NCL Star Family Suite/Penthouse Suite Privacy

MariahJ

My DH and I always got the inside cabin before because we spent very little time in our stateroom. However, we are about to book our next cruise for Nov. '11 in the Norwegian Star, and will be bringing our 15 month-old and my mom as our babysitter. The baby will be napping a lot and we don't want my mom to have to spend hours in a dark inside cabin while taking care of her. We're debating between getting an inside cabin for us and a room with either a large picture window or balcony for her, and getting a suite for all of us to share. Our concern is how much privacy we'd have in a suite. I have seen pictures on NCL's site but they're every small and it's difficult to tell. It looks like the main sleeping area is not in a separate room from the sofa bed but the sofa bed is kind of around the corner - and maybe there is some kind of curtain separating them?

What I'm looking for is the least expensive cabin arrangement that will allow my mom and the baby's room to have at least a large window, if not a balcony, but also allow DH and I to have some romance.

Any thoughts? TIA!

The family suite (AJ) or the AH would meet your needs, but the privacy would definitely suffer a bit. There are curtains to separate the sleeping areas and the views are great, but I'm not sure the curtains do much about sounds.

We had one of the AJs in Sept and it was fabulous- the cabin is huge. But there were only two of us, so privacy wasn't an issue.

For real privacy, the inside/balcony option might be your best bet. You also get two bathrooms/showers this way.

I would also suggest at least pricing out the AB. By the time you add the 3rd and 4th (if they charge for the baby) passenger charge which is minimal, you may find that the AB price is close to booking 2 cabins. Especially if they don't charge for the baby, then your mother would have to pay the single supplement.

Your Mother could use the extra bedroom and I've heard that some people just set up the crib in the dressing area by the closet, or in the living room area. There is a pocket door which completely closes off the bedroom for privacy, not to mention a gorgeous bathroom.

Enjoy, whatever you decide!

I was looking at the Family Suite (SJ), which is $1,149 pp, or the Penthouse Suite with balcony (SG) at $1,349 pp.

The 2 bedroom family suite (AB) for $1,999 pp, is the same price as the "Deluxe Owner's Suite". The "Deluxe Owner's Suite" (A2) is bigger and looks much nicer, but claims to only sleep 2 adults. If I try to book this it will let me put 3 adults and an infant in the cabin, though. Does anyone know if there is an extra sofa bed in an A2 cabin where my mom could sleep?

Luckily NCL is the only cruise line I am aware of that does not charge extra for infants, so it does make the suite a little more attractive since we'd be paying the single supplement to have my mom in her own cabin.

I was looking at the Family Suite (SJ), which is $1,149 pp, or the Penthouse Suite with balcony (SG) at $1,349 pp.

The 2 bedroom family suite (AB) for $1,999 pp, is the same price as the "Deluxe Owner's Suite". The "Deluxe Owner's Suite" (A2) is bigger and looks much nicer, but claims to only sleep 2 adults. If I try to book this it will let me put 3 adults and an infant in the cabin, though. Does anyone know if there is an extra sofa bed in an A2 cabin where my mom could sleep?

Luckily NCL is the only cruise line I am aware of that does not charge extra for infants, so it does make the suite a little more attractive since we'd be paying the single supplement to have my mom in her own cabin.

Owners suite may be larger, but it is one LARGE room, vs separate rooms. IF the AB on the STAR is the same as the Jewel class, that is the almost perfect solution.

If the Deluxe Owner Suite "claims to sleep 2", then that's what it is. They cannot overide this. The AB is a wonderful solution. Go here for pictures.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/427201728yUpUKw

This will be excellent privacy and provide a wonderful experience for everyone. Plus, the penthouse will have a butler and concierge. The butler will be very helpful especially with baby and grandmother. Meals in the room, DVD's, making grandma especially comfortable when you two are out for the night.

Ok, I was confused. The "Owner's Suite" only sleeps 2 but the "Deluxe Owner's Suite" actually sleeps 6 and is the same price ($1,999 pp) as the 2 bedroom family suite. It looks like the deluxe suite, while it only has one bedroom, would probably offer privacy in the one bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living area where my mom could sleep. I may try calling the cruise line to see if they can confirm that.

MariahJ, please check out the two middle DOS on deck 12 (if i remember correctly 12000 & 12500), both of these suites are two bedroom/two bathrooms. The only downside is there's no balcony, but oh my the view! Plus usually these are some of the "cheaper" suites, but a LOT of space.

On the November 13, 2011, the two center (12000 and 12500) are able to take 4 for a total price of $4836. The other two, (12002 and 12502) are only authorized 2 folks. You would all be very happy in the center ones.

Al

If you are referring to the Deluxe Owner's suites on deck 12, the 2 center ones #12000 and #12500 can accomodate up to 6. These " center" suites provide 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms + separate living room. Note that the 2nd bedroom offers a sofa bed and is very small and the 2nd bathroom is small too - not sure if a crib would fit in this room with the sofa bed extended? The end units or "corner suites" 12002 and 12502 can accomodate up to 4 and include 1 master bedroom + pull out sofa in separate living room, but has one 1 bathroom. These suites offer an extended viewing area. Any of these suites could comfortably accomodate 3 adults + infant. The difference between these and the "regular" owner suites, is that none of these deck 12 suites have a balcony, but instead offer floor to ceiling windows with views to die for. With an infant, I'd prefer this arrangement, but that is my preference and may not be yours. The other thing to add about these suites is that they were newly added this summer, so all of the furnishings will be new and "fresher" than the regular OS. IF you can afford it I would go with one of the newer DOS on Deck 12. You will then receive suite priviledges, which should make for a deluxe vacation, especially if your Mom will be helping with child duty. Hope it all works out for you!

