Aft Balcony or Hump on Westerdaam for Alaska

hoophome

Hi, I will be going on a family reunion cruise to Alaska next summer (August) on the Westerdaam. It will be the first cruise for my parents and to treat themselves they are going to get a Deluxe Verandah Suite on the 7th floor so they can be close to the Neptune Lounge. Most everyone else will be on the 5th floor.

I have cruised 3 times before so they are looking to my expertise to guide them on which room to get. I have no experience with suites, and little do they know "my expertise" is really the help from all of you as many of you are much more knowledgeable about this than me :).

So my question is this, they can get a hump cabin SB7088 or an Aft Balcony cabin SB7142. My gut tells me the Aft Balcony is better because of the huge balcony where and having 2 "sides" to see things from. Plus with such a large space and balcony more of the family can come visit as well. But the hump is more central to neptune lounge and a shorter walk in general to everything on the ship including everyone else's rooms. They are in their 70's and have no disabilities getting around but they are conncerned about minimizing how much they walk.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

If bringing food/drinks to and from the lounge is an issue, they could probably introduce you to the lounge staff the first day and explain that you'll be doing some of the fetching and carrying.

There are also comfortable chairs and a big table there if they want to eat their breakfast/snacks there.

The bump balconys have less privacy, if that matters to them.

If they are up for the walk, I'd take the aft because of the much bigger, less windy verandah. We have friends who have always choosen the hump; its cabin is bigger and they are closer to the Neptune. But they are considering changing to the back corner for an upcoming cruise. They are both nice cabins

You answered your own question when you said they are concerned about minimizing the walk. They will do a lot of extra walking if they take the aft balcony. It's lovely but maybe not for them. We had one once and the walking made leaving the cabin an expedition.

I booked a forward facing SS on the Zuiderdam for next August. When I looked at the plan it seemed that there was a portion of the balcony that was side facing and would be sheltered from the wind by the partition.

I wanted it mainly for the scenic cruising in Glacier Bay and was thinking that the ship would be moving quite slowly so that wind would not be too much of a factor. Am I wrong?

Privacy is not an issue as we will be bundled up in jackets and hats. For a southern cruise I would not like to have this cabin as I do like to lie out on the balcony and take in the sun.

I booked a forward facing SS on the Zuiderdam for next August. When I looked at the plan it seemed that there was a portion of the balcony that was side facing and would be sheltered from the wind by the partition.

I wanted it mainly for the scenic cruising in Glacier Bay and was thinking that the ship would be moving quite slowly so that wind would not be too much of a factor. Am I wrong?

Privacy is not an issue as we will be bundled up in jackets and hats. For a southern cruise I would not like to have this cabin as I do like to lie out on the balcony and take in the sun.

I'm thinking, I may be wrong so Please do not hold me to this, but I am thinking that when approaching at least one of our ports next week, that the speed of the ship MAY be nearly the same as the slow cruising at the glaciers.

So, I will stand on the side verandah and report back to you if it is breezy or not.

I know others have reported that they felt it was to breezy/windy for them, but then I look at it like the food, some like it, some do not.

Joanie

I would opt for cabin 7142 in a heartbeat but it will have two definite downsides. One, there will potentially be a lot of walking involved; two, the entire family will undoubtedly wind up hanging out and partying on the beautiful huge balcony. The first downside can be eliminated with some judicious planning; the second will be pretty much unavoidable. I love aft cabins!

I would opt for cabin 7142 in a heartbeat but it will have two definite downsides. One, there will potentially be a lot of walking involved; two, the entire family will undoubtedly wind up hanging out and partying on the beautiful huge balcony. The first downside can be eliminated with some judicious planning; the second will be pretty much unavoidable. I love aft cabins!

That's my Stateroom in September!!:D:D

Joanie

I have been in an aft SB suite on the Westerdam last year in Alaska. Unfortunately, this trip we got a lot of rain on the cruise. :rolleyes: Because the back ( large) balcony was uncovered, it was basically unusable for the bulk of the cruise. I say stay with a side balcony with nice covered veranda so that you can enjoy the view outside on your veranda without getting soaked in the rain.

