed to be with the Oosterdam, most of the way, on the r/t from Seattle cruise to Alaska.)

Also, I had the pleasure of sitting at Captain Sagani's table during the most traveled passengers' luncheon. As has been mentioned in other postings, he is so personable.

Enjoy your cruise with Captain Sagani !

We sailed with him on the Diamond going Sydney to Aukland and got to spend time with him on the bridge during the "behind the scenes" (can't remember the real name) tour. He spent an hour with us and was a great guy and answered a bunch of questions. I think he actually wasn't supposed to spend that much time with us because one of the other officers kept trying to get him to go somewhere else.

001564.jpgseawitch.gifCaptain Dino Sagani

Captain Dino Sagani was born in Trieste on the North East Adriatic coast of Italy. Following the family tradition, he studied at the Nautical College in Trieste, which is one of the oldest Nautical Schools in Europe - preparing officers since 1754.

On completion of his studies, he joined the Italian Navy, serving on a minesweeper during the First Gulf War. After the Navy, he joined Princess Cruises in 1995, where he quickly climbed the ranks becoming a Staff Captain in 2003.

Since then, he has sailed on Pacific Princess, Dawn Princess, Sun Princess, Sapphire Princess, Sea Princess and Diamond Princess.

We are sailing with him on the 8th Feb 2011, Sydney to Beijing.

He married one of the cruise lines Aussie Dancers :D She doesn't dance anymore :D

Very personable and likeable.....I did an ultimate ship tour of the Diamond when he was in command. He loves his ferrari steering wheel on the bridge :p

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback, he sound terrific, a bit like Nick Bates who we had on the Sapphire and has now retired, looking forward to it.

Agree, Nick Bates was one of the best captains, always had a funny saying of the day. We bought his book, "Pinch of Salt" this year on the Sapphire, it is a great read.

Happy cruising

Chris

Dino was the captain when my husband did the UST on Sapphire this May. DH was a recreational boater for years, and asked many questions. Dino was gracious and answered all of his questions. One actually stumped him, and at the CC Reception, he recognized my husband, and approached him with the answer.

Dino was captain of the Diamond on our October cruise and disembarked when we did on Oct 20. His daily briefing were funny because they were so very long and wordy, yet so informative and interesting and he came across as a very personable, friendly guy. He didn't just give the weather and co-ordinates but talked about the ports, and all kinds of things. We thoroughly enjoyed his briefings and thought he was a charming man and perfect ambassador for Princess.

Archived