Port Alberni?

I'm looking into a short cruise in 2011 that stops here, does anybody know what ships do at this port? It looks like it might be scenic cruising and if it was it would be fantastic. If it wasn't it could be a long day stuck on the ship as the town doesn't seem to offer a whole lot. Am I wrong?

Hi, are you talking about the 3 night Amsterdam cruise from Seattle next Sept? We are booked on that sailing with a stop in Port Alberni. On this sailing at least it is definitely a port stop from 9:00am - 5:00pm. No excursions available for booking yet, so have no idea what there is to do there.

Found this interesting link about the Statendams call at Port Alberni in 2009. Hopefully they have found forklift drivers by the time we visit :)

http://www.alberni.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13458

c-cruise thanks for that Info. I was not aware that Hal had been up the canal before and is planning on coming back. I think there are two cruises (short ones out of Seattle) planned for 2011.

That's quite an interesting small town forum. Not at all like CC. They agree and disagree without ruffling feathers or getting upset. :)

The Gangway incident was from 2009. I don't know if HAL returned this yr. or not.

I've been to Port Alberni and if folks think Astoria is a no go they really won't like PA :D

It is much closer to Long Beach and the West Coast for a tour there however and "Cathedral Grove" would be another spot to visit. We enjoyed the large trees once again last yr. on a cruise from Seattle that went to Naniamo. (we rented a vehicle)

It will be interesting to see what excursions they eventually end up offering. Kind of looking forward to the stop as it is someplace we haven't been. Nice to go to ports that aren't yet overrun by cruise ships.

Looks like HAL will call their twice next year. Once in May on the Statendam out of Vancouver and then again in Sept. on the Amsterdam out of Seattle.

Don't know what people have against Astoria. We've been there on a cruise and had a great time. Could have spent all day at the maritime museum.

• 2 weeks later...

NCL Pacific Northwest cruise in Sept '11 is stopping in Nanaimo, and one of the excursions looks like a steam train and it says Port Alberni.

And they all look pretty close together, Port Alberni, Nanaimo and Victoria.

We stop in Nanaimo first, then on to Victoria. We miss Port Alberni.

These all look like small ports. Not a lot of excursions anywhere, except San Francisco for us.

• 2 months later...
NCL Pacific Northwest cruise in Sept '11 is stopping in Nanaimo, and one of the excursions looks like a steam train and it says Port Alberni.

And they all look pretty close together, Port Alberni, Nanaimo and Victoria.

We stop in Nanaimo first, then on to Victoria. We miss Port Alberni.

These all look like small ports. Not a lot of excursions anywhere, except San Francisco for us.

Hello, I live in Nanaimo and, I'm a cruiser. I'm not sure what your definition of a small port is but, the town of Nanaimo is the second largest on Vancouver Island, with a population of approximately 80,000. I'm not sure what a comparable sized US port is?

The harbour and downtown area of Nanaimo are wonderful, not that I'm biased :). Truly though, there are so many shops and cafes and the beautiful islands and mainland mountains as a backdrop. A wonderful place to spend a day IMHO.

Back to the original post re: Port Alberni. That's a very different kettle of fish. It is very much a mill town and, although I'm certain it has its charms, I think that it wouldn't offer much to people who just want to walk off the ship and explore. Again, just my opinion, based on visits (albeit brief), to that town. I'll second the Cathedral Grove recommendation. It's a truly beautiful and awesome thing with enormous trees in a rainforest setting. It's only about a 20 minute drive out of Port Alberni. As for the West Coast and Long Beach, that'll take you a good 2 hours from Port Alberni, along very challenging twisty roads. It's up to you but, spending 4 hours of a 6 or 7 hour port stop in a vehicle doesn't do it for me.

There is a steam train in Port Alberni. They offer all sorts of fun things like Hallowe'en Haunt trains etc. I have never experienced it myself but, have heard good things about it.

If you or any of your travelmates are fly-fishermen, you'll be in heaven! World-class fishing is right outside the gangplank. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention outfitters/guides here but, if you google "fly-fishing Port Alberni" I can assure you this one name will come up. They are a very well-respected, world-renowned group of guides.

I'd just like to say, in its defence, we found Astoria to be a wonderful place. We were there last year, RV'ing at Fort Stevens. We'd never been to Oregon before and we were very pleased to discover a great little place like Astoria nearby. The buildings were just beautiful. The little train along the waterfront was quaint and fun. The pubs and restaurants were all warm and welcoming and the weekly craft fair was one of the best I've been to - and I go to a LOT of artisan shows. We didn't get to visit the Maritime Museum, we were too busy just walking and admiring the architecture and generally exploring but, it looked wonderful from the outside and hopefully we'll get a chance to go there in a future visit. I'm not sure what it's like coming in as a cruise passenger but, as a drive-in visitor I would highly recommend it to anyone. And, I do.

Archived