South America cruise and malaria

murdo7

Hi

We went to Panama in Feb on Breamar.

We visited our Health Nurse for advice before hand.

Decided on Yellow Fever injections and did indeed buy Malerone tablets, as they are supposed to be the best but most expensive.

In the end we did not take the tablets as we took the point that the mossies came out at night, but we were back on the ship then.

While we were out we did drench ourselves in mossie spray though.

If you are going up the jungle well I would always take maleria tablets but we thought our tours were not quite up the jungle.

Hope that helps.

Take it easy.

Take professional advice, it is much the best way. Yellow fever innoculation is standard and has the benefit of lasting ten years. If, as I did on my last visit to the Amazon, you go into the jungle and stay overnight protection from malaria makes good sense.

Due to ever-changing health regulations, we suggest that you contact your local GP approximately 12 weeks prior to departure for the most up-to-date information on vaccinations and medication. Further information can be obtained from the Medical Advisory Service for Travellers Abroad (MASTA) www.masta.org. It’s also worth remembering that in some foreign countries general standards of hygiene, care and safety may differ from those in the UK.Regards Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, Head Office, Ipswich

Archived