It's a lesson learned for us, when in a colder or rainy climate it's a covered balcony for us.:D

Have a wonderful family cruise.:) May I suggest SC5190 or SC5191

The balcony is huge. and covered .. great privacy and such a plus if there's rain.... same deck as the rest of the family.

Ashort walk to elevators will take you up or down to all dining venues......it is the same walk for everyone to the show room after dinner ;)

The Neptune is wonderful ..but most help the conceirge provide can be done by phone as well... .Glass elevators mid ship are just around the corner from Neptune.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful time..

Colleen

I'm thinking, I may be wrong so Please do not hold me to this, but I am thinking that when approaching at least one of our ports next week, that the speed of the ship MAY be nearly the same as the slow cruising at the glaciers.

So, I will stand on the side verandah and report back to you if it is breezy or not.

I know others have reported that they felt it was to breezy/windy for them, but then I look at it like the food, some like it, some do not.

Joanie

Thank you Joanie---that would be helpful. I wouldn't be changing cabins at this point but it will let me know if I need to bring a heavier coat.

One of the reasons for choosing this cabin was that it seemed to have a lot of extra space, so we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you Joanie---that would be helpful. I wouldn't be changing cabins at this point but it will let me know if I need to bring a heavier coat.

One of the reasons for choosing this cabin was that it seemed to have a lot of extra space, so we'll see.

I kept my promise!!

Only one day was it to breezy to be on our side verandah on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The winds were coming at us from an angle in the following direction / onto the port side of the ship (the side our side verandah was on) and one other day on the starboard side the same direction. Both days the winds were at around 27 knots. It was to breezy to be on the verandah (side verandah) at those times.

When we entered ports the breeze was very slight and when you were by the dividers or sitting you could not feel the breeze at all.

Joanie

Another thing to consider is that all the whale watcher and naturalist on board always say that you can see more whales and seals off the rear of the boat. Apparently they like to play in the prop wash because it stirs up so much "food" off the bottom. Another consideration is that every time we have been in Glacier Bay or at Hubbard, the ship just stays in one spot and rotates a couple of times, weather conditions permitting so there really isn't a bad seat in the house at the glaciers. Just more things to add to your confusions.

Another thing to consider is that all the whale watcher and naturalist on board always say that you can see more whales and seals off the rear of the boat. Apparently they like to play in the prop wash because it stirs up so much "food" off the bottom. Another consideration is that every time we have been in Glacier Bay or at Hubbard, the ship just stays in one spot and rotates a couple of times, weather conditions permitting so there really isn't a bad seat in the house at the glaciers. Just more things to add to your confusions.

In my opinion now, having cruised on Port and Aft Wrap Around Staterooms and viewing Alaska and Caribbean Itineraries.... The Aft Wrap Around are the best. We saw flying fish off our aft verandah, I saw Orcas playing off the far aft port side (we were further to the front so my photos are from a distance) If I'd been in the Aft Stateroom for our last Alaska I'd have had awesome photos.

In my opinion though, there are no bad outside staterooms for Alaska, but some are in better positions:)

Joanie

My two cents: If you want Alaska scenery, there is no better platform than the aft wrap-around with it's 270 degree view. (See photo below) Can't get that view from either side.

If you are worried about the weather (rain, snow) get the fully covered one. (See other photo below.)

The amount of time you may go to the Neptune to get snacks can be spent looking at Alaska and ordering room service.:D

The outdoor space (for viewing Alaska ... why else are you going?) is 3 to 5 times as big. Our wrap in Zuiderdam 5191 was almost 450 square feet.:eek: I measured it.

Have a GREAT CRUISE!

P1000269_0583.jpg

BALCONY3.jpg

We have stayed in SB/7088 4 times and loved it. Twice going to Alaska and twice going to the Caribbean. We didn't find it windy going to Alaska unless the weather was bad and then it was windy everywhere. As travelmatron said we will be trying the aft 7151 next Feb. This is her favorite cabin and we liked it as she was so kind to let us explore it in Nov. Now both DH and I have problems with walking so we'll see how the aft works out. 7088 was not bad for walking, near elevators and not far from the Neptune Lounge. So unless you get a cabin across from the Neptune Lounge the other two will be more of a walk. HTH. Have a great cruise.:)

Archived