Gdansk on Sunday

cpetcruiser

We will be in Gdansk on Sunday and were wondering if anyone has attended Mass at any of the churches/Cathedral. Do you think this would be frowned upon? We are Cathlolic, so although we won't understand the words being spoken will we be able to sort of fake our way through the service (are the American and Polish services that different?)? Any help would be appreciated.

We are Jewish and because of the beauty of the catherdrals and the services we have attended services in the Caribbean, Spain, Austria. Italy. We even were welcomed at a wedding in Barcelona. We don't speak Spanish but you definitely knew what the priest was telling the groom about being on good behavior! Go and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Gdansk on Sunday and were wondering if anyone has attended Mass at any of the churches/Cathedral. Do you think this would be frowned upon? We are Cathlolic, so although we won't understand the words being spoken will we be able to sort of fake our way through the service (are the American and Polish services that different?)? Any help would be appreciated.

It should be no problem attended services other than them being very crowded. You will be welcomed with warm hospitality. There are 34,000,000 Cathlolics in Poland, about 95% of the population and over 50% regularly attend services. The language is Polish but the services will be familar as the Roman tradition as are those in the US. There are about 300,000 Orthodox Cathlolics in Poland also. They are mostly of Belarussian or Ukrainian descent and not ethnic Poles. I think Poland is the most Cathlolic of all European countries including Italy. That will change however now that Poland is a member of the EU so it will be easy for those wishing a lower cost of living to move there from other parts of the EU and bring their more diverse faiths with them. All the EU countries are seeing more immigration and movement between countries and from the Middle East, Africa, Asia and India.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info. Just wanted to post the following for anyone who is interested:

We are planning on attending a service at St. Mary's Basilica in Gdansk. Good old www.masstimes.org didn't have anything so from the Basilica's website (www.gsd.gda.pl/parafie/wniegda/) and a Polish-English translation tool (www.dict.pl/plen?lang=EN) I have been able (I think) to make out the following:

Saint Mary's Basilica Mass Times

Service Schedule

Weekdays

6.30 - morning mass

7.30 - morning mass

18.00 - mass from 1.X to 30.IV

19.00 - mass from 1V. to 30.IX

On Sunday and Holy Days

6.30 - mass on holiday

7.30 - mass before afternoon

8.30 - mass before afternoon

9.30 - mass before afternoon

10.30 - totally in latin language

12.00 - afternoon mass

18.00 - mass from 1.X to 30.IV

19.00 - mass from 1.V to 30.IX

Here is the original Polish:

DNI POWSZEDNIE

6.30 - msza sw. poranna

7.30 - msza sw. poranna

18.00 - msza sw. od 1.X do 30.IV

19.00 - msza sw. od 1V. do 30.IX

W NIEDZIELĘ I ŚWIĘTA

6.30 - msza sw. w wakacje

7.30 - msza sw. przedpopołudniowa

8.30 - msza sw. przedpopołudniowa

9.30 - msza sw. przedpopołudniowa

10.30 - suma w języku łacińskim

12.00 - msza popołudniowa

18.00 - msza sw. od 1.X do 30.IV

19.00 - msza sw. od 1.V do 30.IX

So if there's anyone out there who speaks Polish and would like to correct this, PLEASE DO!!! I still don't know what the "1.X to 30.IV" means - but I think we'll be attending the noon mass so I'm not that concerned about it. This all is of course assuming that the info on the Basilica's website is current (which I know is not the case for a lot of American churches). If we find anything different when we get there, I'll be sure to post when we get back.

Also, if anyone knows where the Princess ship's transfer from Gdynia to Gdansk drops you off in Gdansk, we'd be interested in knowing that so we can plot our course.

Christine

Archived