If you are referring to the Deluxe Owner's suites on deck 12, the 2 center ones #12000 and #12500 can accomodate up to 6. These " center" suites provide 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms + separate living room. Note that the 2nd bedroom offers a sofa bed and is very small and the 2nd bathroom is small too - not sure if a crib would fit in this room with the sofa bed extended? The end units or "corner suites" 12002 and 12502 can accomodate up to 4 and include 1 master bedroom + pull out sofa in separate living room, but has one 1 bathroom. These suites offer an extended viewing area. Any of these suites could comfortably accomodate 3 adults + infant. The difference between these and the "regular" owner suites, is that none of these deck 12 suites have a balcony, but instead offer floor to ceiling windows with views to die for. With an infant, I'd prefer this arrangement, but that is my preference and may not be yours. The other thing to add about these suites is that they were newly added this summer, so all of the furnishings will be new and "fresher" than the regular OS. IF you can afford it I would go with one of the newer DOS on Deck 12. You will then receive suite priviledges, which should make for a deluxe vacation, especially if your Mom will be helping with child duty. Hope it all works out for you!

Thank you all for the info! At only $4,800 including port fees, I think it will be well worth it to upgrade to the Deluxe Owner's Suite. It was going to be ~$2,700 for the inside cabin and picture window separate cabins, and we get so many more benefits with this. I'm excited and can't wait to book it!

Here is link with photos of the various Suites on the Star. I would love to stay in one of the new deck 12 suites.

http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/2010/10/focus-onnorwegian-star-part-i.html

Also here is a link to a thread by a previous guest in one of the 2 bedroom DOS suites. It will give you a better sense of what the room will be like. Have fun!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1257166&highlight=snowmom

Here's the 2nd link from deckchair that shows general pictures of the Star. I think she is a beautiful ship!

Here is link with photos of the various Suites on the Star. I would love to stay in one of the new deck 12 suites.

Also here is a link to a thread by a previous guest in one of the 2 bedroom DOS suites. It will give you a better sense of what the room will be like. Have fun!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1257166&highlight=snowmom

Here's the 2nd link from deckchair that shows general pictures of the Star. I think she is a beautiful ship!

Thanks! That was great info. I'm wondering if I should book one of the smaller, side suites because we don't really need the extra bedroom (my mom could sleep on the fold out couch) and it sounds like we'd have a better view from the sides. Or maybe I should go with the guarantee and then have the possibility of being upgraded. Hmmm....

OK, somehow in my previous post, I posted the wrong link. Here is part two of deck chairs picture tour of the Star:

http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/2010/10/focus-onnorwegian-star-part-ii.html

Regarding the Guarantee - no telling what you will actually get - you might be disappointed if you get an owners suite that has curtains and not a door like some of the suites on deck 11 may offer? I would double check this with a travel agent or with a Norwegian Personal Cruise Consultant to make sure which categories you could get if you got an upgrade on the guarantee. I think the corner suites on deck 12 are the ones most in demand, so if one is avail for your sailing -and you are leaning that way, I would book ASAP. We currently are in one of the family suites ( but its me, 2 sisters and mom) so it will be a big slumber party for us, but if I could afford to swing an extra $1600 I would jump at one of the center suites for 4 of us, as there is one left for our sailing. Let us know what your decide.

Thanks! That was great info. I'm wondering if I should book one of the smaller, side suites because we don't really need the extra bedroom (my mom could sleep on the fold out couch) and it sounds like we'd have a better view from the sides. Or maybe I should go with the guarantee and then have the possibility of being upgraded. Hmmm....

Please take this as my thoughts, and not a judgement. Your Mom, has every right and expectation to be just as comfortable as you. Are you willing to sleep on a couch, stay in a dark room because lights and TV will disturb the young one. The 2 bedroom allows the young one to go to sleep in a bedroom, and Mom to come in when she is ready for bed. Before that, she has the living room, can have the drapes open, watch TV, read and just be comfortable. Please book the two bedroom. Everybody will be more comfortable.

Al

• 2 months later...

So, MariahJ, did you ever end up booking one of the Deluxe Owner Suites? I did! :D

I did! We booked one of the 6-person ones so my mom should have plenty of room. Are you on the 11/13 sailing?

Yes, we're (dh and I) on the 11/13/11 sailing in a 4 person suite! We'll be neighbors! How old will Juliana be? And your mom is going too, right?

Yes, we're (dh and I) on the 11/13/11 sailing in a 4 person suite! We'll be neighbors! How old will Juliana be? And your mom is going too, right?

Juliana will be 15 months old, her first cruise! My mom will be our designated babysitter. Is it just the two of you?

I haven't looked into shore excursions much yet, but I know we want to do cave tubing in Belize and we may do zip lining in Roatan. We did it in Costa Rica on the last cruise and loved it.

Juliana will be 15 months old, her first cruise! My mom will be our designated babysitter. Is it just the two of you?

I haven't looked into shore excursions much yet, but I know we want to do cave tubing in Belize and we may do zip lining in Roatan. We did it in Costa Rica on the last cruise and loved it.

Yes, it's just the two of us. I don't know about shore excursions yet, while I'm game for the more adventurous ones, my dh is an old stick in the mud!

Archived